First Solo! - 18 years after my first logbook entry

V1-Vr-V2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
V1-Vr-V2
8/17/95 is the first entry in my logbook, 1.0 hr intro flight around KGRI. I was 15 at the time and pursuing this crazy dream to be a pilot. But, life happened and flying had to take a back seat to other priorities. In total, I logged 8.6 hours that summer before hanging up the headset.

Fast forward to February 2002 and I logged another handful of hours at KLNK. At that time, I was a college sophomore and an aviation major and looking forward to a career behind a yoke. But, I would soon realize that in a post-9/11 world, my dream job might not be as much a dream as I had hoped. I changed majors, graduated with a business degree, and proceeded to not log any time for the next 11 years as life's priorities shifted and were reordered; jobs, girlfriends, which gave way to a wife, which led to kids, etc. etc.

Smash cut to March of this year and a Living Social deal for a local independent CFI with a pretty well equipped, "classic" PA-28-180 Cherokee pops up in my inbox. Now, compared to my college days, I had [slightly more] free time, [much more] disposable income, and a job that gave me the flexibility to take the required time off. So, with only moderate objection from the wife, I went for it.

And here I am - a few months later, the day after my first solo. In fact, I was "ready" for solo according to my CFI's signoff a month and a half ago but travel schedules and the ever-changing Colorado weather conspired against me on at least a half-dozen possible solo candidate days. So, instead of soloing where I typically would earlier on in training, we went the route of finishing most of my required training (dual XC - done, night flights - done, towered airports - done, IFR time - done, etc.) with the goal of getting the solo in when all forces aligned and I finally got a relatively nice day.

Well, that day was yesterday, 7/16/13. Yesterday's weather at KLMO wasn't perfect by any stretch but it wasn't bad either. The winds for runway 11 were at anywhere from 080° to 150° at calm to 10 knots, it was hot and bumpy as usual, and the density altitude was 7,800' but nevertheless, it was to be the day and I was ready for it.

I did a few performance takeoffs and landings with my instructor with varying degrees of success. Then, he got out and I was ready. Started up the GoPro to capture the event and triple checked the door (thanks to POA for instilling that routine), and off I went. In the video, you'll notice I forced myself to narrate throughout the flight hoping that it helps me keep the examiner in the loop during the checkride but also looking back, it should aid in figuring out what I was doing and when.

My First Solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1F6LK9l8I

The first landing was far from my best and *way* to the left of centerline due to poor compensation for wind drift. The subsequent two were slightly better but still not great. Regardless, I was giddy having finally passed this milestone. :yes: I loved how the "mighty" 180 hp Cherokee climbed with only one person onboard. I swear I saw 700 fpm at one point after departing - instead of our usual 300-400 fpm at 85.

Now, some solo XC time, review/study/review, and hopefully it'll be time to schedule the exams.

Bottom line: Thanks POA for being such a great resource!

~Trevor

994o.jpg

Last edited:
awesome, congrats!

I keep reading about solo's having to be full stops, is that just "in the books" and not always done? I've seen a lot of solo vids with TnG's.

Questions on your Video what setup did you use for voice recordings 2. where did you mount your Gopro you seem to have a very good view of the panel and outside I have a GoPro 2 which I recently picked up from Costco and fly/train in a C 172 any pictures of the setup would help !

awesome, congrats!

I keep reading about solo's having to be full stops, is that just "in the books" and not always done? I've seen a lot of solo vids with TnG's.

Some instructors ask you to do full stops. Antsy students have a history of botching touch N go's... trying to take off with full flaps for an example...

I think mine had me do one full stop on the first landing and then I could do TnG's if I wanted after that

Thanks all!

Questions on your Video what setup did you use for voice recordings 2. where did you mount your Gopro you seem to have a very good view of the panel and outside I have a GoPro 2 which I recently picked up from Costco and fly/train in a C 172 any pictures of the setup would help !

I don't have any pics of the setup but can get some later this week. In fact, the mounting location was somewhat of an experiment - when it came time to solo, my instructor got out and I swung around and slapped the GP suction mount to the side window, aimed it roughly where I thought I would get most of the action, and then taxiied to the active. It worked out, I guess. :)

Anyhow, I'm using a GP Hero 3 Black with the RAM suction cup mount (link) - which works phenomenally. The audio is being routed through an audio cable I purchased from Aircraft Spruce (link). However, had I of not just purchased it a month ago, I would have gone with this cable that should give you audio AND external power via USB. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1209966&postcount=14

Thanks for your comments!

Better late than never! Good luck finishing up this time around.

Very motivating sir! Congratulations on the ever so amazing student pilot milestone.

Congrats! My first logbook entry was in 1998, first solo in 2012... but I'm a lot older than you. Good job making it there a coupe of decades earlier in life!

Go Huskers!

Well done Trevor! Most of my first hours could have passed for simulated instrument as I wasn't big enough to see over the glare shield. Fantastic accomplishment my friend!

Thanks all - appreciate the well-wishes!

I went back up today for some more solo T&G's while my CFI supervised from the ground. This time I flew out of at Erie Airport (KEIK, runways 15/33). I hate to say it, but I think I've had any crosswind confidence I held before today's flight thoroughly dashed.

When I departed, winds were 010° at 5-9 knots - which was easily within my capabilities and indeed the first time around wasn't bad. But, by the time I was on final for my 3rd T&G on rwy 33 winds had picked up to 040° at 9 gusting 15. I'm glad I didn't have the GoPro running because it was not pretty! I went around the first attempt due to some nice gusts/sheer coming off of the nearby rising terrain. Then, the next (now 4th) time around, I held the centerline pretty well on final and had a decent touchdown but once I was on the ground, I drifted left by quite a bit, almost felt I was skidding that direction, sideloading the gear no doubt - I was no where near going off the pavement but it was dicey for a second or two there. Geez - was glad that was a full stop!

Once my CFI was aboard we tested it with a few 0° flap landings and it seemed to work much better - less lift, more weight on the wheels, less likely to float and skid with the wind. I know there's varying schools of thought on this (full flaps and as slow as you can go, or no flaps) but 0 flaps seemed to work much better for me. That said, surely there's some technique which I have not yet developed involved here, too. While there were a few moments of "concern" (I won't say "abject terror" but maybe close to bordering on it...), both the plane and I were unharmed and I feel slightly better prepared to handle a stiff x-wind. Anyhow, it was a fun, yet rough, morning!

Go Huskers!
You know it! - GBR!!! :)

Crosswind landings just take practice. You also won't get good at them until you've gotten really comfortable with flying the airplane. If you're at all uncertain, it gets a lot tougher when you're 10' off the ground and get a good stiff gust under a wing.

My x-wind landings pretty much sucked until one day it just kind of clicked. Once that happens a couple of times you gain confidence in your technique, and it gets a lot easier (meaning, they don't suck as much!) Still no guarantee of a greaser, but I remind myself that I've experienced some landings for which I would have apologized profusely... but I wasn't flying, the airline captain was. So nobody's perfect. :)

Hehehe.

Yes, while I was a student pilot, I took a SWA flight down to Burbank for work. The pilot PLANTED that aircraft, real flat and jarring-hard on that runway. I was tempted to ask the captain if he caught the third wire on that landing (but I didn't).

It sure made me feel better about my own landings.

Last edited:
Congrats!!! Such a great feeling soloing for the first time and no need to worry about the crosswind that will come with time and practice.

Back