First landing in a Float Plane

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Gang
My wife's office had a 4th of July party and at was at the local lake. Her Boss is also a pilot who happens to own a Cub on floats. So off to the lake we go, and Sean tells me to hop in the front seat.

He hand props the cub and we taxi out to the end of the lake. After takeoff we fly to a bigger lake not too far away, and he says you want to land this bird. Of course I said yes and we talked about what to expect on landing. We touch down with the nose up and as soon as I felt the floats hit the surface I gently pulled the stick all the way back.

Great landing he tells me now lets take off from right here. I feel the floats go up on step and then pop off the water. I give it a little foward stick to build up some air speed and then climb out. I went around 2 more time's then we headed back to the party. Man did that ever put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Regards Mike

Man did that ever put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

IME, it's nearly impossible to land or take off in a sea plane on the water without breaking out in a grin (possible exception being landing an amphib with the wheels down).

Almost better than sex

Almost better than sex
now THERE'S a lead-in!

Top 10 Reasons why landing on floats is better than sex...

10. If you can't read the surface conditions, you can always go around again.

now THERE'S a lead-in!

Top 10 Reasons why landing on floats is better than sex...

10. If you can't read the surface conditions, you can always go around again.
9. A good Navy pilot always takes a visual. Using ACLS is the chicken's way out.

Mike, Congratulations on the experience!

9. A good Navy pilot always takes a visual. Using ACLS is the chicken's way out.

Mike, Congratulations on the experience!
Thanks Fred
I think I will now have to take some time this summer and plan a week in Cadillac MI for a float plane rating.

Regards Mike

8. Your home lake doesn't get jealous if you put your equipment down in another lake. :)

Congrats... that sounds like an awesome experience.

Back