First Dual X-C Yesterday

t0r0nad0

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
PJ Gustafson
So, after having to scrub my first scheduled dual x-c flight on Sunday due to the #$!$ weather, I was able to go after work yesterday with my instructor. We took off from SGR and went to CLL and back, about 70nm each way. I planned the flight myself during the day when I had a slow time at work, so I planned my route to go over Westheimer Airport (O07) and Houston Executive Airport (78T), where I intercepted the 143 radial to the CLL VORTAC and followed the Victor Airway to the airport. I got my weather briefing (by the way, the last 3 times I called FSS, I got a briefer IMMEDIATELY, no hold times, maybe LM is seeing the light!), and planned the flight according to my interpolated guess as to the winds aloft at my flight altitude. I'm proud to say, all of my ground speed and time calculations were nearly DEAD ON! I was only 1-2 kts off on my ground speed, at most! It's amazing how complex, yet simple, that little E6B really is. That's such a cool and useful device. I'm pretty proud, considering it was my first time to plan a flight by myself. Anyway, we did a soft-field touch & go at CLL, then came right back to SGR. My instructor told me that he was impressed at my ability to deviate around and under the clouds along the route, and still manage to get back to my plotted course and hit my checkpoints. He also said that he enjoys flying with me because he can just sit back and relax and he doesn't have to do anything. I consider that to be a pretty good compliment. You guys were right about how flying a x-c and hitting your checkpoints makes you feel like a "real" pilot! I can't wait for my solo x-c.

Well, tomorrow we're going to fly to Chambers County (T00), which will take us across the Houston Class B. There is a corridor that runs between IAH and HOU that lets you go under the class B's 2000ft shelf, which conveniently goes right along I-10. So, I'll plan the flight under 2 scenarios... 1) flying at 1900ft, below the class B shelf, and 2) flying at 3000 ft, if we can get clearance into the Class B. The Houston Class B is pretty GA-friendly, so if we wanted to get cleared through it, we shouldn't have much of a problem.

With the 1.6 Dual X-C yesterday, I finally broke the 30-hr mark and now have 30.5 in the logbook. I'm pretty much on pace to get my ticket at around 40-45, if all continues to go well! I'll keep y'all posted!

Last edited:
Keep a lookout flying the I-10 corridor, I've AH-64's and Super Cubs using it. ;)

Yeah, I'll keep the eyes peeled and I'm planning on utilizing flight following as well. I've flown it a couple of times in my mentor's Bonanza, and it was helpful to have the GNS 530 Fish Finder (of course, we kept our eyes outside as well... not everyone has Mode S). I'm sure I'll be missing that when flying in the 172N tomorrow.

Back