First time flying into OSH

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Well folks,

I'm planning on flying into OSH for the first time this year. I'll be taking the 182 up to CAD the weekend before OSH, then from there across the lake into OSH. I'm planning on camping with the plane there until Thursday, when someone else wants the plane so I'll take it back to MSN and drive my car back up and camp with the car. :rolleyes:

I'm in planning mode right now, and I have about a zillion and one questions. I'll start with this post, and I'm sure I'll add on to it later.

* What to bring? Tent, air mattress (yeah, I'm a wimp), sleeping bag, clothes, toiletries... ? That's pretty much the basics, what else might be handy?

* Tie-downs. I've read EAA's page on them, and of course I have the twist-in doggie variety they don't like. I understand why, I broke one at Gaston's last year and they don't hang on to the ground very well since they loosen it up on the way in. So, what should I get for tie-downs? I seem to recall someone selling them at the show last year... Who, and how much? Can I fly in and buy them (thus leaving the plane poorly secured for that amount of time), or am I gonna get kicked right outta there?

* Camping with the plane. EAA's "where to stay" says nothing about GA Camping, only Camp Scholler. The planning guide says $18 a night, no pre-registration so I guess I just show up? I assume someone meets the inbound planes at the camping area to collect?

* Any special procedure needed to get into the Cessna 172/182 camping area they're having this year? OK, found the info on that whole thing: http://www.c2o.us/ However, I can't find a time there, or anywhere, for the Cessna-hosted BBQ on Sunday evening or the non-free one on Wednesday. Anyone know when those are?

* I've read the NOTAM, but while it gives lots of details as to what to do, it doesn't really say what's going to happen very clearly. I know I'll get the arrivals that are in use from the arrival ATIS. I think I'll be assigned a particular one when I fly over Fisk. When do I receive my landing clearance? Also, it's not very clear who informs you that holding is necessary at Ripon (Green Lake) or Fisk (Rush Lake). ATIS, or Fisk Approach?

Is this all too much for someone to do solo the first time? (Hmmm, I should see if Rick Durden needs a ride! :yes:)

Is there somewhere were EVERYTHING on the schedule is listed? EAA's schedule has all of the forums and such, but I'm talking about the little tidbits you see from time to time on AvWeb such as how the D-Jet is supposed to arrive Wed. at 10:30 AM, do a flight demo at 2 PM, and then leave. I want to catch as many of these brief appearances and demos as possible, but I haven't found a single source that lists them all. :dunno:

Don't know about the rest, but I use the Fly Ties. Work much better than the twist-in IMO. Will Spruce get them to you before OSH? I don't know but you could call.

Kent, I'm with you on wanting info for a first time flight into OSH, I'm strongly thinking I'll be there this year. Uh, I mean I MUST be there this year.

Honestly, I don't understand the big to do about tie-down stakes. Do it like the Boy Scouts: hammer in a stake at a 30 or 45 degree angle opposite to the direction of pull. If the direction is unknown or variable, use two or more stakes at angles to each other. The link Richard provided is just a dolled up version of the same.

I use 18" lengths of #3 rebar with a 90 degree bend at the top. Just be sure to call DigAlert before driving your stakes.

In the interest of full disclosure, the previous owner of 77C threw them in with the deal, which is why I have them. OTOH, I think they are worth the 99 bucks you would have to shell out to buy them new, they seem extremely bomb proof.

flyingcheesehead said:
Is there somewhere were EVERYTHING on the schedule is listed? EAA's schedule has all of the forums and such, but I'm talking about the little tidbits you see from time to time on AvWeb such as how the D-Jet is supposed to arrive Wed. at 10:30 AM, do a flight demo at 2 PM, and then leave. I want to catch as many of these brief appearances and demos as possible, but I haven't found a single source that lists them all. :dunno:
It doesn't exist. The fine folks in the publications department there struggle to get out the program, much less amass an even larger volume of information that will change on a day to day basis anyway. Pick up an AirVenture Today each day and it will give a reasonably accurate schedule of that day's events. But to get one before the event, you're stuck with the web site.

flyingcheesehead said:
Well folks,
* What to bring? Tent, air mattress (yeah, I'm a wimp), sleeping bag, clothes, toiletries... ? That's pretty much the basics, what else might be handy?
I'd recommend that you bring some type of cooler if you can. If you can bring something to put in it, even better. You will pay a FORTUNE to eat and drink at OSH and quite frankly it's not always convienant to go to the food area to get something. There is a gas station within walking distance if you take the bus to the far north side of the north 40..There is a little area to get out of the fence and you can stock up on food / drinks at a reasonable cost...Ice too.
flyingcheesehead said:
* Tie-downs. I've read EAA's page on them, and of course I have the twist-in doggie variety they don't like. I understand why, I broke one at Gaston's last year and they don't hang on to the ground very well since they loosen it up on the way in. So, what should I get for tie-downs? I seem to recall someone selling them at the show last year... Who, and how much? Can I fly in and buy them (thus leaving the plane poorly secured for that amount of time), or am I gonna get kicked right outta there?
I used the twist-in ones last year. They are kind of a hassle and not as good as the newer design. There will be EAA volunteers there to greet you and they will not let you walk away from the airplane until it is tied down.

flyingcheesehead said:
* Camping with the plane. EAA's "where to stay" says nothing about GA Camping, only Camp Scholler. The planning guide says $18 a night, no pre-registration so I guess I just show up? I assume someone meets the inbound planes at the camping area to collect?
When you land you will exit the runway on the roll into the grass as soon as you safely can. At which point you will see volunteers everywhere along with cones. Before you go you will want to print a sign that says "GA CAMPING" (I think..it says on their site) and you will hold that up. The volunteers will flag you all over the place until they get you where they want you. When you get out of the airplane someone will come up and hand you a welcome pack and tell you to tie your airplane down before you walk away. After you tie it down you will take a bus to the registration area. They will charge you for a weeks worth on your credit card no matter what. If you leave early you come back to them and they will refund you the difference.
flyingcheesehead said:
* Any special procedure needed to get into the Cessna 172/182 camping area they're having this year? OK, found the info on that whole thing: http://www.c2o.us/ However, I can't find a time there, or anywhere, for the Cessna-hosted BBQ on Sunday evening or the non-free one on Wednesday. Anyone know when those are?
I have no clue how that works.

flyingcheesehead said:
* I've read the NOTAM, but while it gives lots of details as to what to do, it doesn't really say what's going to happen very clearly. I know I'll get the arrivals that are in use from the arrival ATIS. I think I'll be assigned a particular one when I fly over Fisk. When do I receive my landing clearance? Also, it's not very clear who informs you that holding is necessary at Ripon (Green Lake) or Fisk (Rush Lake). ATIS, or Fisk Approach?
More or less this is how it works. You listen to the ATIS and fly to the city/town of Rippon. If they are holding it will say on the ATIS. When you get to Rippon you follow the railroad tracks out of town and make sure you are monitoring FISK. FISK will say something like "white high wing over fix you have runway XX approach" or whatever. When they say that you will shake your wings and either continue straight or turn at that point depending on which runway you get. Keep in mind there are a TON of white high wings. They are referring to the airplane directly over FISK. FISK will also have a strobe to help you identify it. Now you tune in the tower frequency and do whatever the notam says for that runway. When you are on downwind they will say "white high wing on downwind cleared to land runway XX land on the green dot" you once again just shake your wings and land on whatever dot. As soon as you can safely exit the runway you turn off into the grass on the roll. As far as the size of your pattern, you are going to want to simply fly whatever the airplanes in front of you are doing.
flyingcheesehead said:
Is this all too much for someone to do solo the first time? (Hmmm, I should see if Rick Durden needs a ride! :yes:)
As long as you are comfortable doing it. It should be no problem. If you aren't comfortable the LAST place you want to be out of your comfort zone is Oshkosh.

I flew there last year. It *may* be possible that I could fly with you if you are interested. But it would depend on the days..etc.. I would of course split expenses.

Last edited:
This will be the first time for me to fly into OSH, too, although I've been attending Airventure since 1999. But I'm coming in on Friday before (wx permitting) and avoiding the arrival procedure. Be sure to have a LARGE sign for the windshield indicating where you want to park/camp per the NOTAM. Also make one for departure. Those signs really help the flaggers understand your intentions as arrivals and departures look the same to them once you leave the runway proper.

Everything Jesse said is pretty much on point. You might want to bring a couple of folding camp chairs (or buy them at Target once you get there).

I use "The Claw" for tiedowns. They will have them for sale at several locations in the vendor buildings and at Vintage headquarters. Also available online from several sources.

http://www.huntingsolutionsusa.com/products/claw.php

The ground is pretty hard at OSH which makes the "screw-in" type anchors a PITA to install. The "dog chain" style are worthless imho as they just chew up the dirt and will pull right out the first good rain with any wind. The rebar solution is a good one if you have a heavy hammer to drive them in deep, as long as you have enough angle on them to keep the rope from sliding off.

Be prepared for a go around at the last possible moment. Normally you will be sent back to downwind, but if there's a major snafu on the runway they may send you to the other runway or even back to the arrival hold. It's not a regular occurence, but it is always a possibility.

Steve said:
Be prepared for a go around at the last possible moment. Normally you will be sent back to downwind, but if there's a major snafu on the runway they may send you to the other runway or even back to the arrival hold. It's not a regular occurence, but it is always a possibility.
I thought all go-arounds are sent back to the arrival hold?

Also - be up to snuff on X-Wind landings. While OSH has many runway's you will not be able to request a more favorable runway... Land on what they give you or go elsewhere is my understanding of how it works (someone, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).

flyingcheesehead said:

Since you're bringing a 182 you can bring pretty much anything you could ever want. ha! Plan on a 'normal' camping trip with basic necessities nearby. As usual, plan on it being both extremely hot and cold and rainy when loading camping gear. A handheld Com radio can be pretty cool for sitting by the plane during the mass arrival/departures every day. Don't forget to bring some sort of 'chair in a bag', etc.

flyingcheesehead said:

As soon as you land, you'll pull off the runway onto the grass. You hold up your "GAC" (General Aviation Camping) sign and the flagperson will direct you to an open spot. Once there, or shortly after you arrive, a group of EAA'ers will pull up in either a snappy VW Bug convertible or a John Deere Gator with everything you need to get the ball rolling. They will sell you drive-in tie downs for $10 if I remember correctly and I *think* if you buy from them, they will drive them in for you every year you bring them. They're pretty good tie downs - we keep them in the plane as our 'main' tiedowns now.

flyingcheesehead said:

The EAA folks that have the tiedowns will also supply you with camping 'credentials' that you will take to the "Camping Registration" booth to pay for your stay. I think you pay for a 3 night minimum up front, but you can get a refund if you don't stay that long... or something like that. Either way, I think it's about $18/night.

flyingcheesehead said:

As long as you keep your head on your shoulders, and read and UNDERSTAND the NOTAM, you'll be fine. Just realize that the NOTAM is simply trying to keep everything going in the same general direction in a semi-straight line. Go to Ripon, follow the RR tracks toward the strobes at the NOTAM'ed AIRSPEED and ALTITUDE and LISTEN. Once over Fisk, the controllers (as mentioned by Jesse) will say "white high wing you're going to Runway 18 change to tower on XXX.XX". Once you LISTEN to your assigned tower freq and following the plane in front of you, they'll do the same "White high wing on downwind, turn base now, you're cleared to land runway 18 left enjoy your stay at Oshkosh". When you're on the ground, hold up your "GAC" sign, and follow the flag people to your spot in heaven. :D

flyingcheesehead said:

As long as you read and UNDERSTAND and FOLLOW the NOTAM, you should be OK. One thing that might be a help is to make a 'cheat sheet' with the radio freq's that you'll need and have them ready to roll once you get within 20 miles of Ripon. Just start a list that you can cross of as you go "Ripon ATIS -> Fisk Approach -> Each Runway Freq, etc." Just remember to keep your head on a swivel for all those yahoos out there that are bound and determined to take you and themselves to the ground in a fireball. Oh yeah... and HAVE FUN! :yes:

Looks like IF we get up there this year, we'll be up there Monday/Tuesday.

-Chris

Now I will really upset some of you,

There is an old adage, Only a Fool and a Watchmaker take the back off of a watch, changed a little it goes.

Only a fool and a fish fly a single engine airplane across lake michigan.

even in the summer water temps at mid lake are not conducive to surviving long enough to be rescued.

If you follow another plane closely, stay above its prop wash.

When I went in, they put me behind a conga line of slower traffic. With the accordian affect, got down to about 65 knots before I broke away and passed the slower traffic. Keep some space if you can between you and the guy in front of you if you have several on the approach and stay level or a little higher than the guy in front of you. Every machine known to man that can fly may be there. Some folks aren't real current and may not hold airspeed or altitude very well. Be prepared to make adjustments.

Have a great trip.

Dave

Depends on the situation, if the miss is due to a plane or planes on the runway too close to the touchdown point the tower usually sequences the miss back to the final approach, if there is an upset/incident and the runway is fouled expect instructions to enter the hold or switch to an alternate runway. The main thing is to always be prepared to change your plan when conditions change.

inav8r said:

jangell said:
I'd recommend that you bring some type of cooler if you can.

Good idea.

This also reminded me that I would *really* like to have some sort of fan available. Is there any kind of portable fan that doesn't need to be plugged in? Battery power, possibly with solar recharge?

Before you go you will want to print a sign that says "GA CAMPING" (I think..it says on their site)

GAC. They have PDF signs on their site, and the c2o site has "GAC - Cessna Base Camp" signs too.

As long as you are comfortable doing it. It should be no problem. If you aren't comfortable the LAST place you want to be out of your comfort zone is Oshkosh.

Here's my deal - My biggest flying fear is a mid-air. This is where a mid-air would be most likely to occur. Even after reviewing the NOTAM thoroughly, there will still be some head-down time. I guess I'm just concerned about whether I'll be able to spot all the traffic and such.

I think I have a potential solution though... Stay tuned.

I flew there last year. It *may* be possible that I could fly with you if you are interested. But it would depend on the days..etc.. I would of course split expenses.

I'd love to, but I'm flying in from Michigan. CAD to OSH on Sunday early evening, then probably back out to MSN on Thursday unless the other guy cancels. I'd be happy to give anyone a ride who wants one on that route.

Thanks!

wesleyj said:
Only a fool and a fish fly a single engine airplane across lake michigan.

Depends.

There is a VERY limited amount of time during the year where I'd consider it. July and August, pretty much. As high as possible (12k or 12.5k westbound depending on IFR/VFR), which limits exposure significantly. Finally, if you pick and choose your time and route correctly, you can ditch right in front of a boat (like the MTW-MKG ferry).

I almost did it late at night in February west to east. There was a crazy wind out of the west aloft (60-80 kt IIRC) that would have allowed for a crossing at 12,000 where there would be no time out of glide distance. IIRC the turn-back point was only 10 miles into the lake, after that we could glide to the other side.

Ken Ibold said:
It doesn't exist. The fine folks in the publications department there struggle to get out the program, much less amass an even larger volume of information that will change on a day to day basis anyway.

Have the fine folks in the publications department ever heard of a web site? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, Ken... I guess I won't be able to pre-schedule things as much as I'd hoped. Not that that's a bad thing! :no: Playing by ear is fun too. So far all I have on my "schedule" is the Cessna Base Camp BBQ on Sunday night, their LSA unveiling on Monday (though I have to find where that is... LSA Mall?), and the D-Jet on Wednesday.

Dave Siciliano said:
When I went in, they put me behind a conga line of slower traffic. With the accordian affect, got down to about 65 knots before I broke away and passed the slower traffic. Keep some space if you can between you and the guy in front of you if you have several on the approach and stay level or a little higher than the guy in front of you. Every machine known to man that can fly may be there. Some folks aren't real current and may not hold airspeed or altitude very well. Be prepared to make adjustments.

Thanks Dave... That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. :yes:

When we briefed they said we'd get a right downwind for 09 in the event of a go around. They also had warbirds and air show planes coming in on right downwind, north of 09 as the same time they were handling the line arriving from FISK, which comes in on a left base.

flyingcheesehead said:
Finally, if you pick and choose your time and route correctly, you can ditch right in front of a boat (like the MTW-MKG ferry).

Prolly not exactly what you meant, but ditching "right in front" of a freighter or ferry is a very bad idea. Chances are you won't even get out of the plane before you get run over.;)

[qoute][I almost did it late at night in February west to east. There was a crazy wind out of the west aloft (60-80 kt IIRC) that would have allowed for a crossing at 12,000 where there would be no time out of glide distance. IIRC the turn-back point was only 10 miles into the lake, after that we could glide to the other side.[/quote]

It's been a while but I ran some calculatons to see what effect the winds had on the minimum altitude necessary to remain within gliding distance and if memory serves (a depressingly rare occurance these days) the wind has virtually no influence on that. It certainly changes the decision point but I think that's about it. To get accurate abou this you have to consider the changes in best glide speed with wind (which shifts the origin of the L/D curve on which best glide is based). If I get bored I might try to run through the math again and see if my memory is good or bad.

Dave Siciliano said:
If you follow another plane closely, stay above its prop wash.

Nothing says you can't space out laterally, and personally I think that's a good idea since a wingspan offset will prevent contact even if you do overrun the plane ahead. Flying above in a low winged plane is a bit scary because if you do close you will lose sight of the plane you're following. For me below and to the right is the most comfortable. And IME the wake from most light planes disapates to something easily handled in a very short time/distance.

When I went in, they put me behind a conga line of slower traffic. With the accordian affect, got down to about 65 knots before I broke away and passed the slower traffic. Keep some space if you can between you and the guy in front of you if you have several on the approach and stay level or a little higher than the guy in front of you.

A useful trick if you are following someone going slower than you want is to make S turns. Rolling in and out of 30 degree banks decreases your forward speed considerably and makes you very visilble to the plane behind you.

Lance, you may remember from your glider days that adding about half the windspeed to your best glide speed will give you the true farthest distance over the ground. This applies to the real draggy gliders like Schweizer 2-22's and most airplanes with engines. the slicker hotshot fiberglass guys cut that down to .2 or .3. Without a copy of the glide polar, which wont exist for the airplane its hard to tell exactly. If you create your own polar though, its very easy to figure it out with an excel table and some interpolating.

flyingcheesehead said:
Even after reviewing the NOTAM thoroughly, there will still be some head-down time. I guess I'm just concerned about whether I'll be able to spot all the traffic and such.

I think I have a potential solution though... Stay tuned.

OK, here it is: OSH Simplified! I didn't put any of the warbird/turbine/NORDO/IFR stuff in there but for the vast majority of folks (as in, anyone using the Fisk arrival) this is how to do OSH in one simple page:

Attachments

• OSH simplified.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 28
flyingcheesehead said:
OK, here it is: OSH Simplified! I didn't put any of the warbird/turbine/NORDO/IFR stuff in there but for the vast majority of folks (as in, anyone using the Fisk arrival) this is how to do OSH in one simple page:
Good job. That shows you did yer homework so you know the procedures.

flyingcheesehead said:

As long as YOU understand it, you're good to go! Looks good! I might have to uhhh.. check it for in-flight accuracy. ;)

-Chris

Kent:

Nice work! In my experience, besides having created an outstanding ready reference, the mere act of putting it together has probably burned the key elements into your already-incisive mind.

So, what software did you use to create that masterpiece?

Hey Kent:
If you want priority on the approach, you could make a call like this one <g>.

"Carrier Akagi ... this is Imperial Navy 58-245 inbound with many holes and leaking tanks. You take me aboard quick -- huh?"

____Flight Warrant Officer Igocha Mucha
(loosely translated)

Best,

Dave

SCCutler said:
So, what software did you use to create that masterpiece?

OmniGraffle. http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

I haven't used it in quite a while (like three years) but it still works just fine in spite of the fact that the last time I used it was four computers ago(PowerBook G3, Titanium PowerBook G4, 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4, 17" MacBook Pro) and several OS upgrades ago as well. Oh, and that little processor architecture change too. That's the mark of some very well-written software.

Sorry Windows users... This one, as well as all other products by Omni Group, is Mac only. :D

flyingcheesehead said:
OmniGraffle. http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

I haven't used it in quite a while (like three years) but it still works just fine in spite of the fact that the last time I used it was four computers ago(PowerBook G3, Titanium PowerBook G4, 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4, 17" MacBook Pro) and several OS upgrades ago as well. Oh, and that little processor architecture change too. That's the mark of some very well-written software.

Sorry Windows users... This one, as well as all other products by Omni Group, is Mac only. :D

TO: Kent
RE: Computers

NUTS.

If it works, it works. Win/Mac; Hi/Lo wing---as long as it works.

Richard said:
If it works, it works. Win/Mac; Hi/Lo wing---as long as it works.

Agreed. I just had to take the opportunity to jab at the folks who say there's no software for the Mac. (Check VersionTracker, there's oodles!) I'm sure Visio would do just as well, but it's been a while since I used that too.

As much as I'm a rabid Mac fan, there are certainly plenty of instances where Windoze is the proper tool for the job. It's just not nearly as many as some folks would have you think.

Re: Hi/Lo wing - I actually prefer flying low-wings, but not due to the position of the wing so much. I'm glad I'm in a club where I have both, as high wings have some distinct advantages in certain situations (much like Windows! :D) such as taking pictures of the ground, and having room to pitch a tent under the wing! :yes: I'll be doing that for the first time at OSH this year, and I'm really looking forward to it.

flyingcheesehead said:
Well folks,

I'm planning on flying into OSH for the first time this year.
... snip ...
* I've read the NOTAM, but while it gives lots of details as to what to do, it doesn't really say what's going to happen very clearly.
My first year at Oshkosh was 2004 with Hubby and we wrote up our experience. If you have several hours to read, try this first-time first-hand experience.
http://home.att.net/~auntpeggy/StoriesWeekendOshkosh2004.html
- Aunt Peggy

flyingcheesehead said:
Agreed. I just had to take the opportunity to jab at the folks who say there's no software for the Mac. (Check VersionTracker, there's oodles!) I'm sure Visio would do just as well, but it's been a while since I used that too.
Or, better yet, just use the web based version :)

http://www.gliffy.com/

AuntPeggy said:
My first year at Oshkosh was 2004 with Hubby and we wrote up our experience. If you have several hours to read, try this first-time first-hand experience.

Wow, cool! Thanks! I will read it tomorrow in the truck. :)

flyingcheesehead said:
Wow, cool! Thanks! I will read it tomorrow in the truck. :)

You mean while STOPPED at a drop spot, right? ;)

-Chris

First acquire, read, and understand the NOTAM booklet.

You should not be overtaking too many if you are north of Ripon. All aircraft are to depart Ripon over the railroad tracks at 1800MSL and 90kts. (or maximum cruise speed if less than 90kts). If you can't slow down to 90kts., then you should be at 2300MSL and 135kts.

Don't rock your wings unless asked to do so.

If you can not accept the crosswind on the runway you have been assigned, let someone know. You may be requested/required to go to an alternate airport, but it beats the alternative of attempting a landing that exceeds either your, or your aircraft's capabilities. You are just as likely (actually more likely) to be given the other runway if it meets your requirements.

Just like at any other time, don't accept instructions from ATC if you or your aircraft are not capable of complying. This includes rocking your wings, if doing so may have disasterous effects.

Make sure you have enough fuel. If you don't have enough fuel (or have any other critical or emergency situation), let someone know.

Make sure you are lined up with the correct runway. More than once someone has lined up on 09 with everyone else landing on 27.

AuntPeggy said:
http://home.att.net/~auntpeggy/StoriesWeekendOshkosh2004.html
- Aunt Peggy

Read it today... Excellent write-up!

Aunt Peggy's OSH write-up said:
One-fifth of all general aviation airplanes in the US go to Oshkosh each year.

Is that all? I thought there were 200,000 or so airplanes in the US, and that most of them (like 75% or more) were GA? :dunno:

and a strange twin engine flying cracker box.

LOL! :rofl: That's the best description of a Shorts I've ever heard! :yes:

inav8r said:
Marion Blakely had to make a go-around because of the Nanchangs that Ken Ibold and I were landing in at OSH in 2004, but I don't know where they sent her. :D I remember hearing her pilot on the radio and looking up to see the big jet going over our heads.

Diana said:
I don't know where they sent her.

Hopefully a over-priced middle seat in cattle class on an airliner.... :rolleyes:

wsuffa said:
Hopefully a over-priced middle seat in cattle class on an airliner.... :rolleyes:
Watch you wish for. It can be arranged that her flight is delayed due to all of those free-loading little airplanes getting in the way.

I remember watching that while listening to the warbird arrival frequency from the Mustang area.

They sent her plane back around to downwind over the lake for another approach. The second time they asked the Trimotor side step to the parallel taxiway to let her [our] plane land on the main N/S.

Diana said:
Marion Blakely had to make a go-around because of the Nanchangs that Ken Ibold and I were landing in at OSH in 2004, but I don't know where they sent her. :D I remember hearing her pilot on the radio and looking up to see the big jet going over our heads.

Last edited:
Back