First flight of civilian Su-27 Flanker

Russians make some damn good airframes.

Lots of dissimilar corrosion issues, but if you have a hammer and a chisel you can fix just about anything on one. :D

Yep! Not a problem. The Marines maintain their planes with ballpean hammers, so why shouldn't we?

I know they are or at least were built for expendability.

Matt,

I'm in. I'll pay you the next time we see eachother.

$10 * 4041 current members is only $40,410.
You might need to increase the buy in charge a little Matt.

I looked at a spec sheet on the sale site...at current prices, it'll take over $16k just to fill the fuel tanks.:yikes:

I'd make a serious inquiry, but I'm looking for a bird that can climb out of the top end of Class A...and this one has a ceiling in the mid-50s...I just want to get up to FL610 and utter the magic words "Cancel IFR"

I looked at a spec sheet on the sale site...at current prices, it'll take over $16k just to fill the fuel tanks.:yikes:

I'd make a serious inquiry, but I'm looking for a bird that can climb out of the top end of Class A...and this one has a ceiling in the mid-50s...I just want to get up to FL610 and utter the magic words "Cancel IFR"

I really liked that short ground roll. I'll bet it was tough to stay below the speed limit on climbout.

Trapper John

That would at least pay for a hop around the patch. I call shotgun.

Deal, I'll fly it. ;)

One of my friends and I have been talking about wanting to do this for a while with a piston aircraft. It'd be quite the challenge, especially from a cooling perspective.

Continental O-300s got to 67,000' in the Boeing Condor. No peeps on board, though. I think the engines had water jackets on the cylinders.

M

Continental O-300s got to 67,000' in the Boeing Condor. No peeps on board, though. I think the engines had water jackets on the cylinders.

Well, we'd want people and clearly a Continental wouldn't do the job for me. ;)

. . . this one has a ceiling in the mid-50s...I just want to get up to FL610 and utter the magic words "Cancel IFR"

My guess is ATC would be OK with you going direct at FL550. . . .:rolleyes:

My guess is ATC would be OK with you going direct at FL550. . . .:rolleyes:

It's not about getting direct (I'm able to get that in the low altitudes a lot of the time). It's about being ABOVE the Class A airspace.

Deal, I'll fly it. ;)

One of my friends and I have been talking about wanting to do this for a while with a piston aircraft. It'd be quite the challenge, especially from a cooling perspective.

isn't it already cold enough up there for you? :)

before too long gliders will be flying higher than 60K, I hope.

isn't it already cold enough up there for you? :)

True, sadly the hard part is getting enough of that cold air over the engine. Stupid airflow being what keeps these things cool... Imagine OATs of -50 and you've still got 500F CHTs.

before too long gliders will be flying higher than 60K, I hope.

Now that would be cool!

The other bonus of getting up to FL610 and cancelling IFR is you could go cruise around over Washington DC without molestation or filing any kind of flight plan. The rule for the ADIZ and FRZ bound them at FL180, so you wouldn't be in them. Same goes for P-56 which also tops out at 18,000

Wouldn't you need a pressurized suit or plane to go that high? I seem to remember seeing somewhere that above FL400 that your body can't absorb enough O2 to sustain consciousness.

Wouldn't you need a pressurized suit or plane to go that high? I seem to remember seeing somewhere that above FL400 that your body can't absorb enough O2 to sustain consciousness.

Armstrong's Line is more like 60,000 feet. Einevoldson and Faucett wore pressure suits on their flight to 50K. the problem with pressure suits is they are hard to buy and come with a lot of support equipment that you have to know how to operate.

the plan for the Perlan Project part 2 is to build a pressurized cabin for the sailplane.

Just keep in mind that while not recommended people have flown in the mid 400 flight levels without pressure suits. Paul Bikle got up to 46,267' in a 1-23 back in 1961. IIRC all he used was an A-14 diluter demand regulator.

Those early wave guys were nuts!

Not to mention that all the Flanker series need new engine cores every 500-ish hours.

Flanker will get above 60. Eagles have been there and they have more wing and thrusties than us.

Back