...first night flight with PPL...lots of learning experiences...

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
Well, it wasn't necessarily intended to be a night flight...but thankfully I had gone up with my CFI a couple weeks ago to get night current since I hadn't flown at night since we did the night XC back in May.

I took my brother in law over to Galveston, TX (from Austin, TX) for some beachy golf and seafood. On the way out I got to call Flight Watch for the first time ever - we never even did it when I was in training. It was pretty cool. When we got off from KGTU I could immediately see a layer over the Houston area that was pretty low and stretched for miles out towards the coast. Of course, I had done all my homework and knew that there was going to be some low stuff lingering around until around 11AM (which was about an hour from then...ETA to destination was 1.5 hours). Flight Watch was awesome...reassured me that the weather would be fine (it was already fine...just would get better by the time I got there).

I had told Austin Approach that I was going to go off frequency to talk to Flight Watch and called back in when I switched back. He welcomed me back with no additional info. We're flying along and I'm looking down at my chart and realize we're about 20 miles from the Houston Class B. In my previous flight to KGLS, Austin approach handed me off much earlier. So, I called him and asked, "Austin Approach...Cherokee 13W...did I miss a radio call to switch to Houston?" He said, "Yes, I've been trying to get a hold of you...they know you're coming...frequency change approved...". That was odd - we had comms going full time in the headset and never once heard them calling for us. Good lesson to learn - just because you're on flight following don't hang around and count on them to tell you what's going on - know where you are and what SHOULD be happening...jump on and ask what's going on if something's not right.

By the time we got to KGLS though the winds were well above what the METAR's had shown me. On final I was dealing with a 15 knot / 25 knot gusting (and it was gusty!) wind that was one of the fiercest I've encountered. Even the Houston Approach controller when handing me off and giving me the current conditions said, "Well, it's pretty windy down there...". For him to say that I knew we were going to get a ride coming in. Wind was from 220 and I was landing on 17...so, that was fun. I've flown out to KGLS before (in fact it was my first XC as a PPL) and it was ocean breezy but nothing like this. I got her down with no issues - wasn't the prettiest landing - but my brother in law, who was on his very first flight in a GA plane commented that it was a great landing. So, I'll take it. :)

We didn't get off until a little after 5pm and the winds had changed a bit so Houston Approach sent us a good 15 miles south and out of our way to make room for Houston Hobby traffic. We were also fighting the 20 knot headwind that we enjoyed on the way out.

So, it was a longer flight than expected but absolutely gorgeous. Never seen a sunset like this from the air. I was glad I had my good camera with me in my bag and remembered to pull it out to snap a picture. I couldn't help but keep repeating to myself, "Man, this is why we fly...".

As you all know, this picture doesn't even come close to doing the full view justice but it was a pretty fantastic end to a great flight with a lot of new learning experiences.

Attachments

• DSC_1659.jpg
    DSC_1659.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
...great post. I enjoyed reading yours as well. I'm also probably a little too cautious with weather at this point. I know I'll eventually start working my way into days that aren't sunny with broken layers at 25,000 feet. :) I did learn to fly in central Texas during the winter and spring so I had plenty of wind and flew on some pretty crappy days...but it's just not the same when you have your CFI sitting next to you knowing he can bail us out of anything we get ourselves into.

I just need to have him ready on some MVFR days at my home base and do some flying around and get his input on what to do. I've cancelled a couple trips already that I'm 99% sure I could have gotten out and where I was going (and the entire route except pretty much right over my airport) was crystal clear.

I'm with you though - with my family at this point I just don't take any chances at all. It's clear blue sky if I'm taking them up right now...

Good read.

I for whatever reason seem to be flying at night a lot. Well, obviously, the sun sets early now and daylight savings time. Initially I was scared to death to fly at night but it doesn't bother me too much. I do have this constant voice in my head telling me "If your engine died now you'd be so screwed"

We did our trip from Dallas to Fredricksberg late at night and I zigzagged from airport to airport all the way down so I woild have some shot at a landing spot. Also tried to keep close to I-35 when possible.

At any rate, I enjoy the night stuff now. And I am with you on the photos. I always carry my camera bag. And I am always saying "the photo doesn't do it justice"

Our next XC is Tulsa next weekend but next time we head south, I will look you up and we can grab a bite and shoot the breeze about this crazy journey.

Looks like you are having a ton of fun.

Please do! Would love to meet up somewhere...

I absolutely LOVE flying at night...but I'm right there with you. Can't help but think that if things start going bad it's probably not going to be pretty. When it starts getting dark, I'm on my map and always know the closest strip to me and find myself kinda pointing toward it a little. I breathe a little easier once I can see the beacon and know I could make that one if anything happened...then stress out a bit until I can see the next one.

I still haven't been over to Stephenville for BBQ. I'd love to do that. I've been to Llano, Brenham and F'Burg multiple times now. Not sure what else is around to fly-in/eat.

My next scheduled XC is up to Dallas Executive (just SW of downtown) on the 28th to see a hockey game (Stars vs Blues) with my Dad when he's in town for the holidays. The game is at 5pm so my plan (weather permitting of course) is to fly up for the game and then head back home around 9pm or so when it's over. Pretty cool to think of doing that - no way I'd attempt to drive up there and back in the same day. (3 hours or so each way).

Anyway, look forward to meeting soon...

Great work and great picture. I wish I had a good camera flying a few nights ago, sunset and city lights. It was glorious.

If you keep flying at night you might find you prefer it. Smooth air, less winds, better performance. My favorite flights are like the one you did. Daytime down, nighttime back.

I couldn't help but keep repeating to myself, "Man, this is why we fly...".

I've got about 350 hours and have been flying for about 3 years now and I still catch myself saying that all the time. Hopefully you'll continue doing and seeing things that make you say or think that.

Llano is nice (cheap gas)
Let me know (sometime after the holidays) if you want to meet at Stephenville.
We fly there for BBQ from time to time.

And here is one of my favorite "Photo doesn't come close to how it really looked" pictures:

1013975_10201656644764841_1850129489_n.jpg

wow man - that is insane. My bro-in-law just kept saying, "Wow..." the whole flight. It was awesome. The wind was still from the south when we left KGLS so I extended the climb out and flew a few miles out over the coast before turning around and heading back home into the sunset. It was awesome to just watch it go down the whole way back...pretty amazing.

Lemme know what works for you - weather around here is going to be pretty crappy on and off again for awhile...but I'm ready to go anytime. :)

Last edited:
Back