First IFR lesson

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
My call to wx-brief was pretty quick. Both the briefer and I knew the wind was gusting too much for any kind of a training flight. My last couple of flights have been cancelled due to weather and now I can't even remember when I flew last.

I gathered up a bag full of books to show Andy what I have available. About 5 or 6 FAA manuals from when Hubby did his Instrument six years ago and a still shrink-wrapped manual to go with the King DVD set.

Andy was with a student when I arrived at Panorama to meet him, but the girl at the desk told me he wanted to know if I would use the simulator instead.

We talked for awhile as I gave him my history and he gave me his. He checked my logbook and my passport, then endorsed the logbook to say he had seen my passport. !?!

Then we flew the simulator for nearly an hour. Somehow it never actually seemed like anything other than a game machine. It is surprising how much I depend upon the sound and feel to know what the plane is doing. Nevertheless, I couldn't keep the needles where I wanted them. Pitch control is over-sensitive, and yaw- control is heavy or lags. Not sure which.

In the middle of a right turn, I remembered to use rudder and while fixing that problem, completely lost altitude and heading control. sigh.:redface: From that point forward, the "flying" was sometimes right on and other times a disaster.:yinyang: When done, I wiped the sweat from my palms.

He checked my logbook and my passport, then endorsed the logbook to say he had seen my passport. !?!

Dem's da rules these days. Your government at work. :vomit:

Then we flew the simulator for nearly an hour. Somehow it never actually seemed like anything other than a game machine. It is surprising how much I depend upon the sound and feel to know what the plane is doing. Nevertheless, I couldn't keep the needles where I wanted them. Pitch control is over-sensitive, and yaw- control is heavy or lags. Not sure which.

And now you know why everyone says that if you can fly the sim, you can fly the airplane. Those little cues in sound and feel that you get in the airplane alert you to look for deviations, and without them you have to have a really good scan to keep control of the sim. After a few lessons in the sim, get in the airplane and see how good you've really gotten!

Back