First Solo Flight

magichat101

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
magichat101
Hey all,

I have around 100 hours but do not have my private.

I have always been scared of flying alone, is that a normal fear that many of you have?

Any advice?

Hey all,

I have always been scared of flying alone, is that a normal fear that many of you have?

Any advice?

Have you solo'd?

I have two friends that have 40 or more dual and yet to solo.

no! It's embarrassing but I have not... Right before I am supposed to i Chicken out

I'm closing in on 300 hours and I'm still anxious every time I fly. This may seem sort of strange, but what if you take a CFI up with you for some flights and have him not say anything at all to you while you fly. Then, the next time you go up, have him sit in the back seat. It might be difficult to find a CFI to agree to that last part, however. I guess this could be a productive process to help you realize that you can fly alone. Also, if you're rich, you could just pay a CFI to fly around with you every time you go up and not worry about it. I didn't think I was ready to solo when I did, but my instructor was of the opinion that if he left it up to the student, most would never solo.

Being a little (or even a lot) nervous about that first solo is normal, but putting 100 hrs' worth of time, money and effort into training, then "chickening out" repeatedly, is not normal.
Assuming your instructor has signed you off to solo, that means you have already flown the plane yourself from startup to shutdown without their intervention. So you can obviously fly solo safely...the only problem is your own misgivings. You're psyching yourself out.
What exactly is it that makes you change your mind? What goes through your head?

no! It's embarrassing but I have not... Right before I am supposed to i Chicken out

What can I say that you do not already know. You have to believe in yourself enough to say "screw it" to the doubts and just go. I know whereof I speak. I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane about 18 months back. Not tandem. And solo'd tailwheel not long after. I am 60-years-old. Both times I had doubts and trepidation and both times did it anyway. Well, my skydiving instructor said he pushed me out but I was jumping so did not notice.

thanks for the advice!

Not quite sure what my fear is, I guess mostly it's just physicing myself out...

Welcome to POA.

Speaking as someone whom just recently soloed (2 weeks ago), I can totally understand your feelings. It is definitely a good feeling having your instructor next to you.

How confident do you feel with your instructor in the airplane? I would say if you feel confident and your instructor feels confident, you will surprise yourself in how well you will do once on your own. It honestly was an uneventful experience for me. I felt like my instructor was with me the entire time.

I just told myself, screw it. Its something I have to do, so lets get it over with. :) I had about 24 hours at that point. My guess is that with your amount of training, you will do your solo and say to yourself "That was easy. Next!!" Good luck!

I am ready for my check ride, but I am still anxious before each flight. I imagine I will always be anxious before each flight, primarily because I'm not wealthy and may never have the ability to fly so frequently that it becomes second nature like driving. But my anxiety is not borne of fear. It's more an emotion that arises because I am about to perform a challenging act that has an element of risk. Once I arrive at the airport and begin pre-flight, my anxiety dissipates as I focus on my tasks. It arises again briefly a bit before takeoff, and then is mostly gone again during the flight.

So I'd like to know a bit more about what you're feeling when you "chicken out." Depending on how you deal with emotion, it might make sense for you to spend some time trying to understand what it is you're feeling, why you're feeling it, and then making a concerted effort to rationalize that emotion. If it's fear you're feeling, what you'll probably find is that there's some element of irrationality to that fear, especially in light of the fact that your instructor(s?), who likely have many years of experience, have signed you off to solo and must feel confident in your abilities.

Perhaps you can redirect the fear into a different emotion. I consider my pre-flight anxiety to be healthy because it's not debilitating and keeps me cognizant of the fact that I'm about to do something that requires focus.

Then again, maybe you're the type of person that needs to avoid overthinking it. If your instructor says you're ready, maybe it's time to take a leap of faith.

Hey all,

Any advice?

I have almost 400 hours and I still get a little anxious flying alone, I seldom do it. Granted the friends that I take flying most of the time are not pilots so it might as well be solo. There's something about having another person in the airplane that's comforting. Do your best and try to get your mind set to just do 1 lap in the pattern without the instructor. You are going to really enjoy it and your going to surprise yourself. Best of luck to you.

Flying is about trust in your abilities and confidence. If after 100 hours you are not there I would say your money is better spent some place else.

Try just doing a series of simulated engine out landings with your CFI, to reinforce your skills in being able to handle the worst. Also, practice your go-arounds, which are easy of course. When you're ready, the CFI will be on the radio if you need them, which is unlikely.

thanks for the advice!

Not quite sure what my fear is, I guess mostly it's just physicing myself out...
You need to figure out what it is. Ask yourself what needs improving if you are to feel more confident... then talk to your CFI about it and go fix it together.
Or maybe its just jitters.
Whatever the case, I think that evryone here wl agree that even if you crap your pants from fear on that first solo takeoff, you will still be OK. You will fly that circuit, make a decent landing, and think "what the heck was I worried about?"

And later you will probably get the jitters again... if you havent flown in a while, or after a.checkout in something new to you. I felt it after a 4-year break from flying, then on my first tailwheel solo, then my first glider solo. I knew I was ready each time, but unless you're stupid or crazy, there will be at least a hint of nervousness. Ill never forget my first single-seat glider flight- now THAT'S something that will make any pilot a little anxious!:D
Remember, courage is not the absence of fear, its the process of overcoming fear. And a respect for the narrow margin in flying is healthy.
Like John Wayne said in The High and the Mighty when asked of he ever got scared flying.... "Every time!"

I'm sometimes nervous (particularly if conditions are a bit unusual) and always wary, but very seldom scared. There is a big difference between normal jitters that we all get (and it becomes worrisome when it's absent -- that's complacency) and real fear that prevents progress.

I second that a close inspection with a CFI is needed here, but I'll suggest that the best CFI for that may or may not be your current one. I'd talk to the chief instructor or some other highly experienced instructor.

thanks for the advice!

I disagree with trying to figure out where the fear is coming from. If you have already handled all your uncertainties regarding flying the airplane then you are ready to solo. End of story. I would not go delving to try to figure out some "why". That is a useless pursuit and a waste of time.

Try just doing a series of simulated engine out landings with your CFI, to reinforce your skills in being able to handle the worst. Also, practice your go-arounds, which are easy of course. When you're ready, the CFI will be on the radio if you need them, which is unlikely.

Doing those exercises with a different CFI as a sort of phase check, would be better than with the same one as now.

Back