Flew Behind the New Engine

Dave Siciliano said:
Temps will decrease as soon as the rings seat. If you happen to be looking right at the JPI at that moment, you will see the CHT drop by 5-10 degrees on the cylinder that just broke in. It doesn't happen to all of them at the same time.

Dave,

Thanks for the info...my older engine monitor is not that accurate...it only has the bar graph not the digital readout. Of course it is better than the original gauge, which is still required equipment by the way.

JP Instruments just got their EDM930 system STCd for certified aircraft as replacement for original equipment gauges and dials. This unit includes a graphic engine monitor with all the modern bells and whistles. I want to install that in the Mooney but now is not the time. Probably next year.

Len

Flew the plane again today...no issues.

CHTs were not as high as the first flight. Interesting that #3 was always the highest CHT with the old engine and it is also the highest with the new engine.

Going to fly again on Tuesday morning. Hope to get two hours in before work.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
CHTs were not as high as the first flight. Interesting that #3 was always the highest CHT with the old engine and it is also the highest with the new engine.

Len

Mine too, IO-360-A1A. I'm guessing it is due to airflow more than anything.

Eric

Mine, too. IO-360-A3B6D. Gotta be the airflow back there.

Back