First Solo XC Completed

numl0ck

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
Completed my first solo cross country yesterday afternoon. Flew from KWST to KPYM direct (59mn) which took me though PVD class Charlie airspace on the way to PYM and on top of the class C heading home. Talking to approach was fun, and gave me something to listen to other than the engine and my own thoughts. Aside from the normal traffic people were doing practice approaches and the occasional request for flight following. I was trying to put a picture together of who/what was in the sky around me.

On the way back was my favorite moment of the trip. I was just south of PVD at 4500ft and I get a call from Approach "5811E traffic 5 miles, 9'oclock. 5000 descending to 3000. Type 737." I look to my left and there he was, turning towards me like he's hunting me down. "11E, heh, has traffic in sight." Pretty easy to spot when he's that close and closing that quickly. He flew above and behind me. Really cool to watch.

This was also my first trip with my new ENC DavidClark headset, H10-30X. Bought it off eBay and couldn't be happier. Very worth the money spent. I can hear and understand the radio much better now.

It feels great to complete another milestone towards my PPL. I have two more cross countries coming up: OXC and MVY via the COSSY intersection. Then the long >100nm. I snapped a few cellphone pictures on the way back but none of the 737 - I was too busy watching him fly by. The first one is of Newport RI. Second one shows me over-top of the class C airspace. The photo with the wing strut you can see PVD in the center. Looks distant but it's only about 8 miles away. It was getting hazy and the light was poor. Then the obligatory dork photo of me, with Newport RI in the background with my new headset. And last photo is of Jamestown and the Jamestown Bridge in the foreground and the Newport Bridge in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
Nice job fellow northeast pilot on the first XC. I've flown to your airport before in Westerly RI- its a nice little field.

Enjoy the remaining stages in your training!

When I get my PPL, KWST is one of the first places I plan to fly into. We have friends with a nice boat down there, and the deal was I take them in the air, and they take us on the water :)

I fly out of Dooney's, on the south side of WST.

We have the cheapest fuel in the area by about $1.00, $6.55 right now for 100LL (It's at least $1 more on the north side of the airport). If anyone is looking for a cheap fillup, that's the place. We have guys fly from Long Island to fuel up.

I don't know if there is a landing fee or not...never bothered to ask. Crew car is available if one is needed.

The proximity to Watch Hill and Misquamicut make it a great summer destination.

Congratulations!! An important step along the path. Nice shots of some of my old stomping grounds. I flew HH3Fs out of CGAS Cape Cod back in the dark ages. Some of the most beautiful coastlines in the East.

Back