Flew a 180

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Cessna 180, that is. I needed to get a ride from the Gliderport over to Benton. A whopping 2.5 mile mile flight. Our towpilot had conveniently flown in a 180 so he was happy to provide me with a flight, and he let me fly!

This 180 had been upgraded to 300 HP and a 3 blade prop so I suppose it was more like a 185 than a 180. Man did it like to climb! I think I had about half throttle in it and it was ready to fly.

The flight was short since i only had to do a wide 180 after takeoff and i was on downwind to land. I really liked the way the plane handled in the air. Nice and solid. It helped that I was flying in really rare air for kansas. absolutely dead calm wind. This happens about 5 times a year.

Swung around for a landing at Benton, crossed the road at Semi top height, and made a pretty decent wheel landing in the grass next to the runway. I think I could really enjoy having a 180! Unfortunately this one was not equipped with a towhook but we do have a 185 at the gliderport that is occasionally put into service when the "Hangar Queen" 182D is living up to its nickname. I really should get checked out in it...

Is that the 180 that Raf and the guys fly at Air Plains? If so, I've been in it, and it's a nice one.

My first 180 flight was an absolute blast -- it was cold with a nice wind down the runway. We levitated to pattern altitude before crosswind over the river.

very, very nice airplane. :cornut:

Last edited:
The "older gentlemen" seem to like them.

Just stealing a ride as usual, Pete. Why would you be surprised?

I wouldn't, but Pete tries to be polite so he might pretend. ;)

As my 6 yr old would say, "LUCKY!!!"

Back