First off-airport landing today! Yesssssss!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I flew today with a CFI for the first time since I got my PP-RH, to work on a couple of things. We then flew to a couple of acre field surrounded by trees and he had me set up an approach and land there.

The field was big enough that it didn't call for a real steep approach, and I came in and brought the helicopter to a hover. He had me taxi back to the other side (approach side) of the field and then take off with a steeper than normal profile -- maybe midway between a normal t/o and a max performance t/o. A bit of a right turn to where the trees are a little lower, and we're outta there!

What a hoot! Can we do it again? Huh? Can we, can we? Please?

My CFI, who is also one of my partners in the R22, is a retired Huey pilot, and I have the suspicion he likes fields better than airports. And oh yes, he's helping me expand my envelope!

Damn, helos are fun!

I'll have to check with my neighbors, but you could pick me up at my house back in PA. Plenty of room. Now, that would be cool.

If I had a helo and could actually fly it, my goal would be to never use a car again! Can't get their by helo, can't go, sorry. :)

Ron Levy said:
The title almost stopped my heart until I saw who posted it.
Sorry about that, Ron. If it had been in the PA28, the title might have been:

First off-airport landing today - Arrrgggggghhhhh

Or worse. No way I could have landed a Cherokee there :no:

RotaryWingBob said:
I flew today with a CFI for the first time since I got my PP-RH, to work on a couple of things. We then flew to a couple of acre field surrounded by trees and he had me set up an approach and land there.

The field was big enough that it didn't call for a real steep approach, and I came in and brought the helicopter to a hover. He had me taxi back to the other side (approach side) of the field and then take off with a steeper than normal profile -- maybe midway between a normal t/o and a max performance t/o. A bit of a right turn to where the trees are a little lower, and we're outta there!

What a hoot! Can we do it again? Huh? Can we, can we? Please?

My CFI, who is also one of my partners in the R22, is a retired Huey pilot, and I have the suspicion he likes fields better than airports. And oh yes, he's helping me expand my envelope!

Damn, helos are fun!

Ha! Great story.

Definitely, some of the most fun you can have in a helo is to find a field somewhere and put 'er down.

One of my best rotor memories: flying with my buddy Markus in his 206 to Alabama for a timber survey job. Somewhere on the way up, we saw the slickest little clearing you'd ever see, with dense trees surrounding a small hilltop. We snuck that 206 in there just as neatly as you'd please, shut down, pulled out the sandwiches and sodas my wife had packed for us, and had a nice little picnic.

Wow, that's really cool Bob.

Now THATS why I want a helo rating.

My parents have 14 acres in Bucks county including a couple of open fields. If I had a PP-RH I could just drop in for lunch.

:heli:

Nav8tor said:
Wow, that's really cool Bob.

Now THATS why I want a helo rating.

My parents have 14 acres in Bucks county including a couple of open fields. If I had a PP-RH I could just drop in for lunch.

:heli:
Heck, I'll pick you up and we can both have lunch :yes:

Bonanza said:
Off airport landings can be fun.
Stephen

Here's a shot of an OH-6A I delivered to San Juan, PR from Florida. It's sitting on one of the thousands of small islands which make up the Exumas chain in the Bahamas. The cameraman (me!) is standing on the opposite "shore." Very small island. :)

exuma_2.jpg

Beach landings are fun too.
This one was my Notar at Poison Bay, Fiordland on South Island of New Zealand. It is only accessible by boat or air and rains about 300 days a year. Great for fishing but take the insect repellant.
Stephen.

Last edited:
Way to go Bob. That's what the PPL(H) is all about.:yes:
Ryan, do you still have the web site up with details about the ferry trip? If so could you re-post a link.
Thanks Chris

Ryan, I just spent an hour perusing your website. I have decided your awesome page is worthy of a bookmark. It is a great page for so many reasons an I can see myself referring to your page often.

Richard said:
Ryan, I just spent an hour perusing your website. I have decided your awesome page is worthy of a bookmark. It is a great page for so many reasons an I can see myself referring to your page often.

The check is in the mail!!

:)

Glad you like it, and thanks.

Made 3 off-airport landings in a half-hour after work:)

Bob;

I love the story; Having rode in a few Hueys as a "passenger" my first airport landing was in a R22 in the late 1980s. I was amazed for all of my Helo flights/rides were off airport. My first Helo Ride was in a Bell 47. I hate to tell the year (1961) as a helper on laying irrigation pipe.

Thanks for sharing for I do want to take some lessons soon to learn to fly a Helo.

John J

Back