First flight in 468 days

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
Hey all,

Just had my first flight in over a year last night, and couldn;t have asked for a better time getting back in the saddle.. Flew up to OKB with my CFII, shot the VOR-A approach, a little behind the airplane, but not bad, flew a perfect ILS into CRQ, and then back to MYF for some landings after a decent RNAV approach to 28R. When i quit flying, i was just about ready for the instrument ride, and it was amazing how the muscles really do remember what to do. I'm sure she was blowing a little smoke, but she even commented it was like i hadn't been away for long.

Sometimes it works out that way.

I had an easy time back into the airplane when I took 13 months away from getting my Private ticket. However, my training deficiencies didn't show up until several months after having my ticket. Thankfully, I was able to figure out enough to be able to diagnose and describe the problem here, get some advice to get me going the way I should have been going in the first place.

Good on ya for grabbing an instructor for your 1st flight back in over a year.

Unfortunately, not everyone is so prudent.

There's a ten year gap in my logbook, so I know how you feel. Won't let it happen again.

I'm in a similar situation, I did not complete my instrument ticket because my company moved me to another state
where aviation was near non-exsistant.
At the time I had my written completed and all my hourly requirements met and was only a few days away from taking my check ride.
Well that was a few years ago and now I'm ready to get it done, but I don't have another $8-9000 dollars to start from square one.
So my dilema is how do I get restarted without taking the whole entire course over again, especially the flights.
I don't mind having to watch Martha and John again for hours on end, I don't even mind having to retake the written again.
I have a fixed amount of money that I can spend towards my instrument training that can not exceed $4000, so I wonder if that would be enough to get it done or would I just be wasting my money and end up not being able to complete it.
Financing is NOT an option.:nono:

I'm in a similar situation, I did not complete my instrument ticket because my company moved me to another state
where aviation was near non-exsistant.
At the time I had my written completed and all my hourly requirements met and was only a few days away from taking my check ride.
Well that was a few years ago and now I'm ready to get it done, but I don't have another $8-9000 dollars to start from square one.
So my dilema is how do I get restarted without taking the whole entire course over again, especially the flights.
I don't mind having to watch Martha and John again for hours on end, I don't even mind having to retake the written again.
I have a fixed amount of money that I can spend towards my instrument training that can not exceed $4000, so I wonder if that would be enough to get it done or would I just be wasting my money and end up not being able to complete it.
Financing is NOT an option.:nono:
I would think that the hours you already have toward your IFR are still valid and you should be able to find a CFII that would accept them if you can demonstrate you are able to do the requirements for the checkride. Another option is to call your original CFII and see if you can finish up with them after showing them you can do it. I may be cheaper to fly out to them, take a few refresher lessons, and then take your checkride. Last option is going to one of the schools that advertise that they can help you finish what you started, or I believe some CFII will travel to you. I cannot believe any of these options would break your bank. Your written is good for two years and so if you took it less than two years ago it is still good.

However that being said, is it worth getting it if you are not going to be able to use it regularly and stay proficient and safe.

Doug

However that being said, is it worth getting it if you are not going to be able to use it regularly and stay proficient and safe.

Doug
I can afford to fly an average of once per week or 8-10 hours per month, so I figure that should be enough to stay proficient.

Back