First Plane

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
What was your first plane and what did you do with it? (Paint job, interior, avionics?). And post pictures!! Would love to see them and hear your story!

134028.jpg

I bought a VFR bird, I flew the hell out of it. I performed minimal maintenance as required by annuals plus a new battery and IRAN starter. I flew it 880 hrs and sold it.

Every annual I have about 1000-1200 set aside for the annual and if it came in cheap then I would pick one or two accessories to IRAN. Within 3 years I had IRAN'd or replaced new: both mags, starter, alternator, carburetor, spark plugs and 3 of 4 cylinders. I had a friend give me free a brand new upholstery job for allowing him to use the plane one summer to get his PPL.

I held very firm to the rule buy what you want and live with it. Do not had fancy crap that you will not net 10 cents on the dollar for. If you do not like the plane as it sits then do no buy it. Buy the one you like.

I sold the plane for a very small depreciation after keeping it nearly 10 years and without putting a huge pot of money into.

When I wanted another plane I bought it with what I wanted on it, I made a very minor improvement to make it IFR capable (spent less than 5% of cost of plane) and fly it like I bought it. First three years I went through it the same way putting a Top overhead and IRAN accessories and new hoses and trust it to fly over mountains, night, and water....

I am deciding now if I am keeping this plane for the remainder of my aviation years or if I am going to get a twin. I might get a plane with auto pilot the next time around otherwise I am very happy.

At 175 knots on 15 gph it is not likely I would gain much more performance with a twin it would be only for personal growth of logging 500 multi engine hours or were I to get a CFI multi and ever want to train in it.

I once made a spread sheet of the actual costs of all the mods that I wanted on my bird some day and it came up to be $150k on a $69k bird and it is doubtful I could sell the plane for more than $80k with all the mods and total investment of $219,900. So I decided that performing mods is not the way to go.

Buy a plane, make it as safe as it can be and fly it. The plane will tell you what maintenance it needs.

On the other hand if your dad is a millionaire or you have stolen untaxed money that no one should ever know you had, then you can pour it into a big black hole called aviation upgrades, enjoy those fruits of your deed some what but have nothing to show for it when you sell it.

Or if you are a LasVegas Junkie trying ot kick the habit you can probably be better off moding your plane so long as you do not use it to get to vegas faster.

What was your first plane and what did you do with it? (Paint job, interior, avionics?). And post pictures!! Would love to see them and hear your story!

Attachments

• N6496R.jpg
    N6496R.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
4 place taldragger, built hours in her, now I fly other peoples planes for work so I don't get to fly her as much, still have the plane doubt Ill sell as she fits my personal flying mission great.

As for stuff Ive done, I put a new carb on (not needed, but made me feel better), new exhaust system (also not needed, just looking shabby for a spit and shine job), new airbox.. that was needed.

Had the plane for 5 years, average annual runs 500-700 bucks.

1958 Beech Travelair with twin turbo normalized O-360s. It had 2 KX 165s, a King DME and an old ADF and Transponder. When I bought it it had an old 'shotgun' panel with AN gyros that I replaced with a modern 6 pack and an HSI. Interior was decent, the paint was average. It was a really good plane that would out run a Baron above 12,500'.

My first 'plane' was a Benson gyrocopter(google it). I didn't die in it, but realized the limitations rather quick. Moved up to a Citabria 8KCAB(decathlon with 150HP). I learned to fly in that and on my check ride we did some rolls on the way back to the airport with the examiner(yes, we had chutes, yes we check the pack date, yes I did clearing turns, yes, she was a cool examiner). I flew that for about 2 years, did acro, towed banners, towed gliders, had a ball, and sold it to buy a house. The plane depreciated rapidly, and the house appreciated very rapidly. I went partner in a Grumman AA-5, and flew that for a few years, but as I was the only partner who knew how to do mx, I was constantly doing all the little jobs that a plane needs, but not getting paid for them. I owned a Vari-EZE for a while, but only flew it a few times. It was not built real well and I didn't trust it a lot, so I spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I sold that to a lady in SFO area, and she eventually parted it out.

The one I own now: Mooney M20J.

Does most of what I want out of an airplane, although I do jones for a fairly inexpensive gentlemans aerobat like a Citabria. Probably won't happen I'm too cheap to buy a second plane.

Didn't you fix the 150 ?

It's fixed. Insurance covered the boo-boo, and I had some other things taken care of. But due to weather, work, and life, I haven't had a chance to fly for the past few months. And it looks like this weekend's weather won't cooperate, either.

Bought a Cherokee 180. Finished my PPL, did some IR training in it, used it for 7-8 years for fun hops and a few cross country trips. I replaced an old Narco radio with a 430 and dropped the KX155 down for the second radio. Needed an interior when I bought it, never replaced it.

As the time available for the fun hops went to other interests and it wasn't getting used enough, I donated it to an aviation maintenance college for them to use in a flying club for their students.

Attachments

• PickingUp01R-b.jpg
    PickingUp01R-b.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
A 172 ,put on flap gap seals,fixed the wing levelor,wheel pants all around,external antena for hand held,changed gas caps.

Uh, oh: Illegal compensation?

I do not think so, not for me anyway....:) As for him he was close enough to be family. He went on to be a non equity partner in the airplane for 3 years spiting expenses.

brings up a good point....how could it be compensation to him to use my plane free but pay his own fuel when he did nothing for me in return?

Wouldn't aviation be much better if everyone with a trainer appropriate plane got at least one person not otherwise enveloped in flying to fly by using their airplane free for 3 months to get their ppl?

I think FAA really does want to shut down little guys in aviation or starve them out...with stupid rules and interpretations.

Luscombe 8E.

Replaced the skin. Rebuilt the engine, accessories and instruments. Replaced control cables and pulleys, tires, interior, windows, lights, electrical system, hardware, radio, hoses, baffling, you know, stuff. Added strobes, intercom, wheel pants, transponder and encoder. Can't think of anything else.

Scott

My 182rg. I did my instrument, commercial and CFI in it. As far as major upgrades we decided to leave the avionics alone (430 and mx20 with HSI) and we did the interior just last month. We ditched the tacky, original 1980 bright red carpet and put in black. The red seats are now tan (and I have a matching pillow!), the red door panels are tan amd we have headrests. It's beautiful and its really the only thing we wanted to do. And Rosen visors. Oh my sweet Rosen visors.

Other than that just regular mx. Mags got rebuilt per an ad. New tires. New shimmy dampened. Just stuff like that. I don't want to sell my baby for a long time.

Back