Fitting to bushing to adapter jigsaw puzzle

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Last edited:
I'm trying to go from 1/4"x28 female (SAE grease zerk fitting size) to something I can attach an air hose.
Trying to recreate this.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...=9299&osCsid=228c2b20079c65578b0c9ec6e2a35edb

I can't find any fitting besides a grease zerk to fit the 1/4"x28. ... Even tried a zerk and a clean grease gun hose and can't get enough air thru it.

The grease zerk's hole is way too small, and the little ball and spring add more drag.

If it's a quarter-inch air hose (inside diameter), take an AN4 bolt of about an inch and a half long and put it in the lathe. Turn off most of the head, leaving a small knob. Drill a number 15 or so hole through the bolt, lengthwise.

If no lathe, it can be done in a drill press. Chuck the bolt, head down, and the drill bit in the vise, straight up. Get the bit centered under the bolt, and start the head down onto the bit. If done carefully, it will try to center itself. If it doesn't use a center drill or a larger bit, held real short in the vise, and make a center mark to start. Then drill the hole, and then use a grinder to get the head shaped into a knob. The knob is to retain the hose behind the hose clamp. Might even use a coarse file while the bolt is still in the chuck and turning.

Dan

A zerk can be run across a grinder so the little ball & spring pop right out. Might be enough to let air flow...

Back