First Class Medical- Vision

U

Unregistered

I currently hold my third class and will require a first class medical in a few months as I will be attending flight school full time. When I received my third class medical, the AME told me I wouldn't have passed a first class because of my vision. I have 20/30 in my left eye and 20/40 in my right, but I am correctable to 20/20.

I do not currently wear glasses, nor have I for my entire life. Should I go to an eye doctor prior to heading in for my first class physical and get glasses/ contacts to correct me to 20/20?

Well unless you want to waste quite a bit of time and money you should get corrected to 20/20 before the 1st class exam. Contacts are pretty painless these days and since 20/20 is required, this is a no brainer.

Oh I would prefer to have 20/20, I just didn't know if it would be worth the money to get Lasik or PRK. But it sounds like it will save me in the long run.

Oh I would prefer to have 20/20, I just didn't know if it would be worth the money to get Lasik or PRK. But it sounds like it will save me in the long run.

Unless you have complications of the surgery only corrects to 20/25, then you still are going to need glasses for the 1st class.

Without going to an eye doctor you don't even know if your condition is correctable by lasik or prk....

Dude, if you're not willing to seek medical help early for any condition that might affect your FAA medical certification then you're going in to the wrong business.

If you're scared of the eye clinic then consult with an AME.

Just crossing your fingers and wandering in to a class 1 physical is asking for trouble! Trouble that will cost you a lot more time, aggravation, and money than just getting the issue taken care of beforehand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back