First thread!

ettsn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ettsn
First thread in a new forum, nice!

To stay on topic, yesterday was gorgeous in Atlanta, and I have to give some props to the controllers at KPDK. They had a runway shutdown due to an incident, and about 7,000 airplanes inbound, and they managed to keep the whole shebang moving with no issues. They even juggled such disparate traffic as a Gulfstream V and an old radial biplane. Kudos!

I was out there eating at the 57th yesterday. It was a fairly busy day but did not seem too crazy. Any idea what time the incident occurred? I saw a firetruck driving down the taxiway around 2:00PM but figured he was just doing some practice training run.

It was about 4p or so. It happened shortly after I took off and was mostly cleaned up by the time I returned. I was listening to the tower in the car (LiveATC) and they reopened 21L about 15 minutes after I drove away. I heard it was a gear up, but I'm not sure exactly.

And traffic was high, but felt WAY higher without the parallels running. On initial, we were 7th inline for 21R, with a few also stacked for 16. What made it fun to watch after we returned was all the big jets doing short field rocketship takeoffs on 16 (I ramp at Signature, right next to 16). There was a Lear 45 and the Gulfstream that chased us in took off again. Awesome to watch!

The Bomber Sq restaurant? Man haven't been there in decades. Still good? Had one of the best huge burgers upstairs above Epps I guess?
I wouldn't go back. It wasn't worth what we paid.

I wouldn't call The Downwind's food "good." It's definitely edible.

PDK is prone to gear issues. I've had two there and seen two firsthand. The controllers are my favorite and handle every type pilot without issue. I'd buy them all a few rounds.

I ate there in August, it was fine. Way better than any of my local joints, that's for certain.

I like the Downwind. The buffalo shrimp are great, and the burgers decent (although they used to make an awesome burger that was two 1/4lb patties grilled with swiss on top, they top one with sauteed mushrooms and then put the other one cheese down on top, which locks the shrooms in swiss cheese -- so yummy, but alas, they took it off the menu). Best part, sitting on the balcony, sipping beers and playing "name that plane" to everything that lands, taxis or takes off.

I like the Downwind. The buffalo shrimp are great, and the burgers decent (although they used to make an awesome burger that was two 1/4lb patties grilled with swiss on top, they top one with sauteed mushrooms and then put the other one cheese down on top, which locks the shrooms in swiss cheese -- so yummy, but alas, they took it off the menu). Best part, sitting on the balcony, sipping beers and playing "name that plane" to everything that lands, taxis or takes off.

Haha I think I annoyed my wife with the name that plane game... She also agreed to buying an eclipse or pc12 so I guess it wasn't a total loss. Now to find that money.

I thought he 57th was good but a little overpriced for what we got. That being said I'll go back there again. So far my favorite in the area is elevation chophouse at RYY.

Back