MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
Trying to find a good Flight Bag?
I like the back pack style.
Pros/Cons? Other options?
This is just for a Private Pilot. In the future an IFR Pilot.
In the future I will probably want room for GPS for the iPAD, and Maybe weather accessories.
I do not want a massive flight bag either.

Trying to find a good Flight Bag?
I like the back pack style.
Pros/Cons? Other options?
This is just for a Private Pilot. In the future an IFR Pilot.
In the future I will probably want room for GPS for the iPAD, and Maybe weather accessories.
I do not want a massive flight bag either.

Check out Brightline. I just got a flyer on them and they seem pretty neat. More than I need nowadays but I don't haul around as much as I used to.

You need to ask for specific reasoning why people like this bag or other, because your own taste may be completely opposite.

I never cared for a bag and used a civilian travel bag for all my flying needs with great success. However, I had trouble finding a kneeboard I liked (eventually had to settle for a Harper's, which is the best for my needs). Meanwhile others fly without any kneeboard.

Looking at the brightline, definitely a bag that I haven't considered. I do like the options. Which models, or custom designs do you have?

What do you all like about your bags, and what do you think is missing, or needs redesign?

As far as kneeboards, I have a control stick, which makes that impossible. When I transition to a yoke, this will be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Treated myself to a Brightline a few years ago. Like it.

Had a much simpler bag years ago.

If you can find your stuff in a plastic grocery bag, that'll work too.

It's just there to carry your junk. :)

I think the B6 is probably good for a new pilot.
The B10 I think is a little to much for me. I think Frederick Municipal might have these for me to take a look up close.
So far no one has spoke up.

Denver, my bag currently is a conglomeration in a couple of pockets. I like some organization like my tools bag.

I found a Eddie Bauer hiking backpack for sale that I use for both a flight bag and for hiking. It actually is a really good flight bag. I have a compartment for a camelback that can also be used to store my iPad. All my flight binders and maps go into the main compartment. My aircraft manuals, charts, and plates go into a perfectly sized outer compartment. I can also clip my ham radio and back up transceiver to the outside.

The B10 I think is a little to much for me. I think Frederick Municipal might have these for me to take a look up close.
So far no one has spoke up.

Denver, my bag currently is a conglomeration in a couple of pockets. I like some organization like my tools bag.

If you have an iPad, you want the B10. If not, the B6 is fine.

I found a Eddie Bauer hiking backpack for sale that I use for both a flight bag and for hiking. It actually is a really good flight bag. I have a compartment for a camelback that can also be used to store my iPad. All my flight binders and maps go into the main compartment. My aircraft manuals, charts, and plates go into a perfectly sized outer compartment. I can also clip my ham radio and back up transceiver to the outside.

Do you have a model number by any chance?

Another Brightline fan. It has more zippers than the monster in Young Frankenstein or a modified Members Only jacket from an 80's MTV video. It literally is a portable hole and an enchanted bag of holding.

Call Ken at AustinFlightCheck.com and tell him I referred you. He's got a good deal on the Brightlines, offers discounts to AOPA members, and is tops in customer service when you have a question or an issue with the order.

Backpack. Last one I got was 20 bucks on sale at EMS.

Another vote for Brightline. Got one for my birthday. Got the Classic and love it. Much better and more organized than the backpack I was using prior to that.

I watched the video on these. There are so many possible combinations. I like the idea, that you can have a bag for a specific purpose, and then add or remove.

Brightline again. Once I went to it, my Sporty's bag collected dust. I have everything I needed for flying local in the main bag, including headset. Just grab and go. For longer flights, XC's, and weekend's away, I had everything in the second zip on section which can hold my standard size E6B and plotter, along with AFD and other stuff.

Great bag!

Please post back if they do have them at FDK. I'm interested as well, and it would be worth making a trip up there to check them out before investing.

Please post back if they do have them at FDK. I'm interested as well, and it would be worth making a trip up there to check them out before investing.

I am going to take a look tomorrow. They have one of the B10 models in stock. I am interested in the B6. The difference between the two is the B6 has a rear cap, and the B10 has a rear bag for more storage space. This is something I can add on at a later time.

I'll have to look at the Brightline B10 when (if) my Sporty's bag ever dies. I've been lugging it around for 12 years and it just won't quit. I need room for all the crap we seem to need to carry with us.

Hmm... I think the guy's at Brightline are one to something.... :D

The only beef I have with Brightline is that they redesigned the zippers and those of us with the "classic" bags, you know, the ones that made their name and got their company started...

Because we bought early on when all they had was a few YouTube videos and one bag?...

... are SOL for add-ons now. Not compatible. And no upgrade discount or policy.

They need to pull a page from the Lightspeed playbook and offer upgrade/trade-in pricing.

That said, Lightspeed isn't doing upgrades from the Sierra to the Zulu2 either. And I'd rather dump those than the old indestructible David Clarks. ;)

Oh well. Both make great products.

It's the same mentality as the TV vendors. "You've been a customer for ten years? No. You don't qualify for any of the new customer deals."

Which is when I went back to OTA TV plus Netflix and kissed a monthly TV bill goodbye.

Lightspeed sent me a huge online survey (way too many questions) about my Sierra ownership experience this week. That was entertaining to fill out.

Lets see here... almost every time in ake it off, the top cover pops off and goes flying... Love the ANR, hate the build quality.

Anyone buying a Brightline today however, will get the newer model and its well worth it. Lightspeed? Just stick to the Zulu and don't cheap out like I did. ;)

I use the Maratac bags
http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I find then to be the perfect size, they have the easy access flashlight tube pocket, radio pockets, super tuff (big YKK zippers and the handle materieal goes all the way around the bottom). They also have Velcro on the front for a name patch. For 20% the price of the others you get much more bag.

I use the Maratac bags
http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I find then to be the perfect size, they have the easy access flashlight tube pocket, radio pockets, super tuff (big YKK zippers and the handle materieal goes all the way around the bottom). They also have Velcro on the front for a name patch. For 20% the price of the others you get much more bag.

That's a nice bag. I need that for non-flying stuff. Dang it. Stop posting good gear. Ha.

That's a nice bag. I need that for non-flying stuff. Dang it. Stop posting good gear. Ha.

The small one was $19 and the big one was $29. I have been looking for a cheap bag for a long time. I just ordered one, thank you!

I can't wait to try it out! Mine is OK but doesn't fit all my stuff. I have a small one which I love but it only fits my headset and personal items so I use it when I'm a passenger and need to bring a radio and headset. If this new one works out I'll give mine to one of the student pilots in class, so long as they ship it before our last class.

The small one was $19 and the big one was $29. I have been looking for a cheap bag for a long time. I just ordered one, thank you!

I can't wait to try it out! Mine is OK but doesn't fit all my stuff. I have a small one which I love but it only fits my headset and personal items so I use it when I'm a passenger and need to bring a radio and headset. If this new one works out I'll give mine to one of the student pilots in class, so long as they ship it before our last class.

I have the original (small one I think), it fits everything, though I dont put my headset in it. This flight bag is about 4 years old now and still looks new, for the price it's amazing that it's built better then all the "pilot" bags.

Back