Flap retraction on landing

Hey to clarify I'm in the camp of do cockpit chores once the plane is slowed down to taxi speed, not necessarily clear of runway and stopped....

I just stumbled upon this - I forgot how pretty it was.

http://youtu.be/BvMDM-QmPoQ

It shows my typical flap usage (small white switch on the left):

1) Full flaps on base. Got in that habit in Cirrus Standarized Instructor training).

2) Retracted when clear, not stopped. Boost pump and transponder off then as well.

Note: the wide angle always makes approaches seem much lower/flatter than they really are.

I just stumbled upon this - I forgot how pretty it was.

http://youtu.be/BvMDM-QmPoQ

It shows my typical flap usage (small white switch on the left):

1) Full flaps on base. Got in that habit in Cirrus Standarized Instructor training).

2) Retracted when clear, not stopped. Boost pump and transponder off then as well.

Note: the wide angle always makes approaches seem much lower/flatter than they really are.

As with anything the pilots skill level and proficiency come into play as well.

I'm sure with the 30hr a year PPL doctor types Cirrus sells to, they are playing to the lower denominator aviation wise.

I'm sure with the 30hr a year PPL doctor types Cirrus sells to, they are playing to the lower denominator aviation wise.

Are you talking about full flaps on base?

I spent 90%+ of my career putting down full flaps on final "with the runway made". No problem.

Then, in CSIP training I went with the program and you know what? I came to prefer it - and I hope I'm not one of the lower common denominator pilots to which you refer!

Anyway, preferred it enough that I carried the habit over to my Sky Arrow. In a tiny way it helps stabilize the approach, since there are now no configuration changes on final. And I keep the pattern in tight enough to glide to the runway, though I know the video doesn't make it look that way.

In very broad terms, I have found that all the little things I taught students and "lower common denominator" pilots to make their lives easier, make my life easier as well!

You missed the camp that says retract right at touchdown isn't usually necessary but neither is it necessary to come to a stop on a taxiway before one's brain can process how to move a handle. :)

(There's a bunch of us just ignoring this thread because it's about the extremes.)
Yup. Too many who think their way is the only way.

But that seems to happen in most threads.

Well I was kind of thinking that was the "meh" camp. I suppose the third camp would be the DON'T TOUCH THAT KNOB! group.

I just make sure I have the "idiot checklist" complete before I come rolling onto the ramp. In other words, my flaps aren't hanging down and I'm not lit up like a Christmas tree.

I spent 90%+ of my career putting down full flaps on final "with the runway made". No problem.

Then, in CSIP training I went with the program and you know what? I came to prefer it - and I hope I'm not one of the lower common denominator pilots to which you refer!

Anyway, preferred it enough that I carried the habit over to my Sky Arrow. In a tiny way it helps stabilize the approach, since there are now no configuration changes on final. And I keep the pattern in tight enough to glide to the runway, though I know the video doesn't make it look that way.

In very broad terms, I have found that all the little things I taught students and "lower common denominator" pilots to make their lives easier, make my life easier as well!

Heck if we're going for the mythical pure unicorn rainbows "stabilized approach", we should just fly around with the flaps down all the way to our destination.

Or... We could... Just learn to fly the damn airplane.

I was talking about not touching anything till you're off the runway.

Back