First flights

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
One of my favorite things about being a pilot has been giving first flights to kids (and a few parents) who've never flown in an airplane before. I've been fortunate to do that several times already, probably because I live in an area where lots of folks can't afford to travel by air. Small, rural East Texas towns aren't exactly known for jet setters.

I've been thinking that this could be a fun thing to do as a non-profit activity. I know Young Eagles and the Boy Scouts do similar programs for kids, but what I have in mind would be for adults, too. Basically, if you haven't been in a plane before, jump in. Let's go flying! I don't care if you're 8 or 80, I think everybody should have a chance to experience flight.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have that thought. Any organizations already do something like that? There are bound to be lots of pitfalls, but I like the thought of spending my time and money getting newcomers into the sky. Anybody with the desire should be able to fly at least once in their life.

i'm with you 100%. i get so much joy from flying abd i want to share that experience especially with those who have never flown before. i took my bro-in-law up last week for his first GA ride. he's a semi-nervous flier on the airlines but he did fine.

One of my favorite things about being a pilot has been giving first flights to kids (and a few parents) who've never flown in an airplane before. I've been fortunate to do that several times already, probably because I live in an area where lots of folks can't afford to travel by air. Small, rural East Texas towns aren't exactly known for jet setters.

I've been thinking that this could be a fun thing to do as a non-profit activity. I know Young Eagles and the Boy Scouts do similar programs for kids, but what I have in mind would be for adults, too. Basically, if you haven't been in a plane before, jump in. Let's go flying! I don't care if you're 8 or 80, I think everybody should have a chance to experience flight.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have that thought. Any organizations already do something like that? There are bound to be lots of pitfalls, but I like the thought of spending my time and money getting newcomers into the sky. Anybody with the desire should be able to fly at least once in their life.

I think LightSpeed Girl (Margarita Rivera) is doing something like what you're suggesting...:yes::yes::yes:
Here is the link to her You Tube and Facebook sites of some of her flights...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFINMISNwr4mJanGyKtQiw

https://www.facebook.com/lightsportgirl/

btw, I agree it would be a great way to help grow GA...:yes:

I think the idea is really good....

Around KDTO, a flight club is forming (see the posts in the Facebook group, North Texas Aviators). One of their really cool ideas is to periodically hold an "airport community" day where they would start with a social media blast to invite the town out to the airport, and then have a simple General Aviation show to allow folks to see our machines up close, get questions answered, and be taking for a short flight around the patch.

Back