First Cross Country in 40 Years

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
:D1973 to 2013...that's how long it took me to get back into flying due to career and family. Today's it's off to Catalina Island, not exactly the easiest place to land. I'm as excited (or maybe more so) as I was back then! Wish me luck...the whole flying experience is just a bit more complex now with all the flight rules over LA! :yes:

BobCessna172Catalina_zps87466e7f.jpg

Wow! That's great. I felt the same excitment in 2011 after a ten year hiatus. I only flew for two years due to the same reasons. I'm glad I had my PPL before the break.

Took me about 4hrs of dual to solo again. I thought it would take me longer. How long did it take you? Just curious.

Good luck, enjoy the flight and take a few pictures after you land.

What is your home airport? I'm sitting in my hanger at Cable waiting for the fog to lift. Gonna b a typical CA. weekend:mad2:

Hi guys...to answer questions...I'm at about 4 hours and feel ready to solo, but waiting for medical which I should have shortly. My home airport is VNY, but also thinking about switching to Long Beach. Looks like it's VFR already this morning at VNY and AVX. So I'm on!!!! (Today is with instructor.) Maybe I'll see some of you there? Should arrive 3pm ish.

Hi guys...to answer questions...I'm at about 4 hours and feel ready to solo, but waiting for medical which I should have shortly. My home airport is VNY, but also thinking about switching to Long Beach. Looks like it's VFR already this morning at VNY and AVX. So I'm on!!!! (Today is with instructor.) Maybe I'll see some of you there? Should arrive 3pm ish.

Oh, I thought this was a solo X/C. Eyes playing tricks on me:lol:.
Well enjoy!

:( Someone just called me...said big winds coming in this afternoon. Don't see it on the Forefront weather. Well, I've waited 40 years, I can wait another week. We'll see. :fcross:

:( Someone just called me...said big winds coming in this afternoon. Don't see it on the Forefront weather. Well, I've waited 40 years, I can wait another week. We'll see. :fcross:

Was that someone your instructor ? Check it out for yourself...

Look at the TAF's

TAF's look good. Headed to VNY!

Congrats on getting back into it, enjoy the flight when you're able to take it! Definitely give us a write up and pics after :thumbsup:

You should see if you could find the same plane you flew there in 1973 and do the trip in the same plane.

Back