Fixed Wing Add On

Bones

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bones
I have a buddy that has all of his rotary wing certificates and ratings up to his CFII. He is wanting to add on as many Fixed Wing Certs and ratings as well.

Does anyone know what will transfer and what won't, is it to proficency or is there a set number of hours? I know its in Part 61 but I'm too lazy to look it up and just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge or had been down this road.

Thanks!

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Where is Ed Guthrie when we need him....?

wsuffa said:
Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Where is Ed Guthrie when we need him....?
Again? Have we had this discussion before? I'm interested in the answer to this myself.
Chip

yeah - it's been hashed around but I'll bet it's been aged out - Chuck? sounds like a candidate for a sticky thread?

I did mine in tandem so it might be a bit different.

He will need only the CFI & CFII add-on written, I believe they are 25 questions each.

The commercial and instrument have minimum time in class
For commercial:
  • 50 hrs in airplanes
  • 10 hrs x-c in airplanes
  • 5 hrs instrument training in airplanes
  • 10 hrs training in complex airplanes
  • 20 hrs training in airplanes
  • Dual day X/C
  • Dual night X/C
For the instrument rating:
  • 15 hrs instrument training in airplanes
  • IFR cross country (250nm 3 approaches)
  • 50 hrs cross country time 10 in airplanes
One thing to be aware of is that X/C time in helicopters is at least 25nm GC distance but airplanes is 50nm. I believe this is pertinent when applying cross country helicopter time to an airplane rating.

Joe

Caveat, I'm tired, someone should cross check my computations, but...

Areeda said:
For commercial:
  • 20 hrs training in airplanes
The correct number is 12 hours minimum dual in an airplane (we could potentially debate it down to 10 hours). The 12 hours dual are:

10 hours dual in a complex aircraft which, if we are judicious about combining things will include 5 hours instrument training, 2 hours dual day XC, 2 hours dual night XC, and 1 hour dual in preparation for the flight test; plus 2 hours dual preparation for the flight test in any airplane.

Likewise your list contains many other combinable elements. Assuming I didn't overlook any mutually exclusive requirements (possible given how tired I am) then the short and dirty minimum category time answer is 50 hours airplanes including 12 hours dual (flight training) in airplanes.

For the instrument rating:
  • 15 hrs instrument training in airplanes
  • IFR cross country (250nm 3 approaches)
  • 50 hrs cross country time 10 in airplanes
Please note that the instrument training and the XC time are combinable with the COM airplane requirements. IOW, the 5 hours airplane instrument for the COM would be included in the 15 hours above. Ditto XC time.

One thing to be aware of is that X/C time in helicopters is at least 25nm GC distance but airplanes is 50nm. I believe this is pertinent when applying cross country helicopter time to an airplane rating.

Yep. The logbook will need a good combing to weed out any helicopter XC time logged that does not include a landing at a point more than 50 nm from the original point of departure.[/quote]

Bones said:
I have a buddy that has all of his rotary wing certificates and ratings up to his CFII. He is wanting to add on as many Fixed Wing Certs and ratings as well.

Does anyone know what will transfer and what won't, is it to proficency or is there a set number of hours? I know its in Part 61 but I'm too lazy to look it up and just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge or had been down this road.

Thanks!
Why would he want to do that? :dunno:

I guess cause that's where the money is...

Just joking, but tell him to read part 61, and all will be well!

Back