First one to the punch - Santa's Checkride

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Hahahahahahaha - you all know this one anyway, just being the first smartalek to post it ... sorta

Santa...
Checkride
Examiner
Shotgun
"You're gonna lose an engine on takeoff"

Seven? How do you figure. There are 10 to start with.

Dasher
Dancer
Prancer
Vixen
Comet
Cupid
Donder
Blitzen
Rudolph
Olive

And besides, he only uses Rudolf for IFR navigation...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227173/
Olive, the Other Reindeer

After mis-hearing a radio broadcast about Santa canceling his Christmas trip due to an injured reindeer, Olive the dog decides to travel to the North Pole and volunteer to be a replacement. Unfortunately, Olive must deal with an evil postman who's tired of handling all the extra Christmas mail. Will Martini the penguin be able to help Olive realize her dream?

LOL :rofl:

"...Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names ..."

Oh my God; I've been Ibolded:eek:

Olive anything like 'all of ' ?

Kind of reminds me of my niece reciting the ABCs when she was younger: LMNOP was one word !

Best,

Dave

Seven? How do you figure. There are 10 to start with.

Dasher
Dancer
Prancer
Vixen
Comet
Cupid
Donder
Blitzen
Rudolph
Olive

From the poem "The Night Before Christmas" which claims the sleigh is drawn by eight tiny reindeer, and that doesn't include Rudoph.

Still I suppose Santa's answer would have to cover if the eighth reindeer was dead and hanging in his harness as drag, or suddenly separated from his harness and took off on his own to get a Veggieburger and a Moosehead. The latter would be pretty simple, since it would just be a matter of reduced power. The matter of a dead reindeer would depend on if there was an emergency harness separation feature, or if the other reindeer alongside was trained to manipulate some sort of release mechanism, or if Santa needed to climb precariously like those old movies with runaway stagecoaches and cut the harness, releasing the dead reindeer before disaster claimed them.

The matter of a dead reindeer would depend on if there was an emergency harness separation feature, or if the other reindeer alongside was trained to manipulate some sort of release mechanism, or if Santa needed to climb precariously like those old movies with runaway stagecoaches and cut the harness, releasing the dead reindeer before disaster claimed them.
Wouldn't have happened if he'd operated the reindeer lean of peak hay and had a GRM (graphic reindeer monitor). ;)

-- Pilawt

By the way, the correct spelling is:

Donner

not Donder.

Blitzen=lightning :lightning: , Donner=thunder.

Let's get it right, people ;)

Ken:

You R E A L L Y need to find a good plane and start building some time in it :yes:

You have toooo much free time :p

Best,

Dave

I swear I haven't been drinking, but what the heck is going on in the first post??

The matter of a dead reindeer would depend on if there was an emergency harness separation feature, or if the other reindeer alongside was trained to manipulate some sort of release mechanism, or if Santa needed to climb precariously like those old movies with runaway stagecoaches and cut the harness, releasing the dead reindeer before disaster claimed them.

Nah, I think those reindeer are equipped with auto-feather.

By the way, the correct spelling is:

Donner

not Donder.

Blitzen=lightning :lightning: , Donner=thunder.

Let's get it right, people ;)

The eight reindeer names first appeared in the famous poen my Clement Clarke Morre ure in 1823 titled, "A Visit from St. Nicholas" , The poular title is 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. You can read the entire poem at the link above.

But this quote form the poem is what I wish to bring to your attention:
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came, And he whistled and shouted, and called them by name; "Now, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now Prancer and Vixen! On, Comet! On, Cupid! On, Donder,and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall! Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

Doing some research on this I found out this little nugget

[FONT=&quot]In the initial publication of the poem, Santa's last two reindeer were called "Dunder and Blixem" (1). Later publications show the names "Donder and Blitzen"(2). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martin Gardner, editor of The Annotated Night Before Christmas, points to a handwritten[/FONT][FONT=&quot]copy of the poem, written by Moore in the year before he died, in which he calls the reindeer "Donder and Blitzen" (3). It is clear that Moore himself wanted the reindeer named Donder and Blitzen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One hundred and sixteen years after Clement Clark Moore first named the reindeer, the name "Donner" replaced "Donder" in the publication of the 1939 story book Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] written by Robert L. May(4). A decade after the book was published "Donner" was further cemented into American consciousness when Gene Autry recorded Johnny Mark's song Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Donner" is Thunder [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and "Blitzen" is Lightning [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in German. So, I understand how the mistake occurred. Nevertheless, the poem was readily available to refer to in libraries across the country. Shame on Mr. May and Mr. Marks for not doing their research properly before publishing their work. What right had they to change an American classic?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
  1. "Account of a Visit from Saint Nicholas", Troy Sentinel, Troy, New York (23 December, 1823)
  2. "A Visit from St. Nicholas" by Clement C. Moore, LL.D., published by Spalding & Shepard, New York (1849) now in the Rare Book Division of the New York Public Library
  3. "Corrections Roll In Like a Clap of Donder", by Guy Gugliotta, Washington Post (11 January, 1994).
  4. "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" by Robert L. May, published by Modern Curriculum Press (1939).
Ken is right.

Back