Flight control repairs

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
Can I get some guidance on flight control repairs?

Rudder and elevators 170B

It looks like the rudder has a repair over a repair. This could also be original but it looks kinda suspicious.

Elevator needs new skin because of corrosion. Is it acceptable to just repair the 6" or so that need replacing or does the whole skin need to be replaced. I know you cannot put putty on control surfaces I could not find any reference to patches or splices of actual skins.

Dan

It looks like the rudder has a repair over a repair. This could also be original but it looks kinda suspicious.

Elevator needs new skin because of corrosion. Is it acceptable to just repair the 6" or so that need replacing or does the whole skin need to be replaced. I know you cannot put putty on control surfaces I could not find any reference to patches or splices of actual skins.

Dan

A Quote from FAR 43-A
Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance
(a) Major alterations —(1) Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:

(i) Wings.

(ii) Tail surfaces.

(iii) Fuselage.

(iv) Engine mounts.

(v) Control system.

(vi) Landing gear.

(vii) Hull or floats.

There are actually 4 skins that make up the rudder there are 2 lower skins that are about 12" tall that form the lower curve of the rudder.

Last edited:
I have completed about 10 re-skinning of these .

The wrinkle skins can be bought from Karl Anderson "Aircraft Northwest" in Bo, Washington. 1-360-727-1946. they are very nice and actually fit..

When recovering the elevators, get the torque tube cleaned by bead blasting with 1100 grit glass bead. and checked for corrosion pitting before re-covering.

Last edited:

Dan

As you have discovered, the C-170 has no maintenance manual, thus, it is supported by the AC43,13 for repair data. If you deside to patch use this data as approved data and site page and para in block 8 of the 337 this does not require a field approval, send the 337 direct to OKC. as soon as the IA signs it.

Has something recently changed that I managed to miss? Last I knew the signed-off 337 went to the local FSDO and they sent it on to Ok City.

Jim

Has something recently changed that I managed to miss? Last I knew the signed-off 337 went to the local FSDO and they sent it on to Ok City.
That changed a couple of years ago. When field approval is not required, it now goes direct to OKC -- saves time, money, and work.

Thanks, Ron. That one must have gone right by me. I caught the one about the two-year renewal with one-year recency requirements, but the 337 to Ok City slipped right by me. I'm surprised my PMI didn't let me know about it because the last few I did I sent to the FSDO.

They probably thought it would be less hassle for both of us for them to just put it in one of the packages already going to the Puzzle Palace at Will Rogers as I don't do enough of them to make a lot of difference.

Jim

A Quote from FAR 43-A
Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance
(a) Major alterations —(1) Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:

(i) Wings.

(ii) Tail surfaces.

(iii) Fuselage.

(iv) Engine mounts.

(v) Control system.

(vi) Landing gear.

(vii) Hull or floats.

There are actually 4 skins that make up the rudder there are 2 lower skins that are about 12" tall that form the lower curve of the rudder.

I took some pics for you. I am sure they are just patches it just seems odd that they would patch over a patch.

So for a correction I should probably just replace the lower part.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCN1427 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1427 (Medium).JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 60
Here are the elevator pics. I ordered full panels rather than just spicing in the bad parts. I am going to look up AC43,13.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCN1429 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1429 (Medium).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1430 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1430 (Medium).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 52
I did not find anything other than it needs to be same weight wise as the original or as close to it as possible. There was some mention of replacing the whole panel as opposed to a patch if larger areas are repaired.

Dan

That changed a couple of years ago. When field approval is not required, it now goes direct to OKC -- saves time, money, and work.

I actually sent it to the Local FSDO, with (337) written in the lower left corner and they collect them and forward. It really makes no difference. the airworthiness inspectors won't see it unless you address it directly to them and place the words " field approval needed." in the lower left corner.

I did not find anything other than it needs to be same weight wise as the original or as close to it as possible. There was some mention of replacing the whole panel as opposed to a patch if larger areas are repaired.

Dan

Those look pretty bad, the rudder looks like it got hit by the tail wheel when the spring broke. twice.

The elevators need to be reskined completely.

Did you order the skins from Karl?

Those look pretty bad, the rudder looks like it got hit by the tail wheel when the spring broke. twice.

The elevators need to be reskined completely.

Did you order the skins from Karl?

I did not know about Karl at the time I ordered them from Wag-Aero. They are being picked up at Oshkosh. I also ordered the farings for the Champ, saved a lot of shipping some were 128" long I think.

Worth replacing bottom of rudder or leave it alone?

Dan

I did not know about Karl at the time I ordered them from Wag-Aero. They are being picked up at Oshkosh. I also ordered the farings for the Champ, saved a lot of shipping some were 128" long I think.

Worth replacing bottom of rudder or leave it alone?

Dan
Reskin the whole thing.

You'll fine it is corroded too,,,,,,,inside.

I would also have a good look at the vert and horizontal too.

I had to replace 22 skins on this aircraft. the only thing I saved was the rudder post/fittings, and the horizontal spar rom the rear cabin former back.

also check under the tail wheel spring fitting to see if it is corroded or cracked. stick a bore scope thru the rudder cable holes and see what is in there. most of the after most skins are cracked along the angle that runs up from the tail wheel spring fitting.

That area takes a hit every time the aircraft lands tail wheel first.

Attachments

• 2801C gas pumps.jpg
    2801C gas pumps.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I did not know about Karl at the time I ordered them from Wag-Aero.
Dan
I'll wager you are not going to be happy with the wrinkle skins from Wag-Aero.

They stamp a whole 4X8 sheet and they get the wrinkle wrong. and then they saw out the skins on a band saw.

I'll wager you are not going to be happy with the wrinkle skins from Wag-Aero.

They stamp a whole 4X8 sheet and they get the wrinkle wrong. and then they saw out the skins on a band saw.

I wonder if they would sell a whole sheet?

This plane has hail damage. It will never be a show plane. I am going for more of anAirworthy than looks type. I have to do what the customer wants as far as how good do I make it look. So as long as it is airworthy... I still think it will be a nice plane just not show quality. The Champ on the other hand is going to be nice.

Dan

I had to replace 22 skins on this aircraft.

N2801C is gorgeous, Tom... every aircraft I see that you've touched makes me want to own it. Whatever happened to the rubber duck from Austin, TX?

Last edited:
N2801C is gorgeous, Tom... every aircraft I see that you've touched makes me want to own it. Whatever happened to the rubber duck from Austin, TX?

"Ka-Wack" is alive and well living with family and friends on my computer desk, but when he is on flight duty he rides the fairchild instrument panel, and is about to flight test the dern thing.

We'll get pics when it happens.

Attachments

• The Big Red One 019.jpg
    The Big Red One 019.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM0402.jpg
    HPIM0402.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 24
If he is not perminately installed, when the going gets a little bumpy he will have a quackup.

Today I found the reason for the corrosion on the elevator. It was a mouse nest. It did not hurt the spar but I think the outer rib and tip may need a replacement. Good thing is, it is put together as a unit so I may just be able to find another piece. I have not cut the new skins as of yet but they look nice.

Dan

Tom is correct the FARs changed back in Nov. 2006 and requires 337 be forwarded to Oklahoma City by the A&P/IA after return to service. However if you happen to send one to the local FSDO a maintenance inspector will review it before forwarding it to Oklahoma City.

The FSDO guy’s used to be the second set of eye to make sure there were no mistakes on the 337s now it up to the IA to make sure they haven’t made a mistake. Aircraft records sections in Oklahoma does not review the 337s they just scan them only.

I have provided the FAR rule that changed sending them to OKC.

FAR Part 43 Appendix B to Part 43—Recording of Major Repairs and Major Alterations
c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this appendix, for a major repair or major alteration made by a person authorized in § 43.17, the person who performs the major repair or major alteration and the person authorized by § 43.17 to approve that work shall execute an FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—
(1) Given to the aircraft owner; and
(2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

[Doc. No. 1993, 29 FR 5451, Apr. 23, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 43-10, 33 FR 15989, Oct. 31, 1968; Amdt. 43-29, 52 FR 34101, Sept. 9, 1987; Amdt. 43-31, 54 FR 34330, Aug. 18, 1989; 71 FR 58495, Nov. 3, 2006; Doc. No. FAA-2007-28631, Amdt. 43-41, 72 FR 53678, Sept. 20, 2007]

Today I found the reason for the corrosion on the elevator. It was a mouse nest. It did not hurt the spar but I think the outer rib and tip may need a replacement. Good thing is, it is put together as a unit so I may just be able to find another piece. I have not cut the new skins as of yet but they look nice.

Dan

Cut the skins????? If you got the right set they do not require cutting.

there are 3 different shaped elevators on the 170 series.

Know which one you have before cutting anything.

Your 170 may have had the wrong elevators on it before you saw it.

It's pretty common.

However if you happen to send one to the local FSDO a maintenance inspector will review it before forwarding it to Oklahoma City

I was told by my PMI that they do not see and 337s that come thru the SEA FSDO.

Do you have authorization to inspect the 337s? who gave that authorization to you?

Cut the skins????? If you got the right set they do not require cutting.

there are 3 different shaped elevators on the 170 series.

Know which one you have before cutting anything.

Your 170 may have had the wrong elevators on it before you saw it.

It's pretty common.

What I got was ribbed material it still needs to be cut to fit. It is PMA'd I am using the old skins for a pattern.

Dan

What I got was ribbed material it still needs to be cut to fit. It is PMA'd I am using the old skins for a pattern.

Dan

How are you going to cut the wrinkled material with out crushing the wrinkles?

Back