First real cross country with the family

Thanks guys! Yeah, planning on KLMO at this point. I have family I'll be seeing Ft. Collins after a few days in Estes Park but it makes more sense to fly in and out of KLMO since Highway 34 is closed. Looking at arriving on Thursday morning to find a rental car to move up into the hills.

Colorado is a VERY easy flight from Kansas City. I go to Colorado Springs at least once a year, and have been up to Denver a few times. It shouldn't be as big of a deal in May, but it can get really bumpy out (constant light to moderate chop) there in the summer in the early afternoon. And until you get further east (probably east of Hays), you won't be able to climb above the turbulence unless you've got a turbo and oxygen. Just something to be aware of with the passengers. From a flight planning perspective, expect to lose radar coverage a little past Hays unless you can be above 10,000 (and even then it's a little sketchy).

You'll be fine.

Wrong! This flight is not about YOU (the OP), it is about the passengers. Your enjoyment of the privilege of flying will be much better if your family enjoys it, too. So start with local flights, fly high, hit the local burger joint, choose weather carefully, etc. to gradually break them in to the pleasures of flying.

WE used to hop in and do quick runs for food but now we do 2-6 hours and actually go somewhere. Freaking awesome! ENJOY IT!!

It is awesome. But you are describing what I suggest - do some local hops first.

-Skip

I'm naturally a very cautious flyer and tend to push my boundaries at a slow pace. My wife and kids (5 and 2 1/2 yrs old) are contemplating a trip to the Black Hills and then down to Ft. Collins to see family from the home base at New Century KIXD (South of KC). It's a 10.5 hour drive not including fuel/potty/food stops. To fly it in the club 172 is shy of 5 hours in the air with a fuel stop somewhere in Nebraska.

My wife (who has never flown GA) is intrigued by the idea of cutting our long road trip in half. She's slightly apprehensive but finally seems open to the idea of flying with me. My 5 year-old has flown with me maybe 5 times and does well apart from occasionally complaining of 'sky sickness' as she calls it. The little one hasn't flown with me yet.

This would also be my longest solo XC. I've flown a couple 250nm flights but those were dual.

So, I've got a few butterflies about the trip. I feel confident in my flying, planning, safety margin (we'll be close to gross weight) that I think I can handle the airplane part of the trip. My concern is managing PAX and managing the responsibility to having all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I would be expanding my margins in that I'd be flying my longest XC and with a plane full of my family.

Am I being too ambitious?

A bit about me:
I'm a PPL Instrument Rated
147 hours
11 hours in the past 6 months
Last flight was 10 days ago
IR & Night current

Be aware of density altitudes and have fun.

Thanks guys! Yeah, planning on KLMO at this point. I have family I'll be seeing Ft. Collins after a few days in Estes Park but it makes more sense to fly in and out of KLMO since Highway 34 is closed. Looking at arriving on Thursday morning to find a rental car to move up into the hills.

Call the folks at LMO now and let them work magic.
303-774-8081

Should have come in yesterday (wed). Vance Brand spoke at Vance Brand airport. Well, really at the museum in town.

Call the folks at LMO now and let them work magic.
303-774-8081

Should have come in yesterday (wed). Vance Brand spoke at Vance Brand airport. Well, really at the museum in town.

Will do, I've read much of this thread to my wife and she likes a lot of the suggestions. Hopefully her nerve holds and we can make the flight...

Go for it. Even if you make 3 stops and it takes 12 hours.... it'll be an experience. "Remember that time we flew to...."

THAT is the good stuff

Agree completely about managing expectations. Every time we try a trip like this, my wife is ready to go at 08:00:00.00 and gets impatient when I have to call for the fuel truck or wait for ceilings. Should have seen her face when I flooded the warm Arrow engine and had to wait an hour.

Also, do some planning around W&B. Kids are light but gear, clothes, food, electronics, all the kid supporting hardware adds weight and space, particularly aft of the datum.

Hope you have a great time! I remember the maneuvers posting and glad you are planning this trip.

I'm naturally a very cautious flyer and tend to push my boundaries at a slow pace. My wife and kids (5 and 2 1/2 yrs old) are contemplating a trip to the Black Hills and then down to Ft. Collins to see family from the home base at New Century KIXD (South of KC). It's a 10.5 hour drive not including fuel/potty/food stops. To fly it in the club 172 is shy of 5 hours in the air with a fuel stop somewhere in Nebraska.

That's too long for your first trip with all aboard. If someone gets sick in the first 30 minutes they are going to be miserable the next 4.5 hours. Baby steps.

Back