FITS and Scenario Based Training

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
How many of you working CFIs are migrating to the FITS methods of training students, using Scenario Based Training principles? Tristan mentioned a new book "Train Like You Fly" from ASA, which is the first "mainstream" book I'm aware of, and it looks like the concept is beginning to blossom.

Has anybody developed a FITS syllabus and had it approved by the FAA? I believe that the Cessna Pilot Centers have one, but I'm not sure whether each school has to tailor and submit it on their own for approval or whether they can advertise an "approved" course without alterations.

Any students going for their private certificate using this method?

It seems to me that it has the potential to produce more "complete" pilots, with added ADM and other "thinking" skills, but I'm worried that the course may end up being more expensive than traditional methods.

yes and no....

I don't use a FITS Curriculum. I use the ASA PP and Comm curriculum, but each flight (after the 4 fundamentals) becomes another scenario.

Example:

Student is learning pattern work. After 2-3 times around the home field, we fly to 3 or 4 nearby airports, "Getting ready for that long XC," and at each one he/she has to figure out how to enter, has to use comms, has to establish TPA, has to land and then t/o (maybe a short or a soft).

On the way there might be power loss, loss of comms, loss of orientation, Donning of the Foggles (blundering into a cloud), Class B entry, etc.

The task-based model has as its highest end efficiency -- learn task a, then b, then c, in the shortest time possible.

That may work for the self-directed quick learner. But for the rest of us flying is so much fun it's not hard and even necessary to create "scenarios."

Each flight can be chock full of real-life, this-is-the-way-it's-gonna-be learning experiences.

So, to summarize my long-winded answer -- Sorta.

Been using scenario based flight training since the early '90s -was it invented by then?

FITS/SBT, including some 141.57-approved integrated PP/IR curricula, is in use at several large university flight training programs, starting with the pioneers at MTSU and ERAU.

Back