First solo in Wisconsin

masloki

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Nunya
Soloed on Friday and here is how it went down...

Checked weather and had the first uh-oh. My tiny airport, 5k6, doesn't have weather so we triangulate between others. KBUU had OVC014 and KENW had clear. Well, hoping that weather would magically head west for me, headed on over to the airport, about an hour away. Checked weather 10 minutes out, and KBUU obliged by going to OVC012. A sinking feeling started in my stomach but I pressed on.

Greeted the instructor and asked I was ready to go. Sure, but the clouds look a bit low. Not to worry, he had just come back in and the clouds were 018, and pattern altitude is 017, so we can go. Cool! We did a lot of work including soft field take off, paved and then snow covered grass :yikes:, short field take off from the paved, engine out landing twice for good measure. Winds started up, so we switched runways in the pattern, and we were brushing up against the now broken 1700' ceilings. After a few good landings, he asked if i could keep it up on my own. I said with '85% chance, sure, and otherwise I am just going to go around.' He got out, I had my grin plastered on my face, and took off.

Sure enough, came around the first lap, everything happens twice as fast it seems. I was PIC. Watching for traffic, making calls, all the work paid off I was going to do it _right_. Came in a little high and slow and final, which was easy enough to swap for good height and speed. Touched down a tad soon but good. Next, high and fast and that turned into a go around. Next two landings were better and best :). He got video for all but the best, so without any evidence, it was a total greaser.

Notes from my training for your training. Use that damn right rudder on take off and _landing flare_! No winds actually make things a little harder. Anticipate the changes you make with flaps and throttle will need control input. Throttle out = pull nose up. Flaps in = push nose down. Putting in the last set of flaps will make a high situation worse :) Stall horn when 5' off the ground is a good thing, though it surprised me the first few times. With a 30' wide runway, it took me a while to sort out that rudder was primary for maintaining centerline, and ailerons were secondary to rudder. You need both, but the rudder is your friend on landing. With a 2700' long runway, and a displaced threshold to boot, I learned to get my attention span to caffeine enhanced levels; power set, altitude maintained, descent maintained, pitch, flaps, pattern distance, check and adjust, check and adjust.

Logbook
28.2 hr Total, 0.5 hr PIC, 88 landings

Good on you! Amazing how the plane jumps off the runway in cool temps with out the CFI on board isn't it?

air temp was about 34 deg F. cessna 152.

climbed like a homesick angel :)

Nice job! Enjoy the solo time. I just got my 10 hours of required solo and enjoyed every second! It only gets better after the first solo.

Great solo story, but I do have a question... the instructor said 100' below the clouds was legal VFR cloud clearance?

Great solo story, but I do have a question... the instructor said 100' below the clouds was legal VFR cloud clearance?

As long as the airport ( and pattern altitude) was in G airspace, they would have been legal, no?

And congrats on the solo. Sure is a good feeling!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There are two things that will send a thread into the weeds faster than a tricycle gear pilot's first crosswind landing in a Luscombe - one is invoking regs and the other is calling someone a Nazi...

I'm not sure which is worse...

Great flight report danad - keep it up...

denny-o

Congratulations! The next big flight is your first unsupervised solo! My son did that about a month ago, funny to watch him get the plane ready and start it up and taxi out by himself, makes an old man proud!:D Not the same as the first solo, but it's another milestone!:yikes:

Thanks for the congrats guys. A hat tip to Dr. Bruce for making what could have been a problem not a problem.

And, yes it was class G, 1200 AGL, and pattern altitude at 900. So, we stayed clear of clouds during dual, and the ceilings had raised by the time I soloed.

Congratulations. Doing it on a 30' wide runway makes it even more impressive. I've only landed on a runway that narrow twice.

Back