Flight control minor alterations

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Is there such a thing IAW 43-A?
(a) Major alterations—

(1) Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:

(i) Wings.

(ii) Tail surfaces.

(iii) Fuselage.

(iv) Engine mounts.

(v) Control system.

(vi) Landing gear.

(vii) Hull or floats.

(viii) Elements of an airframe including spars, ribs, fittings, shock absorbers, bracing, cowling, fairings, and balance weights.

(ix) Hydraulic and electrical actuating system of components.

(x) Rotor blades.

(xi) Changes to the empty weight or empty balance which result in an increase in the maximum certificated weight or center of gravity limits of the aircraft.

(xii) Changes to the basic design of the fuel, oil, cooling, heating, cabin pressurization, electrical, hydraulic, de-icing, or exhaust systems.

(xiii) Changes to the wing or to fixed or movable control surfaces which affect flutter and vibration characteristics.

Doesn't all alterations of flight controls effect the flutter characteristics?

Define "characteristics".

char·ac·ter·is·tic
ˌkariktəˈristik/Submit
noun
plural noun: characteristics
a feature or quality belonging typically to a person, place, or thing and serving to identify it.
"inherited characteristics such as blood groups"
synonyms: attribute, feature, quality, essential quality, property, trait, aspect, element, facet; More
MATHEMATICS
the whole number or integral part of a logarithm, which gives the order of magnitude of the original number.

Doesn't all alterations of flight controls effect the flutter characteristics?

Mabe-mabe not. first one must define alteration. (the way the FAA sees it)

I would think any alteration to a control surface would be considered major by the FAA.

I would think any alteration to a control surface would be considered major by the FAA.
That is how I read the FAR, but we see a lot of added tabs to correct flight control rigging problem yet no field approvals.

If you add a static wick to a rudder is it a major or a minor alteration?

What is the formula for figuring the flutter influence ?

That is how I read the FAR, but we see a lot of added tabs to correct flight control rigging problem yet no field approvals.

If you add a static wick to a rudder is it a major or a minor alteration?

What is the formula for figuring the flutter influence ?

Anything added, especially aft of the CG of the surface I would consider major requiring it to be acceptable by the Manufacturer/TC, an STC, or the Field Approval process. Adding an unapproved tab would make me quite nervous.

Anything added, especially aft of the CG of the surface I would consider major requiring it to be acceptable by the Manufacturer/TC, an STC, or the Field Approval process. Adding an unapproved tab would make me quite nervous.

And if it still remains within balance limits of the control?

And if it still remains within balance limits of the control?

For legal or personal aspects? Are we talking the wick or the tab? Legally, unless it's 'approved by the administrator' through some mechanism, I can't see it as anything but major by that FAR, there may be other guidance that allows it.:dunno: Personally, a wick would not bother me if everything was in balance. An unapproved tab that changes the aerodynamic properties of the surface in order to cure a rigging deficiency is unacceptable.

back to the question, doesn't every thing have the possibility to effect flutter and or vibrations?

If that is true, there can not be any minor alterations of a flight control.

Isn't that why the FAA requires a flight control to be re-weighed each time it is painted? even when the surface was painted prior to stripping and re-painting.

But then again, there is no requirement to have any documentation for the re-painting other than the log book entry.

back to the question, doesn't every thing have the possibility to effect flutter and or vibrations?

If that is true, there can not be any minor alterations of a flight control.

Isn't that why the FAA requires a flight control to be re-weighed each time it is painted? even when the surface was painted prior to stripping and re-painting.

But then again, there is no requirement to have any documentation for the re-painting other than the log book entry.

I agree, I don't see any modification allowable as a minor mod. Reprinting is not a modification, it is maintenance, and requires balance check to assure maintenance was performed correctly.

I agree, I don't see any modification allowable as a minor mod. Reprinting is not a modification, it is maintenance, and requires balance check to assure maintenance was performed correctly.

No, you can screw up a paint job and have it balance, The FAA requires it because it is in the MM.

No, you can screw up a paint job and have it balance, The FAA requires it because it is in the MM.

But it's still maintenance and not a modification. The MM has you balance because that is the flight critical part of the maintenance.

But it's still maintenance and not a modification. The MM has you balance because that is the flight critical part of the maintenance.

So, you change the balance, you change the balance.

Federal Aviation Administration
Small Airplane Directorate (ACE-100)
901 Locust St., Room 301
Kansas City, MO 64106

Phone: (816) 329-4100
Fax: (816) 329-4106

Seattle ACO
1601 Lind Avenue, SW
Renton, WA 98055-4056

PH: (425) 917-6400
FAX: (425) 917-6590

In other words you don't know either.

I don't but I just watched a long series on the designing and building of the Airbus A380 and despite all of the expertise and sophisticated software and computers that's exactly what they did in the end.

I don't but I just watched a long series on the designing and building of the Airbus A380 and despite all of the expertise and sophisticated software and computers that's exactly what they did in the end.

Yep, after all the prediction is done, you still have to go out and test it to prove it.

Federal Aviation Administration
Small Airplane Directorate (ACE-100)
901 Locust St., Room 301
Kansas City, MO 64106

Phone: (816) 329-4100
Fax: (816) 329-4106

Seattle ACO
1601 Lind Avenue, SW
Renton, WA 98055-4056

PH: (425) 917-6400
FAX: (425) 917-6590

Were you in doubt I knew where my PMI works?

Were you in doubt I knew where my PMI works?

Do you know the difference between a "FSDO" and an "ACO"?

Do you know what the Small Airplane Directorate does?

If you did (you obviously don't) then you could get your question answered.

It truly amazes me that you hold an IA certificate. :rolleyes2: :nonod:

Do you know the difference between a "FSDO" and an "ACO"?

Do you know what the Small Airplane Directorate does?

If you did (you obviously don't) then you could get your question answered.

It truly amazes me that you hold an IA certificate. :rolleyes2: :nonod:
Truly amazes me that you didn't do your home work, and see on Google maps that they are all in the same building in Renton Wa.

or couldn't you down load that from the internet.

Truly amazes me that you didn't do your home work, and see on Google maps that they are all in the same building in Renton Wa.

or couldn't you down load that from the internet.

Same building?? Really??

So in that building at Renton is the Small Airplane Directorate in Kansas City???? :rolleyes2:

Again all you have demonstrated here is you don't have a clue to find an answer to a question regarding airworthiness.

Same building?? Really??

So in that building at Renton is the Small Airplane Directorate in Kansas City???? :rolleyes2:

Again all you have demonstrated here is you don't have a clue to find an answer to a question regarding airworthiness.

Who cares which building they are in we do it by e-mail anyway.

I got the answers I need by a simple phone call, this thread isn't about how the FAA interprets the rule.

you give the SEA FSDO address, and then change the subject to your agenda like you always do when your made a fool.

Who cares which building they are in we do it by e-mail anyway.

I got the answers I need by a simple phone call, this thread isn't about how the FAA interprets the rule.

you give the SEA FSDO address, and then change the subject to your agenda like you always do when your made a fool.

I realize you have an extreme weak comprehension level, that's evidenced in most of your postings.

I gave you the ACO address and PHONE numbers, you twisted it to the FSDO.

I realize you have an extreme weak comprehension level, that's evidenced in most of your postings.

Ain't that just typical of your attacks on me, assuming I GAF what Mr Anon thinks.
Your over inflated sense of self worth is showing again.

Back