Flexible Baffle Seals

Yes, I just had them installed. I have not flown with it yet. My AP said he really likes the product.

If you are gonna replace and your original baffle supports are good, a reseal with these is much cheaper. If the supports are messed up, Aeroforms would be the way to go.

I recently installed a set of these and seemed to be ok. Bought a large sheet and cut out the shapes we needed.

I recently installed a set of these and seemed to be ok. Bought a large sheet and cut out the shapes we needed.

Thanks all for inputs.

Did you buy the sheet from McFarland or somewhere else?

I just had my baffle seals replaced recently as well. I had flexible seals and I got the replacements here:

https://www.airforms.biz

The new ones definitely work better and between that and some other tweaks, my CHTs are much more manageable. I fly a Piper Cherokee 180C.

Thanks Caramon. My baffles themselves are in good condition, but will save the link. I am going to replace the soft seals at this years annual.

Thanks Caramon. My baffles themselves are in good condition, but will save the link. I am going to replace the soft seals at this years annual.

They sell the baffles and seals together or separate. I didn't buy baffles either, just the silicone soft seals. They already had them pre-cut and they came with all the rivets to install directly into the plane I had. Didn't need any templates, they were all labelled and basically took an hour to get installed. But yeah, I suppose keeping the old ones around is a good idea if they aren't crappy right now. My old ones were basically worthless I found out..

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/baffelseal1836.php?recfer=2038

As suggested, Spruce has sheets of the stuff for DIY.

I used straight red silicone for my '10 instead of the standard black rubber composite stuff and it has been great so far. Lacking any woven reinforcement it is very easy to cut yet not prone to tearing. Stiff yet flexible, just a nice material. No need for upgrade or replacement at 600 hours....

Is cowling erosion and such a known concern with plain silicone?

I have been told that some of the cracking and wear on the upper and lower cowl haves could be due to the transmission of the engine vibration via the baffle seals. When you look at the Cowl Saver information, it is pretty obvious that the Cowl Saver material transmits much less vibration. For the small difference in price, I think it is worth it and will purchase the sheet material from Chief Aircraft to do the flexible seals this annual.

PIREP

flew a couple hours today XC. I noted on both legs, my CHTs were down about 10 deg. So my suspicious turned out to be true. Old, leaky and tired seals just donT work well.

Unit, I had the same experience..I replaced my crappy seals and I now no longer redline Cylinder 3 on a normal climbout :)

On the Grumman products (AA5, AA5A, AA5B), high CHTs due to bad baffles as well as bad baffle seals is a well documented problem. My Baffles are in good shape, but the seals are original. It is time to replace them. Will be ordering the material this week for annual next month.

Back