First Cross Country

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
I have been taking too many jabs and stabs at threads on this board, so I figure it is time to make a slightly-sober attempt at a benchmark post.

I did my first (dual) cross country flight today (15G-16G-MFD-15G) and I have to say that it was AWESOME. I think I'm going to be a "go places" sort of a pilot when I'm done rather than a "poke holes in the sky" sort of pilot, so being able to leave the practice area even supervised was an awesome treat for me.

As expected, my instructor kept yelling at me for going off course, and it was amusing to work out why I was doing it. At some point early in my training, my CFI told me to stop playing with the rudder and "keep my damn feet on the floor". It isn't that I stopped using the rudder altogether, but given his chastisement, I really didn't use them to help hold my course. On our last leg, my CFI finally said "use your rudder to hold your course". Wow, that's a lot easier =P

On the way to 16G my instructor claimed to "not know where he was" and tended to question me a lot on my checkpoints, which I would with a great deal of angst and frustration stab the sectional, gesture out the window, and say "Look! Town, diagonal railroad tracks! We are RIGHT THERE!" at which point he would back off and say "ok ok fine we're there". I have a bit of background in woodsman navigation, so at the very least I can coordinate a map with what I see out the window to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure he feigned lost with much showmanship, but I know the guy too well to fall for it.

This was also my first approach to a towered field, and I have to say (aside from the fact that 9000' >>> my home 2300' runway) it was really nice. We were approaching MFD and my instructor asked if I could see the runway. I thought I could, but not having been there before, I couldn't say for sure. He advised me to call the tower and ask for a vector and I'll be damned they pointed me right at it. That's so much easier than what I'm used to out in the country... With my CAP communications experience and with some thanks to Live ATC, I was able to work through the towered field communications like I'd been doing it all my life.

In the end, we made it back just before dark, and I've been grinning ear to ear ever since. This is the happiest I've been in my flight training. I can't wait to do my solo CC (and to play with my non-approved GPS), and even more so to get signed off to venture farther afield. Really for the first time since I've been training I feel like there is a proverbial "big world out there" for me to explore, and I'm getting closer to being ready for it.

Ok, back to my lurking and taking potshots!

Last edited:
Re: First CC

Congratulations on your XC! You're right... you'll love the solo XC time out on your own. I have 5.5 hours to go before I can take my check ride and I'm having a great time.

On your next XC, once stabilized in cruise, pick a point on the horizon that has a good visible landmark that lines up with something on the cowl after you're on your heading. Keep it in the exact same spot, and you won't have to look inside at all to hold a heading within a degree or two, easily... for 30 minutes or so. Then pick a new landmark.

I don't like that your instructor told you to "leave your feet on the floor", he should have been saying, "keep the ball centered". For small corrections in cruise, rudder only is fine, but you might as well get used to using aileron and rudder in tiny coordinated ways. Accuracy counts. How far off were you?

When you transition up to something bigger with rudder trim, you can get the aircraft dead-level and then trim so the ball is perfectly centered and you'll find that spot on the horizon stays in the right place all by itself. You can practice that tiny amount of trim with elevator trim too. Without rudder trim, you may find that the aircraft flies a little cockeyed. Also happens with a fuel imbalance.

On my VFR flight back from Nebraska in December, I played around with shifting the CG of the aircraft.

I got it completely trimmed on course and on altitude and then played with climbing and descending small amounts, just by just sliding my seat forward and backward.

This, of course, requires a smooth day with zero turbulence, but it's fun to play with. And it shows how accurate the aircraft can be set up to "fly itself" hands-off.

You can get any Cessna that's not horribly out of rig to fly straight and level and then play with it the same way.

Just make sure you do the "Cessna butt wiggle" and confirm that seat is locked in the seat track before you start your descent for landing...

This is the happiest I've been in my flight training.

I'm glad that you had so much fun! Congrats on your first xc!

BTW, you need to post more so we can look at that cute little face in your profile pic. :)

Yes, there are two phases to flight training, learning to fly and land and the rest of it. Once you get to the rest of it, it's a whole new world.

On your next XC, once stabilized in cruise, pick a point on the horizon that has a good visible landmark that lines up with something on the cowl after you're on your heading. Keep it in the exact same spot, and you won't have to look inside at all to hold a heading within a degree or two, easily... for 30 minutes or so. Then pick a new landmark.
I actually do that pretty well. It was just the fact that I was drifting periodically 5ish degrees to the right, and I could tell easily by my landmarks moving off. I'm positive in my tiny little 152 it was CG drift. Once I used small rudder correction I was able to hold a heading quite well. To be honest, I was probably used to flying without anyone in the right seat =) As you said, I'm sure either the plane is rigged a little cockeyed, or more likely I was slightly heavy on the right. It also didn't help that it was pretty hazy during the flight (though not what I would call dangerous), so it wasn't easy to get the best landmarks.

I don't like that your instructor told you to "leave your feet on the floor", he should have been saying, "keep the ball centered". For small corrections in cruise, rudder only is fine, but you might as well get used to using aileron and rudder in tiny coordinated ways. Accuracy counts. How far off were you?
This is a primacy thing. I have certainly made coordinated turns solo, but in this aircraft, it isn't nearly as big a deal. I used to play with the pedals a little bit on final getting a good feeling of the sight picture / alignment and I'm sure I drove my CFI nuts. I'm good now. As I said above, I'd drift about 5 degrees (sometimes a tad more) to the right and then recorrect with aileron, until he finally said "use the damn pedals".

Edit - I should mention that every time I went to fiddle with a map or a radio, I found myself 100-200' off my elevation or 10+ degrees off my heading. That was a real eye opener. I need to trim better and crap.

BTW, you need to post more so we can look at that cute little face in your profile pic. :)
Like my wife says, it is a good thing for him he is cute, because.....

Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone!

Last edited:
I have been taking too many jabs and stabs at threads on this board, so I figure it is time to make a slightly-sober attempt at a benchmark post.

I did my first (dual) cross country flight today (15G-16G-MFD-15G) and I have to say that it was AWESOME. I think I'm going to be a "go places" sort of a pilot when I'm done rather than a "poke holes in the sky" sort of pilot, so being able to leave the practice area even supervised was an awesome treat for me.

As expected, my instructor kept yelling at me for going off course, and it was amusing to work out why I was doing it. At some point early in my training, my CFI told me to stop playing with the rudder and "keep my damn feet on the floor". It isn't that I stopped using the rudder altogether, but given his chastisement, I really didn't use them to help hold my course. On our last leg, my CFI finally said "use your rudder to hold your course". Wow, that's a lot easier =P

On the way to 16G my instructor claimed to "not know where he was" and tended to question me a lot on my checkpoints, which I would with a great deal of angst and frustration stab the sectional, gesture out the window, and say "Look! Town, diagonal railroad tracks! We are RIGHT THERE!" at which point he would back off and say "ok ok fine we're there". I have a bit of background in woodsman navigation, so at the very least I can coordinate a map with what I see out the window to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure he feigned lost with much showmanship, but I know the guy too well to fall for it.

This was also my first approach to a towered field, and I have to say (aside from the fact that 9000' >>> my home 2300' runway) it was really nice. We were approaching MFD and my instructor asked if I could see the runway. I thought I could, but not having been there before, I couldn't say for sure. He advised me to call the tower and ask for a vector and I'll be damned they pointed me right at it. That's so much easier than what I'm used to out in the country... With my CAP communications experience and with some thanks to Live ATC, I was able to work through the towered field communications like I'd been doing it all my life.

In the end, we made it back just before dark, and I've been grinning ear to ear ever since. This is the happiest I've been in my flight training. I can't wait to do my solo CC (and to play with my non-approved GPS), and even more so to get signed off to venture farther afield. Really for the first time since I've been training I feel like there is a proverbial "big world out there" for me to explore, and I'm getting closer to being ready for it.

Don't get too comfortable with that...not all towers have BRITE radars.

Bob Gardner

Don't get too comfortable with that...not all towers have BRITE radars.
I knew where the airport was in relation to the town I was flying over, so I think that exercise was more about learning to use the facility than it was about actually needing a vector. I appreciate the point though. I felt kinda stupid asking anyway.

Congratulations on your XC! You're right... you'll love the solo XC time out on your own. I have 5.5 hours to go before I can take my check ride and I'm having a great time.

I don't understand. Why do you way 5.5 hours before you can take the checkride? Are you not yet at 35/40 hours or what?

I think that exercise was more about learning to use the facility than it was about actually needing a vector. I appreciate the point though. I felt kinda stupid asking anyway.

Don't feel stupid! If nothing else, your CFI was PIC for the flight so he is the one looking stupid. But you are right, it is all in the name of training, so it is more than OK. To communicate that point to ATC, just use the words "Student Pilot" on your initial call. ATC will slow down their speech and become more tolerant of newbie goofs when you do that.

... unless they are having a really bad hair day...

-Skip

Congrats on the X-country....

You are officially HOOKED..:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::wink2:

Ben.

I don't understand. Why do you way 5.5 hours before you can take the checkride? Are you not yet at 35/40 hours or what?
Need to have 10 hours of solo xc time. He probably doesn't have that requirement yet.

Need to have 10 hours of solo xc time. He probably doesn't have that requirement yet.

Small correction. Solo XC time required is 5 hours. It's 10 hours minimum solo that's required. You can buzz around the pattern for those 5 other hours and it should give you enough to be able to take a checkride.

Pattern work is like parking a car, you need to learn how to do it.
XC is Flying!

Solo XC to me was a bigger rush then the first solo. Did your CFI showed you the "Hands are busy with sectional - fly with rudders?" Very useful.

I knew where the airport was in relation to the town I was flying over, so I think that exercise was more about learning to use the facility than it was about actually needing a vector. I appreciate the point though. I felt kinda stupid asking anyway.

Get over that. It's never stupid to utilize all resources available. Even if the only available resource is a cranky controller. ;)

If you can read the chart, steer with rudder, and not spill the CFIs coffee, that's brownie points.

Unfortunately that's the exact moment you'll also suddenly have one of those CFI-induced engine failures, apparently caused by not guarding the throttle quadrant.

Just when you were feeling smug.

Congratulations! I found that tiny cockpit couldn't hold all the stuff - E6B, clipboards, flight plans, sectionals, stopwatch, pens, pencils, etc. Like the world's tiniest desk.

Congratulations. Now comes the fun part.

Back