first flight

swamp crawler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
swamp crawler
Went to fly by knight here in hammond louisiana. Never been in a plane before. My first time was in a piper warrior with a 12mph wind gusting to 20 and I had full controll of the aircraft from engine start to cut off. Absolutely amazing, terrifieing, and addicting. I think I'm in love with it. :)

It was really cool. I'm 19 years old so I'm gettin an early start I think. Workin in chemical plants to pay for flying lessons. I'd like to be able to fly for a living. I'm also 6ft5, 338 pounds so its just a little cramped in the little warrior. And I have to fly with a very light instructor lol. But I can't wait to get behind the controlls again.

But I can't wait to get behind the controls again.

It's addicting isn't it!

Welcome aboard Swamp!

Heroin? Cocaine? Those things aren't addicting. Now FLYING OTOH, THERE is something that is addicting.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Swamp!

Heroine? Cocaine? Those things aren't addicting. Now FLYING OTOH, THERE is something that is addicting.

I never cared for cocaine. But there's a heroine to whom I am addicted.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Nice, a fellow Louisianian. I've thought about renting the Grumman Cougar over at Fly By Knight, so I can get my multi-engine rating. I've been flying for a couple of years now and I didn't want to go up today because of the wind: props to you.

Used to wish new pilots good weather. Now I wish a good budget.

Used to wish new pilots good weather. Now I wish a good budget.

U got that right. It hurts just thinkin about what this is going to cost.

Challenged, where in louisiana are you from? And the folks at fly by knight are really cool. Always happy (if a bit off the wall) and very helpful.

It was really cool. I'm 19 years old so I'm gettin an early start I think. Workin in chemical plants to pay for flying lessons. I'd like to be able to fly for a living. I'm also 6ft5, 338 pounds so its just a little cramped in the little warrior. And I have to fly with a very light instructor lol. But I can't wait to get behind the controlls again.

Welcome to the group.......:yesnod::yesnod::)

If you are really interested in getting your PPL I would suggest visiting the doc for a class 3 medical.. Just so something bad does not show up later in training that would prevent you from getting the ticket....:redface:

I live in New Roads right now, but will probably be moving to Zachary in the near future. I hangar my Beech Sierra at KHZR.

Welcome to the group.......:yesnod::yesnod::)

If you are really interested in getting your PPL I would suggest visiting the doc for a class 3 medical.. Just so something bad does not show up later in training that would prevent you from getting the ticket....:redface:
And I'll pop in with the obligatory "make sure that you'll pass the medical before you start on ANY FAA paperwork!" This is discussed ad naeuseum in other threads, but I (or others) will be happy to expound further on it if you have any questions.

And I'll pop in with the obligatory "make sure that you'll pass the medical before you start on ANY FAA paperwork!" This is discussed ad naeuseum in other threads, but I (or others) will be happy to expound further on it if you have any questions.

And I'll pop in with the obligatory "Don't go to get your medical until you are sure you are going to pass". Be aware of the risks of failure. And the sport pilot option.

i do need to go on and take care of the medical. i looked at the requirements and the only thing that may be a problem is cardio-vascular health later in life, as my family history is less than perfect in that area. wouldnt hurt me to go ahead and quit smokeing and drop about 50 pounds either i suppose. :/

i do need to go on and take care of the medical. i looked at the requirements and the only thing that may be a problem is cardio-vascular health later in life, as my family history is less than perfect in that area. wouldnt hurt me to go ahead and quit smokeing and drop about 50 pounds either i suppose. :/

If you are concerned about failing, schedule an appointment for CONSULTATION for the medical certificate. That way they will not have to deny you, which if so would make you ineligible for Light Sport.

Have you actually had a documented heart problem or do you currently have a heart problem of any kind? If not, you will probably be okay, but don't let my signature fool you. I am NOT a doctor. Doc is a nickname that I picked up in the Army.

There is a section of POA that discusses such issues with a Flight Surgeon, or maybe even more than one who are very helpful. It is Medical Topics in the Confidential Subjects area.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

swamp crawler- I have been sorting out things for my medical before starting lessons at the suggestions of the folks on this forum. LISTEN to them, they definitely know their stuff, and I don't want to think of how far behind I would be if I didn't listen to them and take my time.
I just quit smoking about two weeks ago and I already feel better, even though I didn't feel bad before, and I'd been smoking for 15/16 years. Hands down the best choice I've made. It certainly will improve your cardiovascular health.
Again, take the advice you get on this forum, it is INVALUABLE!!! (and free)

Medical was a rude awakening for me. I consider myself to be healthy. 31 y/o, do not smoke or drink. Could stand to lose few pounds, but nothing major. But I failed the vision test in that machine they give you. Had to go to the wall and read letters. So now I consider myself lucky to have medical cert.

So, before you sink a thousand or two into flight training, get your medical.

In flying 50 lbs is often another hour+ fuel if you have a small plane, or the ability to take another adult passenger or just a child. If nothing else it costs you speed, fuel efficiency, handling, and will increase your minimum energy into a crash. If you have 50 lbs to lose, get to it.

Right now unless you are grossly unhealthy or currently diseased, you will most like pass your third class but set up an appointment for a consultation to get evaluated first and DO NOT fill out the form until the doctor has seen you and thinks you will pass. A denial will deny you drivers license medical SP/LSA, which you'll really need to lose weight for just to fit an instructor and an hour's fuel.

Last edited:
Back