Flabob Airport, Riverside, CA

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I had the privilege of visiting Flabob Airport in Riverside, CA over Valentine's Day weekend. I got a most excellent shot of a DC-3 at sunset after a pouring rain. In fact it was still raining on me when I took the picture. This is N103NA the "Flabob Express."

P2130022.JPG

You can read more in my blog entry, but here I'll just say, what a neat airport! There are some wonderful things going on there regarding aviation education.

I was there for an AeroScholars facilitator training event. Learned a lot about that program, other aviation education opportunities for youth, and the Flabob Airport itself.

I got to ride in a Piper Clipper and a Marquart MA-5 Charger homebuilt open-cockpit biplane, with some stick time in that.

We got a tour, and I was a kid in a candy store in every hangar.

If this place weren't a bazillion miles away from home, I'd probably be eating at the airport cafe at least once a week.

Click to visit my photo album from the weekend.

Kate, you must enter that in the Avweb Picture of The Week contest. That's a wonderful shot.

When I worked for an L.A. law firm we had a branch office in Riverside. It was more convenient to fly into Fla-Bob than Riverside Muni to get there, and I always enjoyed the visits. Unfortunately I never made it there when a fun event was going on.

Attachments

• fla-bob.jpg
    fla-bob.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Mvc-483s.jpg
    Mvc-483s.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17
Kate, that is such a wonderful picture of a wonderful plane. Thanks for sharing! :yes:

What a wonderful photo. You should enter that in Avweb PotW as Pilawt mentioned. If they don't choose that for PotW something's wrong with them.

Isn't CA a fun state to fly in? Even though I never made it to Flabob, I did do a few approaches in to Riverside Muni.

Dang. I'm making that my new desktop wallpaper and you can't stop me! :D

MY favorite thing about "flea-bob" is scaring the hell out of the hikers on Mt Rubidoux when you crank around on Base. I swear I can read their maps when I do that. Heh heh.

EAA Chapter 1 is there -- they can't NOT have the cool toys.

wow thats an awesome shot Kate, nice job!

oh and btw, your painting is now hanging prominently in my hallway

Thanks all! The pic was entered in the POTW contest before I posted this thread! :smilewinkgrin: We'll see the results this week.

Awsome Blog Post, but why didn't you tell any of us about the Booyah fly in on Lake Winnebago earlier this month???

Excellent photo! The rest of the album is great also. Definitely rooting for you on POTW.

Awsome Blog Post, but why didn't you tell any of us about the Booyah fly in on Lake Winnebago earlier this month???

If you mean tell you prior, it was because I wanted all the Booyah for myself. :p Dang that stuff was good. (Non-Wisconsinites Click Here)

Really though - at first I thought it was invite-only and I didn't want to let the world know. But it turned out not to be. Word got out to the WI DOT fly-in list, and that's how we wound up with six planes in one group from Hartford for example. Sorry Pete :frown3:

Saturday the weather wasn't the greatest because there was a strong wind out of the west, especially at Brennand where most of us were coming from. We were all invited to show up again Sunday with our airplanes even though the official fly-in was supposed to be Saturday.

Because she already knew that you wouldn't be able to go (can't land a club plane at anything other than an airport, thanks to the insurance co...) ;)

Hey, back to this thread topic, are there any other POA people at or around Flabob? (Mike, above - I see you must be.) I wanted to find that out before I went, but figured I wouldn't have any spare time while there, which was true. I would like to go back someday.

Back