Old Fart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
:yes:

KTOA to KCRQ to KRNM (and back unless something goes horribly wrong) :mad2:

Timmer, please arrange for AWESOME WEATHER good sir :goofy:

Congratulations! have fun. It's a great experience first time.

I bet it is pretty out there.
Bring a camera.

Weather is looking good (I sort of accidentally put Garmin Pilot up on my big screen at work) (oops)

As a side note, I hope you don't have a prop strike like I did on my first XC solo... stupid bird.

And to show just how naive I was, the plane seemed fine so I just flew it back (almost 100nm) to my home airport and told my instructor. He just about chopped off my head for not landing immediately (it happened on takeoff) and calling him.

I try to avoid birdies. My office at LAX is on departure (far west side) - I see all the Egrets daily and think "WHACK"!

Have fun and take in the view! I will never forget my first solo XC, I don't expect you will either. :)

Have fun and take in the view! I will never forget my first solo XC, I don't expect you will either. :)

Yup, it's much cooler than the very first solo. It's when you really start to think of yourself as a pilot.Have fun, Jeff!

:yes:

KTOA to KCRQ to KRNM (and back unless something goes horribly wrong) :mad2:

Timmer, please arrange for AWESOME WEATHER good sir :goofy:

Palomar is fairly easy to see when turning in from Oceanside, but for what it's worth, I had a TOUGH time digging Ramona out of the hills when approaching it from Oceanside and abeam Palomar. I think it's partly because the runway at Ramona is more or less end-on from that direction, and partly because I just suck.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Today will now crawl at .00001 normal speed................

Palomar is fairly easy to see when turning in from Oceanside, but for what it's worth, I had a TOUGH time digging Ramona out of the hills when approaching it from Oceanside and abeam Palomar. I think it's partly because the runway at Ramona is more or less end-on from that direction, and partly because I just suck.

Have fun!

Had that problem coming back to KTOA one late afternoon. All the gadgets said "airport be right dere", but my Mod1/Mark1 eyeball said "wheredat?"

Enjoy!

Three milestones I'll never forget on my PPC journey, and they were all relatively a little "bigger" than the prior one. 1.) Solo, 2.) Solo XC, 3.) Having the DPE tell me that it would take a few minutes for him to process my Termporary Certificate. :goofy:

Damn - I knew I was forgetting something :)

Yep, lifted off from KTOA a little before 0900, was back before 1130. Nice easy flight, the folks with SOCAL were their usual friendly selves. No problem in and out of CRQ (memo to self - request LEFT downwind departure next time) and as always, the comedians in the tower at RNM were entertaining.

Very few "do this different next time" notes.

As a side note, I hope you don't have a prop strike like I did on my first XC solo... stupid bird.

Funny you say that...my fist solo XC I found myself taking "evasive maneuvers" to avoid a flock of birds while descending into my first stop!

The anticipation is greater than the reality. Once in the air you won't want to come back...

Man but that pilot was UGLY :eek:

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 15
LOL, considering I have TWO of them at my disposal, my opinion might be a bit biased too :)

Back