First trip - IPT to NYC Area

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Those of you who've read Missa's thread know that I am now a private pilot, and can exercise the privileges thereof. So, now I am looking for some advice here. A bit of a story first.

One of the priests at my church back in Manhattan who has been with us for 12 years is moving back to England. She's been great to everyone, and so we want to wish her a fond farewell. Today was her last Sunday. While talking to her, I told her I got my pilot's license, and then asked if she'd like to go flying next weekend for a bit before she left, which she was very enthusiastic about. She lives in Manhattan and has no car.

I have flown right seat around the New York area out of Republic, so I am somewhat familiar with how busy it is. Radio work I tend to be decent at, and I've used flight following and talked to ATC enough times that I'm comfortable with it.

I am looking to figure out an airport to fly into that either she can easily meet me at or that I can rent a car and drive in to get her at, and then bring her up to take her flying. I'm thinking that my best options are HPN or FRG. FRG I know ends up being a bit of a treck to get to either by train or car from Manhattan, so I am thinking HPN might be the better choice.

Can anyone give me general advice or suggestions on things I need to know, FBOs to consider (a loaner car at an FBO would be great, but I don't mind renting one. Hertz is preferable for that), since I know a number of people on here do fly out of HPN especially. I am looking at doing this flight on Friday with a backup day of Sunday. I'll probably take the Archer for the trip, assuming I can get the time out of my instructor to check me out in it.

Ideally, the trip will include the route around Manhattan. My friend does this frequently, so I'm going to get some details from him on how he does it. Anyone else who's done it before, details would be appreciated as well. :)

Thanks in advance! This is something that is very important to me to be able to do, and to me a great use of a pilot's license and some 100LL.

Well Ted i can't give any advise, but sounds like a good thing to do. Enjoy your flight out and back, and be careful. I know you and her will totally enjoy it.
Dave G

Hi Ted,

Congrats again on your new certificate. I would definitely recommend flying into HPN, it's quite a breeze if you're on the ball and do the research ahead of time. Park at Panorama and the they'll be more than happy to drive you to/from the White Plains train station where you can take Metro North into and out of the city. Driving in NYC is a real PITA so I would try to avoid it at all cost.

Grab flight following and a NY Class B clearance up the Hudson river at 1,500 or 2,000 feet and you'll be all set for sequencing into HPN. Approach will send you direct to the Tappanzee Bridge for a left downwind to 29 or 34, or a straight in to 11. If you dip below the Bravo, be sure to call Approach (126.40) prior to the bridge for a squawk code and sequencing (HPN operates like a class C, under class D airspace designation).

If you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer those.

Thanks for the advice, Jason. I was born and raised in Manhattan, so driving I don't mind at all. Does Panorama have a loaner car or just a courtesy vehicle? I am looking at trying to keep the time minimal, since she's very busy, trying to get things sorted before moving.

Now that I looked at the Metro North schedule, it looks like she might be able to hop a train up to White Plains and then we could just use the courtesy vehicle to get her from there. That would be ideal, and that might work the best for everyone involved. Being on the east side, it would be easy for her to hop up to 125th St. and get the Metro North. That might be best.

What I wanted to do was fly up to HPN to pick her up, and then departing from HPN head south and try to fly down the East River, around Battery Park, and up the Hudson. Maybe do this twice if they'll let me. I'll ask her if she has anything else she'd like to see while we're up in the air, that way I can try to plan in advance.

remember that the east river corridor is closed except with ATC communication and permission - the Hudson is still open. But as Jason says, if you pick your time well, you can probably work with ATC for a trip through the Bravo, at least up the Hudson.

I honestly don't know; I've never really asked since I've had my own car or my dad's when I'm there. If not, there are numerous rental car companies on the field that Panorama can drive you to. If you're just going to the White Plains train station, it may not be worth the cost for the rental car -- you may still be better off letting Panorama shuttle you in the van and just tip the driver $5 each way. Of course, it's totally up to you.

NY Approach is pretty accommodating, so your request should be approved if runway configuration and traffic volume allow. Call clearance on 127.25 before you taxi to put in your request so you can receive a squawk code and departure frequency. In accordance with the HPN/NY TRACON LOA, the clearance delivery controller will tell you to remain clear of the class bravo, maintain VFR at or below 2,500. When you check in with the departure controller, just append "request" to your transmission and they'll ask you to go ahead with your request and you will most likely get a Bravo clearance if it doesn't sound too busy.

Only advice I can offer on amenities at White Plains, Teterboro or Linden is to call ahead and ask. Check the AirNav site or your AFD for phone numbers.

I'd imagine it's cheaper to land, fuel up and park at Linden than anywhere else in the area, but she'd have two trains and a quick cab ride to deal with to get there, even though it's very close to the city. Transportation to HPN is more direct, I believe.

As far as shooting the Hudson corridor is concerned, you need not bother ATC at all, but be sure to know where you are at all times and use that CTAF! Listen carefully , keep your eyes outside, stay to the right, and call out your position frequently. And if the wind is blowing, expect a bump as you go over the GWB. ;)

As for the East River corridor, FWIW, I'd sooner ask for clearance thru the Bravo at a higher altitude and go right over the city (can't hurt to ask). I've never fancied flying down in there, even before "you-know-what" happened. On the Hudson side you have a little more wiggle room and more options in general if something goes wrong.

If you're just going to the White Plains train station,
I'd recommend the North White Plains train station, not White Plains. It's just one stop further up the train track and you eliminate the downtown traffic.

Depending on time of day, of course, that difference could be significant.

-Skip

I'd recommend the North White Plains train station, not White Plains. It's just one stop further up the train track and you eliminate the downtown traffic.

-Skip

Woops, typo on my part. Said one thing, meant another. The North White Plains station is a bit closer and easier to get to as Skip mentioned.

-Skip
If there is a taxi waiting, he'll charge around $25 (each passenger if he thinks he can get away with it) for a trip to the airport, so be sure to call the FBO for a ride instead.

I'll second the recommendation for HPN, Panorama, and the Metro North train. I've tried TEB and FRG. Coming from the west, it's one of your best options.

Greg

I'll second the recommendation for HPN, Panorama, and the Metro North train. I've tried TEB and FRG. Coming from the west, it's one of your best options.

Greg
Me, too. Which is sad, because Panorama is not the FBO where I'm tied down.

Give me a call when you come to town.

Ok, so fly into Panorama, use their courtesy vehicle to get to and from North White Plains station.

Aunt Peggy, the plan is going to be for a round trip on Sunday. Assuming scheduling goes as I think it will, my friend probably won't be able to get up there until about 2 or so, which will give enough time to take her for her flight, drop her off, and then hop back in the Archer and make it home before dark. If you're up for lunch, I could plan to arrive a bit early. I need to confirm all this with my friend and, of course, mother nature.

Ok, so fly into Panorama, use their courtesy vehicle to get to and from North White Plains station.

Aunt Peggy, the plan is going to be for a round trip on Sunday. Assuming scheduling goes as I think it will, my friend probably won't be able to get up there until about 2 or so, which will give enough time to take her for her flight, drop her off, and then hop back in the Archer and make it home before dark. If you're up for lunch, I could plan to arrive a bit early. I need to confirm all this with my friend and, of course, mother nature.

Let me know as well, I'll come down to meet you if I'm free. Even if I can't make lunch, I'll treat you to a [free] slice of Cheesecake at Panorama. :)

I will definitely give both of you a call when I have a better idea what's going on. At this point, I need to talk to my friend and get the schedule all figured out, but it looks like Sunday should be a good day for flying. Today my instructor and I went over what I would need to know, and he reminded me of a few things. I'm going to do my flight plan later this week and have that all worked out.

I think it may hopefully work out such that I could meet y'all for lunch around noonish, and then my friend would get there around 1-2. I don't know yet, though, and weather will, of course, be the final deciding factor.

This thread is awesome. Ted, I have to admit being a little jealous as I am still pre-solo. This thread is good motivation though. I can't wait until I can take a friend up!!!!

Tony, you will get there. I'll find out what it's like the first time you take up your first passenger on Sunday (other than with the instructor in the plane), but a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to use my pilotingto help a friend out, and I know that was really cool. I am looking forward to being able to go off and do more things with my license as time passes.

For the most part, your initial flights end up being for the sole purpose of burning AvGas, and in doing so learning how to burn AvGas in a safe manner. Once you get post-solo is the time when you begin to be able to do more with your license, and once you get your license you can start having more fun still. Hopefully this keeps you motivated, stick to it! :)

Well, it looks like this trip is most likely cancelled. I talked to her today and she said it looks like she just has too much to do. Understandable, and she'll be back so hopefully we'll plan it for another time.

Instead, it looks like we're planning a flight to Michigan for another friend so she can drop her daughter off. Said friend is a student pilot, and so she's always looking for flight time, much like me. I made out the flight plan for that tonight, will run over it with Missa tomorrow, and hopefully it should be a good trip.

Either way, it looks like Sunday will be a good day for building a bunch of hours. Woohoo! :)

Back