First renewal after DUI

U

Unregistered

Sorry for asking another DUI question, but this process is very confusing.

Background: received a DUI 3 years ago, BAC was .17. Reported to the FAA and they requested court records, police report, personal statement, and alcohol evaluation. I provided all that and received a letter back stating "Our review of your medical records has established that you are eligible for a third-class medical certificate. The certificate you now hold is valid until the normal date of expiration"

Questions:

1.) I need to renew in the spring. Do I write "previously reported no change" in 18v, or do I need to start from scratch with my AME? My confusion is that if I report it as new, my AME will have to defer to the FAA (BAC > 1.5), and the FAA has already reviewed all of this information determined I was eligible.

2.) If I to report to my AME, do I need to go get yet another "fresh" alcohol evaluation or can I just give him a copy of the all the information I reported to the FAA already. If I need a new one, I guess I should just go get it and bring it with me?

3.) My medical is good until May, is there anything I should be aware of if I start the renewal process in January? For example, if my new medical is deferred, does that invalid my current medical that's good until May? I'm working on my instrument rating so I want to avoid any lapses if at all possible.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Sorry for asking another DUI question, but this process is very confusing.

Background: received a DUI 3 years ago, BAC was .17. Reported to the FAA and they requested court records, police report, personal statement, and alcohol evaluation. I provided all that and received a letter back stating "Our review of your medical records has established that you are eligible for a third-class medical certificate. The certificate you now hold is valid until the normal date of expiration"

Questions:

1.) I need to renew in the spring. Do I write "previously reported no change" in 18v, or do I need to start from scratch with my AME? My confusion is that if I report it as new, my AME will have to defer to the FAA (BAC > 1.5), and the FAA has already reviewed all of this information determined I was eligible.

2.) If I to report to my AME, do I need to go get yet another "fresh" alcohol evaluation or can I just give him a copy of the all the information I reported to the FAA already. If I need a new one, I guess I should just go get it and bring it with me?

3.) My medical is good until May, is there anything I should be aware of if I start the renewal process in January? For example, if my new medical is deferred, does that invalid my current medical that's good until May? I'm working on my instrument rating so I want to avoid any lapses if at all possible.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Number 1

Since "Number 1" has two different options, I think more clarity is needed. My gut feel is "PRNC" will be sufficient, but I'd still recommend contacting an expert on the issue like Bruce Chien before you hit the MedExpress "submit" button. He can be reached on the AOPA Forums or his web site.

Thanks Ron, I will repost over there. I didn't realize Dr Bruce wasn't on this forum anymore.

Check with Bruce or another AME, but if you have only reported to FAA Security, even if you subsequently got a letter from Aeromedical, you have not reported it yet in a full medical so it is not PRNC and needs to be reported fully at this next medical.

In case anyone finds this later, the advice I received (your situation may be different) was to check yes for 18v, comment: "See eligibility letter dated xx/xx/xxxx", and bring the letter I quoted above to my appointment.

Hopefully that will be the end of it and I can finally put this behind me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back