Flame Test for Interior Materials

W. Stewart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
W. Stewart
Installing a new interior continues to confuse me, but I now find myself wanting to proceed at least with having my seats rebuilt/recovered ASAP (putting plane in for Annual on May 9, and want to take the seats to neighborhood auto upholstery man while the plane is being worked on).

I am familiar with Airtex, but have not found their catalogue/website/Sun-N-Fun booth to be very user-friendly. I would now like to possibly just go with the auto upholstery man getting materials from his sources, but I can't find any reference to the burn tests that I would have to do on such materials.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for these burn tests? Or...is there another good source for materials that already have been flame/burn tested?

Thank you in advance.

Wells Stewart
177RG

wsjrmd said:
Installing a new interior continues to confuse me, but I now find myself wanting to proceed at least with having my seats rebuilt/recovered ASAP (putting plane in for Annual on May 9, and want to take the seats to neighborhood auto upholstery man while the plane is being worked on).

I am familiar with Airtex, but have not found their catalogue/website/Sun-N-Fun booth to be very user-friendly. I would now like to possibly just go with the auto upholstery man getting materials from his sources, but I can't find any reference to the burn tests that I would have to do on such materials.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for these burn tests? Or...is there another good source for materials that already have been flame/burn tested?

Thank you in advance.

Wells Stewart
177RG

I think you need more than the burn tests, you need documentation of the burn tests. I had my seats and side panels recovered by an auto upholstery shop and they used materials that came with the documentation.

Wells, there are two tests. On is the vertical flame test (it has to resist ignition with a bunsen burner flame for 12 seconds (vertical), and a flash resistance test of some sort). He cites FAR 25.853(a) Amendment 25-72, and a test procedure #CR120 (FAR 25.853(a) Appendix F, Part 1(a)(1)(ii).

My interior was done by Byerly's (big FBO) former interior guy who went into business for automobile. He knew all the paperwork, got it signed off. Tom Downey would know.

It was signed off by a DER for Structures-Flammability Only.

Last edited:
wsjrmd said:

Thank you in advance.

Wells Stewart
177RG

Contact the manufacturers of the materials, I've found that many of them have the documentation you need. I had one refuse to send it to me when I told them I needed it for the FAA so I sent it off to an industrial laboratory and had them do it. It wasn't expensive, I had 2 materials tested and certified for less than $100. Check around.

bbchien said:
Wells, there are two tests. On is the vertical flame test (it has to resist ignition with a bunsen burner flame for 12 seconds (vertical), and a flash resistance test of some sort). He cites FAR 25.853(a) Amendment 25-72, and a test procedure #CR120 (FAR 25.853(a) Appendix F, Part 1(a)(1)(ii).

My interior was done by Byerly's (big FBO) former interior guy who went into business for automobile. He knew all the paperwork, got it signed off. Tom Downey would know.

It was signed off by a DER for Structures-Flammability Only.

Far Part 25 does not apply to part 91 aircraft.

PART 25 - AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANES

This Does,,

§43.13 Performance rules (general).

(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in §43.16. He shall use the tools, equipment, and test apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. If special equipment or test apparatus is recommended by the manufacturer involved, he must use that equipment or apparatus or its equivalent acceptable to the Administrator.

(b) Each person maintaining or altering, or performing preventive maintenance, shall do that work in such a manner and use materials of such a quality, that the condition of the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance worked on will be at least equal to its original or properly altered condition (with regard to aerodynamic function, structural strength, resistance to vibration and deterioration, and other qualities affecting airworthiness).

Here's the issue: Suppose you want to refurbish the interior of your FAA-certificated light plane with new carpet and upholstery. Further suppose that you have found a reputable auto upholstery shop that does great work and will reupholster your seats and cut you new carpets if you bring the stuff to them. What does the FAA have to say about the materials you or the shop uses?

"Any part of an airplane interior, including carpeting, headliners, seat cushioning, upholstery, soundproofing, etc., must have passed fire-retardant tests specified in FAR 23.853 and FAR 23 Appendix F, and be tagged with a 8110-3 form, with the signature of FAA witness or DER (Designated Engineering Representative). Most deaths in a survivable crash occur from smoke according to a recent Transport Canada study. And airliners use approved materials.”

"Per FAR 23.853a, all aircraft must use interior materials that are 'flame-resistant' not 'fire-retardant' as you specified. The FAA does not define, nor does FAR 23 specify, the term 'fire-retardant.' Flame-resistant,' per FAR 1, means 'not susceptible to combustion to the point of propagating a flame, beyond safe limits, after the ignition source is removed.

"The extensive FAR 23 Appendix F testing procedure is the 'Acceptable test procedure for self-extinguishing materials' for showing compliance with FAR 23.853. However, the need for this testing procedure is only called out in FAR 23.853 section (d); however, section (d) applies to 'commuter category airplanes' only.

FAR 23.853 (f) "Airplane materials located on the cabin side of the firewall must be self-extinguishing, or be located at such a distance from the firewall, or otherwise protected, so that ignition will not occur if the firewall is subjected to a flame temperature of not less than 2,000 degrees F for 15 minutes. ... For self-extinguishing materials.. a vertifical [sic] self-extinguishing test must be conducted in accordance with Appendix F..."

We have a definition of "self-extinguishing." It's defined in FAR 23, Appendix F, labeled "Acceptable test procedure for self-extinguishing materials for showing compliance with Secs. 23.853, 23.855 and 23.1359." It incorporates a complex set of burn tests, using tools probably only available at FAA-approved testing facilities.

If you purchase material make sure it has burn certifications with it one place to find this material is from the Skandia company. They can tell you where to purchase materials that meet the requirements.

Skandia, Inc.

5002 N. Hwy 251

Davis Junction, IL 61020

815-393-4600 Com

For compartments in CAR-3 aircraft where smoking is permitted, the wall and ceiling linings, the covering of all upholstering, floors, and furnishings shall be flame-resistant. Such compartments should be equipped with an adequate number of self-contained ash trays. All other compartments shall be placarded against smoking. (Refer to CAR-3.388.)

If fabric is bought in bulk to refurbish the interior, seats, and ceiling liners for a CAR-3 aircraft used in part 91 operations, a manufacturer's statement, declaring that the material meets the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or similar national standard for either flash resistance or flame resistance, would be acceptable, but only for a CAR-3 aircraft installation. (Refer to 14 CFR part 43, section 43.13(a).) A manufacturer's statement is acceptable due to neither the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) nor the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) having published an FAA fire standard for either flash or flame resistance for interior materials for CAR-3 aircraft. Since the FAA would accept and recognize a national standard, the mechanic would reference the manufacturer's statement and the national standard that the material meets in the aircraft's maintenance records.

If an annual inspection is performed on a CAR-3 aircraft with a new interior and there is no mention of a manufacturer's statement that the fabric is flash or flame resistant as applicable, the possibility exists that the fabric is an unapproved part. The mechanic should take the necessary steps to ensure that the fabric meets or exceeds the ASTM or national standards. (Refer to 14 CFR part 23, appendix F.)

If an FAA-approved STC interior kit is installed in a CAR-3 aircraft, and the material and fabric in the kit are PMA or TSO approved, the mechanic should include the STC number in block 8 of FAA Form 337.

It is recommended that for all CAR-3 interiors to use only fabric and materials that meets the more stringent requirements of part 23, appendix F.

Stache

"
For compartments in CAR-3 aircraft where smoking is permitted, the wall and ceiling linings, the covering of all upholstering, floors, and furnishings shall be flame-resistant. Such compartments should be equipped with an adequate number of self-contained ash trays. All other compartments shall be placarded against smoking. (Refer to CAR-3.388.) "
end quote

So just remove all ash trays, and place a no smoking sign in the cabin..

You could remove the ash trays, but that would be an alteration and require a FAA 337. Any change to the origianl configuration is an alteration.

Stache

Stache said:

You could remove the ash trays, but that would be an alteration and require a FAA 337. Any change to the origianl configuration is an alteration.

Stache

I thought only major alterations required a 337. Removing ashtrays and putting up no smoking placards hardly sounds like a major alteration to me. That is assuming that the ashtrays aren't a structural part of the airframe:rolleyes:.

Stache said:

Stache

Who desides what gets a 337?

To me it is a minor mod. I have several customers that have removed their ash trays on a log book entry.

Major or Minor alteration/repairs has always been a hot topic. If something is considered a minor only a log book entry is required signed off by an A&P. Everything else is considered a major and required a 337. Part 43 Appendix A covers what a major alteration is. Removing the ash tray would be considered a minor alteration in most cases unless it is on a part 25 aircraft.

To help aid aviators in this area I have wrote a training guide (115 pages). It explains all the in's and out's in maintenance and covers alteration in great detail.

Stache

Stache said:
Major or Minor alteration/repairs has always been a hot topic. If something is considered a minor only a log book entry is required signed off by an A&P. Everything else is considered a major and required a 337. Part 43 Appendix A covers what a major alteration is. Removing the ash tray would be considered a minor alteration in most cases unless it is on a part 25 aircraft.

To help aid aviators in this area I have wrote a training guide (115 pages). It explains all the in's and out's in maintenance and covers alteration in great detail.

Stache

Cool, can I download a copy somewhere?

Aircraft Spruce sells an approved flame retardant.

I am having several copies printed and bound for a training class I am giving in Oakland on May 21th. Send me an private e-mail with your address and I will send you a copy. It is not available as a down load due to the copyright.

Stache

Stache said:

Stache

Any good FAA Inspector would call that a minor alteration.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! The AVWeb article was particularly helpful.

Wells

Back