First thing a pilot should learn?

flyingfox

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingfox
I will be learning to fly starting next April. I have accumulated some materials recently to help me achieve that. Obviously there's a wealth of information for a pilot, but if I were to start learning at home now, where should I begin?
This is what I have:
The sporty's What You SHould Know DVD for PPL
Pilot handbook of aeronautical knowledge 2003
Airplane flying handbook FAA H 8083-3 1999
Rod Machado's private pilot Handbook first version
Aviation weather AC 00-6A

What would you advice me to begin with?
Thank you.

Read Machado's book first. I read it several years before I ever started lessons and enjoyed it tremendously.

Wells

I will be learning to fly starting next April. I have accumulated some materials recently to help me achieve that. Obviously there's a wealth of information for a pilot, but if I were to start learning at home now, where should I begin?
This is what I have:
The sporty's What You SHould Know DVD for PPL
Pilot handbook of aeronautical knowledge 2003
Airplane flying handbook FAA H 8083-3 1999
Rod Machado's private pilot Handbook first version
Aviation weather AC 00-6A

What would you advice me to begin with?
Thank you.

The first thing you should learn, the very first thing, is that an aircraft in flight is supported by money. You'll encounter references to Newton and Bernoulli in your studies but that's pretty much a lotta crap. It's money that keeps an aircraft in the air.

The first thing you should learn, the very first thing, is that an aircraft in flight is supported by money. You'll encounter references to Newton and Bernoulli in your studies but that's pretty much a lotta crap. It's money that keeps an aircraft in the air.

TRUTH! :thumbsup:

Read the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge first, with careful attention to the aerodynamics sections... Then, just before you start the flight training, read through the Airplane Flying Handbook.

Ryan

Like the others have said:

1) budget your training finances
2) Get a copy of "Stick and Rudder"

Last edited:
1. The very first thing to remember as a student pilot is to fly the airplane. After you get your PPL never forget to fly the airplane. When all else fails fly the airplane. Hopefully, you see the pattern here? ;)
2. Altitude is your friend.
3. Airspeed is everything.

Everything else you learn is secondary to the above 3.

The 3 things that are worthess to a pilot?
1. The altitude above you.
2. The runway behind you.
3. The fuel you left on the ground.

Last edited:
They say that the first three things a CFI must learn to say are:

1. "Right rudder. More right rudder."

2. "I have the controls."

3. "I guess I could take a check, but would rather have cash if you've got it."

You are a pilot now... Pilots notice things, like weather, the tread on the tires, etc...

You should be shaved and combed, wear chinos, polished shoes and a pressed shirt...

That is what an airman looks like...

Capiche?

THIS!!! Time elleventy billion!

I find that Rod Machado's book, while an excellent source of information, sometimes just overloads you with it. I was getting ready for my written, read the Weather chapter, and failed Weather portion of a practice test miserably. What helped me was King Schools DVDs. They sound like they just copied them from a 20 year old VHS tapes, but they are quick, to the point, and do not put you to sleep, like Sporty's DVDs do. Went through them, walked away with 92% on my written.

I would start with Aerodynamics. You need to know what airplane needs to fly (other than a bucket of cash). Then get familiar with engine controls, airport markings, etc. Finish up with cross country planning and weather. This is the route I went, and it worked for me. Your mileage may vary, however...

Disclaimer: I am a student pilot, not a CFI or anything.

In the pattern never forget airspeed. Lack of it has ended many a flight tragically. Try to get a feel for it when slow by the sensitivity of the controls.

This is your order of priority when flying:
Aviate
Navigate
Communicate

There's a lot of material. Don't jump ahead too much. When you start your training focus on the first one first. You're going to learn how to fly in the first 10-15 hours (up to first solo) so learn what you need to do to stay safe for that particular stage of your training.

You *will* make mistakes. The most important lesson I learned throughout, and still do, is to never dwell on what has happened. If you think you finally have stalls/steep-turns/landings/etc. nailed down, and you screw one up (you will, everyone does) don't focus on it! It's done, and just move on. The pilot who always makes perfect landings right on the numbers will be in serious trouble the first time they're thrown out of this element. The pilot who is always reflecting, adjusting, and learning will be able to keep their calm when sh&& hits the fan.

First thing to learn is how not to crash. After that it's all gravy.

Waoo, so much info.

Thanks especially Meanee, madseason and Apache for your input.

I'll throw two things out that I learned really quickly. First, ask questions when you don't know something. Aviation is full of acronyms and terms that you can't possibly know before you begin training so the more you ask the better. Second, air traffic controlers talk fast, so if you plan on training at a towered airport especially a busy one, you should start listening to how that whole side of aviation works. If you do this it will take away the fear factor I had when I first started to talk to atc because you will be familiar with what they say. My instructors encouraged me to listen to a website called liveatc.net and that really helped me get use to the speed at which communication occurs.

Have fun, but always respect it and never ever exceed your limits.

First thing a married pilot should learn?

How to bury flying costs into household, car, business, mistress upkeep, gambling, and bar tab categories in the monthly expenses.

I bought a copy of the PTS.

Within the first few pages it lists all the books you will need. However, I did not look at the instrument book too much or the weather book (though I should have).

This is what the PTS looks like, they might sell it at your airport:

faa-s-8081-14as.jpg

How to run by the ATM machine BEFORE heading to the airport...

To add to the humor.... I met a CFI who would say...

"I can teach you to take off and safely fly for less than $500.00. The lessons to teach you how to land? Now that's $6,500!"

Fox, I'll +1 Kimberly's suggestion of getting a copy of the PTS and referring to that. From there is how your "final exams" will be conducted, and from there is from where everything a CFI will teach you is summarized. Sticking with that will help you accomplish your goal of flying and help save a few dollars buy not buying books you don't need. The FAA books listed in the PTS are must haves for your library.

The ones not listed in the PTS I'll suggest are Stick and Rudder, "The Complete Private Pilot" by Bob Gardner, and "Say Again, Please" also by Bob Gardner.

And I know of a guy who on occasion runs a good deal on the Gleim private pilot kits. PM me and I'll pass his info.

It's going to be like drinking from a fire hose. There is information in many of the things the instructor says in your first few lessons. Then he becomes dead weight as you get better handling the machine. Then you get to leave his dead sorry butt on the ground for your first solo. Then it is back to fire hosing while you do your cross country flights.
The first thing you need to learn is how to separate what is really important and what is chatter. If something does not make sense, ask right then.

Don't let your takeoffs outnumber your landings! Seriously, though, consider reading William Kershner's "STUDENT PILOT MANUAL". I really like Machado, too. Haven't read any of his books, though.

They say that the first three things a CFI must learn to say are:

1. "Right rudder. More right rudder."

2. "I have the controls."

3. "I guess I could take a check, but would rather have cash if you've got it."
That pretty well sums it up. I really don't mind checks, what annoys me more is when they show up and have absolutely no method of paying me, which is why I now accept credit cards...sigh.

Rod Machado's private pilot Handbook and pilot hand book aeronautical knowledge would be my recommendation to read first, rod 's book is easier to understand, and the other one talks a lot more stuff in general. after you read that, go through faa written test book and then flying book along the way with your flying. If you can get the first two books down before you start flying, you can spend more time on concentrating flying, and use the books as a review and reference.

That pretty well sums it up. I really don't mind checks, what annoys me more is when they show up and have absolutely no method of paying me, which is why I now accept credit cards...sigh.

Credit cards! I hope you charge extra for the amt the card company tags you....
Checks and cash or don't fly.....

~~~~~. If you can get a fair amount of reading done before and during your actual flight lessons that will help. Some of what you read won't make complete sense till you fly it but then it will be like, oh,yeah,now I get it...

Remember too that everyone has learning plateaus so be patient with yourself

And remember that it doesn't have to be your money. OPM will work too.

Good luck... and enjoy it.

Back