First XC since PPC

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
My son and I had a nice (albeit moderately bumpy) flight to Port Clinton (PCW) on Saturday. 57nm each way let me put 1.9h of XC time in a 172 in my logbook (I'm hoping to put 25-50 hours in that plane before I consider a HP / complex endorsement). ATC was quite helpful at helping us avoid traffic before our eyeballs spotted anything, and my little one was quite the spotter himself.

Was pretty cool seeing Cedar Point as we went by, not to mention flying along the water is fun and pretty.

PCW was hopping when we arrived. They just opened a new museum, had a Harley show with a band and a bunch of vendors, a nice restaurant, and a small shop that sold a t-shirt so I could replace the shirt I dumped coffee all over during the flight (did I mention moderate turbulence?). I felt like kind of an idiot taxiing all around the field figuring out where to park. Now that I've been out of the plane and all around the field I have it down for next time. I was NOT expecting the huge crowds and loads of aircraft. I guess I should check the schedule next time...

The static display was fun, too. =) CAF was down from Willow Run, and my boy got to pose a bit.

On the way back the turbulence got even rougher. My son, usually stoic whenever he is in an airplane, gave me the occasional glance during the more severe bumps. Just as it was getting really rough, he ... fell asleep. :dunno: Not kidding. Should have taken a pic, but I was too busy holding the aircraft shiny side up. Flew back to my home airport without event and landed 'er in a nice crosswind. It was nice to get an opportunity to experience some less-than-stellar conditions, fly to a new airport, and share it all with my boy.

I suppose the biggest reason to post was an excuse to show off the cute picture of my son and I.

Next short XC I'm planning (weather permitting) will be 79NM with a nighttime return into my first class C. Great to stretch my wings!

Attachments

• sean_and_i.jpg
    sean_and_i.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 55
  • cedar_point.jpg
    cedar_point.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 49
  • sean_pcw.jpg
    sean_pcw.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 48
Yup, the first cross country with family is an exciting time.

My first was taking the family across San Francisco to Pt. Reyes Lighthouse, then to Petaluma for a B-52 burger and a lot of ultralight watching (not to mention, some amazing sightseeing). There was light turbulence at 1500 over the City (crossing through Class B on the lower altitude), but otherwise next to nothing. 50+ mile visibility.

A recent turbulence experience was coming home from Lake Tahoe. That was bouncy as heck, but it sure beat the traffic jam on I-80.

Very nice story and cool pics of you and your co-pilot.
Later this week I am headed out on my first long cross country - 169 miles each way.

In my opinion there is no need to wait for the HP endorsement. I did mine at around 100 hours and it was really no big deal at all. I can't really speak to the complex.

Nice story. My first XC with family was- well interessting. Flew to HFD(Hartford) with my Mom because my sister lives up that way. Took off in great weather, went to Hartford, landed with no issues. Took back off and had to divert around a snow squall, encountered some moderate chop, and came back in winds gusting to 20, 40 degrees across the runway. My mom also got airsick and tossed her cookies shortly after takeoff at Hartford.:D

Good experience for me but I'm glad your flight went better!

Trips like that with something on the other end, he'll remember for ever. You will too, one on one time between father and son.

It's good to know he doesn't mind the bumps.

Very nice. I love that area up there. The wife and I usually head just a bit over the water to put-in-bay and stay for a day or two. You should check it out some time. Anyway nice pics, sounds like a great time.

PC is a cute little place. I'm told that the major industry is human trafficking, though I've no first hand knowledge at all. As the other posters said, Putt in Bay is a great destination, and Kelley's Island as well, though I think you need some sort of transportation to town. An old friend used to put bicycles in the back of his Skylane and fly up there. I'm told that North Bass is mostly undeveloped, and one can camp virtually anywhere on the island. What a great destination! Of course, if your airplane breaks as you're trying to leave, it could be quite a pickle.

I had actually planned a stop at Put-in-bay, but was running short on time. It wasn't going to be much of a stop in any case. I heard you can rent a golf cart at the airport and tool around the island.

One of the older kids likes camping and the wilderness. North Bass sounds like a hoot. Pretty damn short runway =)

And... human trafficking? What?

And... human trafficking? What?

Can't remember who told me, a local I think. Lotta trafficking of women for the sex industry. It's easy here since the whole thing is underground, girls get trafficked up from Mexico. Anyhow, this person claimed that PC was a major transit point for those activities. Wouldn't surprise me, they gotta go through somewhere.

Back