First Sign Off

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
It's been a bit over a month since I passed my CFI check ride down at the FSDO. I haven't been actively recruiting students, mainly due to the lack of time that I have. There's one student in particular who it was important for me to see finish, though. This particular student has been working on his private for 5 years, with lots of stops and starts along the way. It didn't help that he lives in Michigan and keeps on coming out here to Pennsylvania for a few weeks at a time, without readily available instructors to fly with. He was rather discouraged about ever getting it done, and I really wanted to see him finish. It's not as if this is someone who was unqualified by any stretch of the imagination, he's exactly the sort of person we want to have flying planes.

When I got my CFI, we talked and agreed that we'd finish up his private. We had a good opportunity when he came out here for a two-week stretch. So last week and this week we were going at it pretty hard, flying as much as we could to polish up his maneuvers, make sure he fulfilled all requirements (they were all filled, I just needed to see what I needed to see to satisfy FAA regs and my personal comfort level before signing him off), and then fill out the paperwork. We had several nights of maneuver practice and general learning (with me asking him good oral questions the whole time), and on Tuesday we did a cross country down to Lancaster and back for dinner, and to get him some XC time and also some night flight time. Yesterday was the checkride day.

Amazingly, when I scheduled his checkride part of the day had to do with the availability of the plane we were using. Well, the weather gods smiled upon him that day, because yesterday was the best day of the week weather wise to do a check ride. Calm winds, high ceilings, high visibility. Perfect. I got to the airport at 9 with him to make sure one last time he had everything and see him off. I went over to the hangar, watched him take off, and then went on my way for my errands, waiting for him to call me to say he was finished. He was very nervous about the whole thing, but I had no doubts he would pass. This is the kind of student you always want - someone who appreciates constructive criticism, loves a challenge, and wants to do his best. That, plus the fact that the guy can really fly the plane quite well, I wasn't concerned.

The plan was for us to get lunch after to debrief and see how it all went. He called me several hours later and said "So where do pilots go to eat lunch?" The check ride went well, was much easier than he was expecting (which is what I told him it would be - he prepared himself well past the requirements of a private student), and he came away with that important piece of paper. Additionally, I have my first student who I've signed off.

This is my first private student who I've taught. Even though he came to me with a number of hours already and basically being ready for the check ride, it felt good to be able to give him some extra knowledge and skills during the course of my time training him that he didn't have previously. He had all the basics down just fine, but I was still able to coach him on some of his errors on maneuvers, and also some of the finer points of flying and things to think about in various conditions. If I've done my job, he's come away with having a better idea of the thought processes he'll need to be a safe pilot, and also come away with a renewed interest in aviation. From our conversation post-checkride yesterday, it seems I may have succeeded. :)

Congrats Ted, And I can attest that your student has the "ear to ear" grin on that marks a new pilot. : )

Congratulations! I admit that I don't know how you find any time to teach with all the irons you have in the fire!

Congrats to the both of you!

:cheers:

Oh, is he on PoA yet? I think that should be a requirement for all signoffs by PoA CFIs. They mandate that their students sign up for PoA! :)

Oh, is he on PoA yet? I think that should be a requirement for all signoffs by PoA CFIs. They mandate that their students sign up for PoA! :)
Good idea! I'm gonna add that to my lesson plans somewhere - mention internet resources and put POA up top.

Good idea! I'm gonna add that to my lesson plans somewhere - mention internet resources and put POA up top.
And have them get weather from JesseWeather (in addition to a standard briefing, of course!):yes:

Now that the first one is over, what did you learn? What would you do differently next time?
It's been a bit over a month since I passed my CFI check ride down at the FSDO. I haven't been actively recruiting students, mainly due to the lack of time that I have. There's one student in particular who it was important for me to see finish, though. This particular student has been working on his private for 5 years, with lots of stops and starts along the way. It didn't help that he lives in Michigan and keeps on coming out here to Pennsylvania for a few weeks at a time, without readily available instructors to fly with. He was rather discouraged about ever getting it done, and I really wanted to see him finish. It's not as if this is someone who was unqualified by any stretch of the imagination, he's exactly the sort of person we want to have flying planes.

When I got my CFI, we talked and agreed that we'd finish up his private. We had a good opportunity when he came out here for a two-week stretch. So last week and this week we were going at it pretty hard, flying as much as we could to polish up his maneuvers, make sure he fulfilled all requirements (they were all filled, I just needed to see what I needed to see to satisfy FAA regs and my personal comfort level before signing him off), and then fill out the paperwork. We had several nights of maneuver practice and general learning (with me asking him good oral questions the whole time), and on Tuesday we did a cross country down to Lancaster and back for dinner, and to get him some XC time and also some night flight time. Yesterday was the checkride day.

Amazingly, when I scheduled his checkride part of the day had to do with the availability of the plane we were using. Well, the weather gods smiled upon him that day, because yesterday was the best day of the week weather wise to do a check ride. Calm winds, high ceilings, high visibility. Perfect. I got to the airport at 9 with him to make sure one last time he had everything and see him off. I went over to the hangar, watched him take off, and then went on my way for my errands, waiting for him to call me to say he was finished. He was very nervous about the whole thing, but I had no doubts he would pass. This is the kind of student you always want - someone who appreciates constructive criticism, loves a challenge, and wants to do his best. That, plus the fact that the guy can really fly the plane quite well, I wasn't concerned.

The plan was for us to get lunch after to debrief and see how it all went. He called me several hours later and said "So where do pilots go to eat lunch?" The check ride went well, was much easier than he was expecting (which is what I told him it would be - he prepared himself well past the requirements of a private student), and he came away with that important piece of paper. Additionally, I have my first student who I've signed off.

This is my first private student who I've taught. Even though he came to me with a number of hours already and basically being ready for the check ride, it felt good to be able to give him some extra knowledge and skills during the course of my time training him that he didn't have previously. He had all the basics down just fine, but I was still able to coach him on some of his errors on maneuvers, and also some of the finer points of flying and things to think about in various conditions. If I've done my job, he's come away with having a better idea of the thought processes he'll need to be a safe pilot, and also come away with a renewed interest in aviation. From our conversation post-checkride yesterday, it seems I may have succeeded. :)

Congrats Ted, And I can attest that your student has the "ear to ear" grin on that marks a new pilot. : )

Good! He sure did yesterday. I bet today it's better now that the stress is gone from the checkride, and the reality that he's finally got his cert can set in.

I did, in fact, suggest he sign up. Don't know if he will or not since that's up to him, but I told him that it would be a good idea to.

Now that the first one is over, what did you learn? What would you do differently next time?

Lots. Let's see...

1) Don't sell myself short. I had figured going in that I wasn't goign to have much to teach him that would be useful given the fact he already had all these hours of training. It turned out I had a lot more to teach him than I thought.

2) Patience. Students take longer to do things than I do. Since I don't normally fly with low-hour people in new-to-them aircraft, I often forget that they take longer, as they should. There's a lot of little things that involve not actually being in the air that they need to learn, which takes time.

3) Wait longer for things to pan out before saying something. A lot of times I'd question him too soon on something, before then realizing he was doing something that there was nothing wrong with, it was just different than how I would do it (in some cases better technique than what I do). If I had just let it pan out, I would've seen he was doing something good and then could reinforce it.

There are more things, I'm sure, but those are the three that come to mind as most prevalent. I think that I did a pretty good job of figuring out what he needed and providing it to him (a lot of it was just the encouragement and push to get it done). The challenges I gave him would likely have been too much for some students, but I didn't see issues for him, and he said he was glad to get the experiences. So, that all seems to have worked out.

This student was also an easy one, and most of the work was done for me already. His previous instructors did teach him well, so I didn't have to break him of any bad habits. Also since we've known eachother for a few years, that made it easier.

Good critique. FWIW, I found that working with someone you know well is a mixed bag, probably requires a more deft touch than with some yo-yo who just shows up. Keep up the good work.

Good! He sure did yesterday. I bet today it's better now that the stress is gone from the checkride, and the reality that he's finally got his cert can set in.

I did, in fact, suggest he sign up. Don't know if he will or not since that's up to him, but I told him that it would be a good idea to.

Lots. Let's see...

1) Don't sell myself short. I had figured going in that I wasn't goign to have much to teach him that would be useful given the fact he already had all these hours of training. It turned out I had a lot more to teach him than I thought.

2) Patience. Students take longer to do things than I do. Since I don't normally fly with low-hour people in new-to-them aircraft, I often forget that they take longer, as they should. There's a lot of little things that involve not actually being in the air that they need to learn, which takes time.

3) Wait longer for things to pan out before saying something. A lot of times I'd question him too soon on something, before then realizing he was doing something that there was nothing wrong with, it was just different than how I would do it (in some cases better technique than what I do). If I had just let it pan out, I would've seen he was doing something good and then could reinforce it.

There are more things, I'm sure, but those are the three that come to mind as most prevalent. I think that I did a pretty good job of figuring out what he needed and providing it to him (a lot of it was just the encouragement and push to get it done). The challenges I gave him would likely have been too much for some students, but I didn't see issues for him, and he said he was glad to get the experiences. So, that all seems to have worked out.

This student was also an easy one, and most of the work was done for me already. His previous instructors did teach him well, so I didn't have to break him of any bad habits. Also since we've known eachother for a few years, that made it easier.

CONGRATULATIONS TED!!!
You are the kind of Instructor that any student would want to have teach he/she the fine art of flight!
(you got that CFII yet? need a student for the IR?)
hmmm let see: POU dir LHY dir FQM dir IPT see you in 1:42...I need to add Pennsylvania to my map!!

I'm working on the CFII, I'm hoping to get the MEI and CFII done by the end of the year. As to students, yep, definitely need them. Once I get my CFII you can come out here and we'll get you going. In the mean time, start building those XC hours!

Also, you're welcome to come out any time if you just want to visit.

Hello all! I'm the new pilot in question.​

I do thank Ted for that final friendly push to finish things off - I had been getting a bit discouraged after such a long path to the cert! I can freely say though that Ted gave me a good experience - he had a good grasp of quickly noting those inevitable "bad habits" that we pick up - and giving good advice on how to work through them. I can also credit him with challenging me with my first instrument approach and the most challenging crosswind landing I've yet had to do on the infamous KIPT rwy 9 with winds from the southeast (and at night!).​

I must say I'm humbled by Ted's assessment of my abilities...I still figure I've a long way to go, but that is indeed one good feeling to have finally finished the first step.​

-Allan W.​
PP-ASEL​

Last edited:
Glad to see you on here, Allan! Welcome!

We all have a long way to go. I try to make sure I learn at least one new thing every time I fly.

CONGRATULATIONS TED!!!
You are the kind of Instructor that any student would want to have teach he/she the fine art of flight!
(you got that CFII yet? need a student for the IR?)
hmmm let see: POU dir LHY dir FQM dir IPT see you in 1:42...I need to add Pennsylvania to my map!!

The IR line starts behind me. :blowingkisses:

Go Allan! It's good to see you Finish up.

The best pilots never think they know enough and always keep learning but other people think they are a good pilot (much to their amazement). That you feel you still have much to learn just proves that you area as good as Ted assess. ; )

I'm working on the CFII, I'm hoping to get the MEI and CFII done by the end of the year. As to students, yep, definitely need them. Once I get my CFII you can come out here and we'll get you going. In the mean time, start building those XC hours! Also, you're welcome to come out any time if you just want to visit.

Still need to get signed off for my Instrument check ride.....where is the line forming???

Congrats to both of you! Nice write up Ted! Great job flying Allan!

Shoot Ted, I can't believe I missed this. Congratulations!!!!! That's a real thrill for a CFI I'd bet. Way to go.

Welcome to the club, Ted. NOW you're a CFI.

You listen well; therein lie the makings of a good teacher (as opposed to instructor! ).

Back