First time buy - Archer vs Arrow?

74 would be nice, but I'd settle for the "light twin", 777. :)

That's the problem with America today...nobody has any ambition or aspires to great things any more. A mere 777, ha :D :rolleyes:

upload_2016-12-2_4-15-17.png

Screen_20Shot_202013-04-10_20at_202.40.38_20PM.0.png

Arrow was my first plane out of training and I flew it for 5 years and 600 hours. I practically had no extra maintenance cost on landing gears except mechanic doing retraction tests during the annual. I liked the arrow but it is definitely slow airplane for being a retractable with 200 HP engine. I don't thing either Archer or arrow will carry 4 adults with full fuel. Also the way I made some of the landings during the training I am not sure a retractable is good choice for primary training.

All the seats full and topped off tanks isn't much of a priority for most pilots as someone will have to use the potty before 4 hours. Seems like a 2-3 hour flight is more common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies!...there is a ton of useful opinions and data on this thread.

Best,

mkb

Why do Archer II owners think their plane is worth more than an Arrow II or even an Arrow III?

Why do Archer II owners think their plane is worth more than an Arrow II or even an Arrow III?
Actually the question is not what the owner thinks, it is what the market thinks. Good, low-time Archers are getting scarce and the simpler Archer is a better basic trainer than the Arrow; if the market is paying more for Archers that may be the reason.

Which means if you're not needing a trainer buy an Arrow

Simple economics actually...this can be explained by the invisible hand theory. "The unobservable (sic) market force that helps the demand and supply of goods in a free market to reach equilibrium automatically is the invisible hand." Said another way, higher demand for Archers versus a lower quantity of Archers to sell means a higher price.

For me, I just entered a Purchase Agreement on an Arrow because it fits my mission better than an Archer.

The same reason 172s sell for such over-bloated costs compared to what they actually are capable of.

People are used to them. They train in them. So naturally, they buy them.

The same reason 172s sell for such over-bloated costs compared to what they actually are capable of.

People are used to them. They train in them. So naturally, they buy them.

I have been scratching my head now stop to try and figure out why a 160hp 172 is selling more than a comparable 180hp Archer...mind numbing actually. Don't get me wrong, but are they really worth more than an airplane that has more power and is just as capable (if not more) as they are?

Congrats! Any stipulations from the insurance company given your time and specifically, time in make and model? Beautiful plane, enjoy!

Congrats, you'll love it. Got any panel shots?

Any stipulations from the insurance company given your time and specifically, time in make and model?

Yes...I don't have my complex rating so I need that and 5 hours solo after I get it before I can take passengers up with me.

Very nice! Congrats!

Yes...I don't have my complex rating so I need that and 5 hours solo after I get it before I can take passengers up with me.

wow, u bought a compl plane with no compl endorsement? interesting. I'm curious, how painful was the insurance rate? I'm actually asking specifically for a friend who's considering doing something similar.

CONGRATS!!! Great Looking Plane!

Arrow is the right first complex plane...

wow, u bought a compl plane with no compl endorsement? interesting. I'm curious, how painful was the insurance rate? I'm actually asking specifically for a friend who's considering doing something similar.
The partnership one went from like 1100 to 1400 when I joined (had my license just over a year but only around 70 hours). Another guy just joined who had gotten his PPL within the last month just above 40 hours. Rate increased to 15 or 1600. Still not bad in my opinion.

Edit to add: these numbers are VERY rough off the top of my head, but I don't think I'm too far off.

I'd buy that for a dollar! - Robocop

nice looking plane. have fun

Your friends should be envious you have this "problem". Great looking plane and a great choice for your first complex. Enjoy!

I'd buy that for a dollar!....

ugh, years ago at a friends bachelor party that we had at an all nude place (in jersey u had strip clubs where they could serve booze but the girls only went topless, or bring-your-own-booze places where they were full nude) and a girl was up on the bar exposing a 'certain area' to us and in classic movie fashion, at the very split second the loud music stops, a young, dumb, very drunk eman1200 yells "I'd buy that for a dollar!!". man that chick wanted to kill me hahaha.

Sweet plane! Congrats. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Nice radios and engine monitor.

You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of this plane. Congrats !

ugh, years ago at a friends bachelor party that we had at an all nude place (in jersey u had strip clubs where they could serve booze but the girls only went topless, or bring-your-own-booze places where they were full nude) and a girl was up on the bar exposing a 'certain area' to us and in classic movie fashion, at the very split second the loud music stops, a young, dumb, very drunk eman1200 yells "I'd buy that for a dollar!!". man that chick wanted to kill me hahaha.

It's probably because Robocop came out almost 30 years ago.....she probably had no clue what you were talking about!!

Sweet ride!!!

Congratulations...:happydance::happydance::happydance: Nice plane now go fly it like you stole it and enjoy every second...:goofy::goofy::goofy:

That engine monitor is a big improvement over the stock manifold pressure gage and tach down by the pilot's right kneecap.

I am lobbying my partners to install this gauge to replace our hinky combined MP/FF instrument. It offers all of the parameters you need on one glance.

I am lobbying my partners to install this gauge to replace our hinky combined MP/FF instrument. It offers all of the parameters you need on one glance.
Do you have a cost estimate for this?

Back