First-Time Passenger Document/Web Page?

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
I'm going to fly my first "first flight" this weekend (up until now, all of my passengers have had previous small plane experience).

I have a neat brochure that I picked up at a pilot shop, but I was wondering if there was a good document or web page that I can e-mail to the passenger.

Anybody have anything?

I actually prefer not to overwhelm with info. I usually won't say much before flight day except "do you get carsick/seasick?" and "see you there!". Anticipation nervousness can be an issue. If I treat it as no big deal, they seem to pick up on it.

On the flightline, I'll ask how much they want to participate. Help me pre-flight? Just watch? Want to try flying? Taxiing? Some want to do it ALL (no, maybe with a CFI later) while others just want to go for a ride. I leave it up to them.

I strongly agree with Brian.
Don't overload them with information or options.
Believe it or not, if you come across "professionally" and "in charge" / "in control", that will be the major factor in their enjoyment.

A couple of Don'ts:
Don't go on a turbulent day... don't talk about mishaps... don't do steep turns/stalls

A couple of Do's:
Keep your passengers engaged.. point out stuff... be ready to turn around and land if they do not look comfortable.

Take pictures of them... first flight is a very cool life experience.

Mark;

I agree with Phil and Brian; I use to give plane rides years ago when I got my commercial. The rides were the 15 minutes for 4 dollars. Many were first time passengers in a small plane. I had a "route plan" set up well ahead of time. Never a steep turn or rapid climb or descent. As my instructor told me to fly; Passengers like a crate of eggs" "they can break easy". I would engage them if they wanted to know more. What was a lot of fun was when we would land and many would say, "Can we go again" That was the best reward to me.

Good luck with your passengers.

John

Toby has a great "brochure" that she made up for passengers, full of fun clip-art. Toby, could you post that one again?

--Kath

pcorman said:
I strongly agree with Brian.
Don't overload them with information or options.
Believe it or not, if you come across "professionally" and "in charge" / "in control", that will be the major factor in their enjoyment.

I also agree with the "keep it simple" concept, except that I find that many folks appreciate basic explanations of what I'm doing and why during the preflight, runnup, and landing. If nothing else, listening to me takes their mind off their fears. Just be real positive in all you say, IOW during the mag check say something like "testing the redundant ignition systems" rather than checking to see if one mag or a spark plug is bad".

Also, it's a real good idea to mention that during critical phases, you won't be able to chat or answer questions so you can devote your full attention to flying. That way, when you tell them to "wait until..." they won't think your in trouble. And never, never say "Oh ****!" while in the airplane.

I'm not too worried about the brief itself - I have an excited (not nervous or anxious - just excited) passenger and wanted to send something electronic along early.

If I can't find it - no biggie.

The one thing I do is give a brief explanation about how the sun's heat causes updrafts which in turn cause "bumps". VNC has a canal just off the departure end of 4 which frequently generates a bit of turbulance just after takeoff. I explain that as the airplane enters the rising air, the air "bumps" the plane higher. And that when we exit the column of rising air it may feel like we are dropping but that we actually just stop going up as fast.
While this may not be entirely accurate it does help anxious newbies remain calm. I have had several passengers tell me that they would have been upset with those bumps if they had not been told in advance what was causing them. Knowing what was happening made it a non-event.

Gary

Back