Flight aware - confusing track

Status Arrived 27 minutes ago! (track log) Scheduled Actual/Estimated Departure 09:55AM EDT 09:45AM EDT Arrival 12:41PM EDT 11:58AM EDT

looks complete now, maybe because of the reporting delay built into the system?

Looks normal to me
flight_track_map.rvt

Maybe that's when he engaged the cloaking device. :dunno:

Yeah it's funny because my Aunt said she was tracking me too and mentioned the same thing happened.

I didn't cancel, but I did get a route change before reaching RBV.
I originally was cleared as filed, and it got amended so that after JFK we went
V229-HFD-HFD053-DREEM-direct LWM.
Maybe that contributed to the delay???

We did have some pretty decent tail winds for the flight back. Mid to high 120's and even a saw a couple 133knot readings from the GPS.

Adam

Yeah it's funny because my Aunt said she was tracking me too and mentioned the same thing happened.

I didn't cancel, but I did get a route change before reaching RBV.
I originally was cleared as filed, and it got amended so that after JFK we went
V229-HFD-HFD053-DREEM-direct LWM.
Maybe that contributed to the delay???

We did have some pretty decent tail winds for the flight back. Mid to high 120's and even a saw a couple 133knot readings from the GPS.

Adam

This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to tell my wife how to track me. If she saw AdamB's track she'd have thought I'd plunged into Long Island sound :eek:

I read an article in Flying magazine (I think) recently that described a similar situation where his wife was tracking him, something happened such that he got diverted.
Flightaware gave a confusing status and the flight path stopped, never updating until a couple hours later, making her fear the worst.

I make it a point to tell people (family especially) not to get too worried if something like that happens after reading that article. I think this sort of stuff happens more than we think so maybe it's best not to put her in a position where she'll be worried. I certainly understand your hesitancy.

Glad to see you had a good trip back. Looked great for departure in the morning down here, and then those winds and clouds rolled in.

Very nice meeting you and your wife, we had a great time talking with you at dinner.

Rob & Becky

This happens frequently with FA, though I don't recall seeing it having completed the track later on. This was discussed in my thread about my visit to the FA HQ (too lazy to look it up and provide a link right now). FA gets their data from the national FAA feed. Once an IFR flight reaches its destination's radar center, depending on the equipment, that radar center may or may not report its position to the national FAA feed. If it does not, then FA cannot display the condition, only that it has arrived after the flight does arrive, as that information is passed on.

Very nice meeting you and your wife, we had a great time talking with you at dinner.

Rob & Becky

Same here Rob!
The flight back was very smooth. Seeing I didn't sleep very well and was overtired, I really didn't want to risk waiting for the clouds and wx to come in and
have to get up through them, so we left early.

Good luck over the next few weeks, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Adam

This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to tell my wife how to track me. If she saw AdamB's track she'd have thought I'd plunged into Long Island sound :eek:

When I tell people they can get a heads up on my arrival time from flightaware I always try to remember to explain that the tracking may end prematurely and that they can assume I've landed at the time the site shows. I often cancel once the airport is in sight which can leave the track short of the airport by several miles.

That's strange, because all of the ASR-9's that N90 uses most always feeds data to FA perfectly. If you click on the track log, you can see all of those queries. Since he went up at 7,000, the entire flight was below ZNY and ZBW airspace. Glitches happen.

Back