Fixing iPhone and iPad photo rotations

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
The iPhone takes smashing pictures. But it doesn't seem to understand the concept of portrait photos even though the rotation appears correct in the device itself.

HOW, short of downloading on a desktop and fixing it, do I correct the rotation within the device itself?

The iPhone takes smashing pictures. But it doesn't seem to understand the concept of portrait photos even though the rotation appears correct in the device itself.

HOW, short of downloading on a desktop and fixing it, do I correct the rotation within the device itself?

Try this (for 8.1 on an iPad):
In the photos app, go to the album containing the a photo to be rotated and select the photo for viewing. An Edit button should appear in the upper right. Tap it. Several editing icons should appear below the picture. Tap on the one second from the left; what looks to b a cropping tool. After tapping on it an icon should appear to the bottom left that has a box with a curved arrow outside it indicating it is a rotation tool. Tap it to rotate the photo.

Edit: the above was tried while in portrait mode; the buttons are located differently in landscape mode.

Last edited:
That sort of worked, kind of. Not as well as rotating the picture on the desktop first.

It will show correct orientation in both the thumbnail image and the separate window, but it's distorted in the thumbnail - it's stretched in to a landscape image.

Welcome to the jungle of crApple where logic is missing and money rules. :)

I will dare piggyback on this thread since I have a similar issue:
when I take a picture on myPad, the picture shows correctly oriented on the device itself, in multiple different apps. However, when I email the picture to another device, it could show upside down.
Obviously, the picture was NOT taken upside down since it appears correctly on the origination device but email recipients see things inverted (especially questioning my flying skills if the picture is from a cockpit).

Is there an easy way to circumvent this annoying bug?

Obviously Apple uses some non-standard convention for marking the orientation. You would think by now it would have fed back to IOS developers and they would fix that bug.

Back