First time student - Cirrus sr22

What you want to do can easily be done. If you know you want a Cirrus SR 22, buy one. New or used, that's on you! But, while you are doing that, join COPA (Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association) and find a CFI that specializes in Cirrus. While it will cost more $$$ upfront, it will be cheaper in the long run! Don't listen to anyone that says you have to start in plane x or y! Aviation is a personal goal and accomplishment and their is no set way of doing it. The only set standards are what you have to train to do, how you train is on you and your CFI. Some fly once a week, I flew twice a day for a few weeks and got my ticket. Again, to each his own.
While there are definite advantages to training in the plane you will fly, to say it will be cheaper in the long run is just infinitely unlikely. At best, transition training to a cirrus would cost you around $2,000. I believe cirrus provides some training if you buy a plane, so even less than that. Compared to the additional $6k you’d spend getting your PPl in it (I think that’s a very low estimate) you’d never end up cheaper.

In addition, there is value in learning to operate more than one kind of plane. That’s something the “its better to learn in the plane you will fly” crowd never considers. You get a better understanding of flight. Only flying one plane makes it too easy to memorize numbers or patterns that only apply to that plane, making you a worse pilot overall.

And thanks to a necroposter I unwittingly replied to a 4 year old post. Yay me.

And thanks to a necroposter I unwittingly replied to a 4 year old post. Yay me.
What happens is the folks search the interwebs and it links them to an ancient POA post, they register and ask their question. I have no issues with it, you've answered a recent post! (Heck, I comment on four-year-old YT videos all the time.)

Back