First icy runways during IFR training last night...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
On a good note, I had a great IFR training flight, nailed my glide slope and localizer better than I ever have before and even hit the right speeds this time - all right down to the minimums at KLBE before doing a touch-and-go. I'm an IFR newbie, so those little things excite me when I do them right! The interesting thing for me was that the runways were snow/ice and that was a first. It turned out to be a non-event, as my CFI probably knew beforehand, but I was sweating it a little. Both landings were very smooth (for me), so my GF told me later only half-sarcastically that I was probably cushioned by all that snow and ice. The full-stop back home was an exercise in using caution with the brakes so I let her roll a while longer than usual but, again, nothing bad.

I think the worst part was making sure my wings didn't hit any of the plowed snowdrifts on either side of the taxiways...

At any rate, I get to chalk up another 1.4 hours of hood time and add to my approach count...

Sounds like a good evening of flying! If you have wheel pants be careful of taxing through them. They could be ice, ask me how I know. :rolleyes2:

Congrats, learning to fly in new conditions (or land) keeps the flying interesting. Just remember limit or dont use brakes on icy runway and fly the plane during taxi.

I will never forget meeting the examiner for my Instrument check ride on the runway day before Christmas. As we both stood there and looked down we could see the runway markings under 2" of clear ice. Apparently the snow had melted and re-froze multiple times thru out the week. I was thinking this was a trick and he was waiting for me to re-schedule or I would fail.
SO when he asked me what I thought and should we go my response was "we have 4000' of runway and calm winds so I'm comfortable" (Its Michigan in winter, so this was not unusual)

His response was "Great, just wanted to make sure you were comfortable with it, Lets go" That reinforced the fact I was PIC and all went well.

Fun! The biggest memory I have of ice on runways during my brief foray in the great white north was a strong 90° x-wind on a runway which had patches of ice followed by patches of dry pavement.
You would slide along the ice in a crab (if you wanted to maintain anywhere near the centerline), hit the asphalt where you would jerk around to a mostly straightened-out alignment, then the next patch of ice you would have to re-establish the crab again..then yikes, more pavement, then more ice...

Biggest ice problem is the plow pushes up ridges and they freeze. If you taxi over them too fast, you can break something (like a tailwheel or nosewheel). Go slow over those icy ridges, as slow as you can.

The fixed gear I have flown have always had their pants removed before winter (sounds cruel). I am not sure of how many planes can have them removed. But it seems like a good idea with snow and ice if they can

i have never personally had an issue with our retract in winter, but I have heard stories of people who get snow or ice and the gear won't transition correctly.

Fun! The biggest memory I have of ice on runways during my brief foray in the great white north was a strong 90° x-wind on a runway which had patches of ice followed by patches of dry pavement.
You would slide along the ice in a crab (if you wanted to maintain anywhere near the centerline), hit the asphalt where you would jerk around to a mostly straightened-out alignment, then the next patch of ice you would have to re-establish the crab again..then yikes, more pavement, then more ice...

That's where the phrase "fly it all the way to parking" comes from!

I once lined up to land on the median between the runway and the taxiway. I caught it and moved over, but not until I was almost in the flair. What happened was because the median looked the same as the runway. It was daytime but the lights weren't on. I didn't catch it until I was able to see the blue lights (which weren't lit). I landed safely but the guy behind me had to go around.

It was snowing and the wind was blowing, and there were "snow cups" sort of like little wind drift mogul dotting the runway, median, and taxiway. They made it so all three of these look the same. The lights weren't on so you couldnt see the blue lights from very far away and I mistook the median for the runway. Those snow cups can make those surfaces look all the same..

I probably should have gone around. I would have if I had known someone was behind me. I was the one that lined up wrong. He had to go around because he had run up on me while I got straigtened out....

Last edited:
Biggest problem I've had with ice and snow was trying to do a run-up without skidding down the taxiway.

Biggest problem I've had with ice and snow was trying to do a run-up without skidding down the taxiway.
This. But I'm pretty snow-shy and will not land on any runway that doesn't look reasonably clear, so that situation is about my only experience with it.

Considering where I am now though, I've thought about trying Alton Bay one of these days, once my plane gets out of the shop. Does anyone know if it ever opened this year?

I have definitely done a few skidding run ups. If I think it is going to be bad, I just do it on the roll on the taxiway.

Oh man here in AZ at 7:00 AM it's 45--Way too cold to fly. I'll wait till Noon when it'll be 68. That's still a bit chilly but doable.

Oh man here in AZ at 7:00 AM it's 45--Way too cold to fly. I'll wait till Noon when it'll be 68. That's still a bit chilly but doable.

I feel you brother:lol: We got down to near 55* last night. I hate these frigid winters;)

Last snow picture I have is two years ago, only on the mountains - the stuff never sticks on the ground around here.

I am aiming my snowblower in your direction. I feel guilty not sharing some of the wealth.

The problem I have encountered is when the taxiway is not completely iced-over or covered with snow, because if it's slippery it's a no brainer. I got caught a few times when the brakes seemed to grab and plane seemed deceptively steady just prior to runup, and then I'd be staring at some gauge and suddenly, via peripheral vision at first, realize I am moving.:yikes:
But after a couple of times of using up your good luck budget, you end up being very careful to keep one eye outside during runup.

Back