First solo signoff

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
It's been exciting at Lincoln today. One of my students recieved his solo endorsement. Although it's not an initial solo since he stopped flight training over a year ago, it's still a great thrill to see someone that I've taught how to land go out on their own. I think I might have been more excited than he was but he had many things going on. His main concern when he signed up was learning the radios since his initial lessons were at a non-controlled airport as well as learning how to land better before preparing for the checkride. He showed me he could do both today without help.

After I signed paperwork, he did three landings. After he landed, the last words from tower were "Cessna 824SP, nice job, contact ground point niner." I had a big smile. When he shut down I asked him how it went. He laughed and said, "well...the first one was good, the other two were interesting but it feels good to be in the air again."

So..he deserves a round of applause.

Applause to him and to you, Tristan! Congrats to you both!

Congrats to both of you. I'll bet your grin was as big as his :thumbsup:

good job tristan. an instructors first solo student is at least as big of a deal as their own first solo. if that makes any sense.

i drank 3 Dr. Pepper's by the time my first solo student got around his first pattern.

Good going. First of many, all a bit nerve-wracking for the one who's watching.

What did you learn while teaching him?

an instructors first solo student is at least as big of a deal as their own first solo. if that makes any sense.
I agree with that. I can remember my first solo student. I wonder what ever happened to him...

Edit: So I was curious. He was the also the first student I signed off for the private. It looks like he got his instrument rating a few years later but his last medical was in 1994. Weird how much you can find out on the internet...

Last edited:
Back