Been there-Done that

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
Low altitude siteseeing flight into Boston Class B. Roughly 5 miles southeast of Logan. First time. Kind of a nonevent.
So this got me thinking. Have you flown through Class B? Landed there? Student, Private, other?

Many times through STL class b, as a student, private and IR.
So long as your radio work is "up" and you can hold a heading and altitude, it is a non event.

Mark B

CLT on my way to IGX shortly after getting my ticket. On the way to IGX they routed me along the outside of the Bravo, but on the way back, I got to cross directly over the field (about 1:00 AM). Poor 747 had to extend their downwind for me to get out of the way.

As a private pilot i went through Class B ,they sent me Right over JFK in NY, then the other class B event was Into and landing in the ADIZ at Dulles International. Both where Non-Events.
Dave G

Been into Houston's Bravo, VFR, several times last summer when I was down there.

Grant, if I go to 1C5 IFR on the VOR-A off JOT, do I ever get into the B? That's the only time I've ever talked to Chicago Approach (Or should I say, the only time they've ever talked to me!) but I don't think I actually got into the airspace.

Shipoke said:
As a private pilot i went through Class B ,they sent me Right over JFK in NY, then the other class B event was Into and landing in the ADIZ at Dulles International. Both where Non-Events.
Dave G

Don't forget the Philly class B last Monday Dave.:yes:

I fly from an airport located under the Philadelphia Class B so It's pretty routine to fly through it. I've also flown through the New York Class B.

I don't think I flew in class B as a student at all though.

Your right Lee i forgot Philly,and all where done VFR
Dave G

First time was as a fixed-wing student on my 2nd xc - Philly approach cleared me (and I wasn't signed off for it, and wasn't planning to go in) into bravo.

What's the question? I've operated in Denver, Phoenix, LA, Seattle, Dallas, and Houston. Never landed at a primary Cls B airport yet.

Been over,under, around or through most of the class Bs, not counting the circus in DC, the only one that was a problem was ATL, those boys dont know a thing about southern hospitality.

Easiest gotta be LA.

Ive been around the MSP and Memphis Bravos, only one Ive actually been in is Kansas City, was a piece of cake, im actually headed back there tommorow morning!

Growing my wings in the Dallas area, under the shelf, it was always either fly through the Bravo going south or west, or fly way outta the way.

With our very helpful controllers, it's an easy thing here.

Since my first serious flying was done (as a student) in Nashua, NH, so we went into the Bravo quite a bit. I've also done Denver's Bravp and Minneapolis's bravo.

I have 2 bravo primary airports in my book - KBOS and KMSP.

I voted for other before I thought about it, but I've been into the Boston B as a PPL and commercial pilot (I go in to the bravo regularly when I do the traffic watch), and I was in the San Diego and Las Vegas bravo airspaces when I was doing my long X/C for the commercial rating. Definitely not a big deal.
I guess I've also been in the NY bravo IFR and the Philly IFR.

Not yet. I live in Chicago.

We don't have ATC services and I gather you need that to get into a Class B.

I flew over Cleveland at 8500 on a nice clear day while talking to them.

Landed at 12 Class B airports so far, including DFW in a "light plane". Fly through MEM Class B often. The only airspace ever vectored away from was ORD. They didn't want me within 30 miles of the outer shelf. The rest were non-events.

silver-eagle said:
Low altitude siteseeing flight into Boston Class B. Roughly 5 miles southeast of Logan. First time. Kind of a nonevent.
So this got me thinking. Have you flown through Class B? Landed there? Student, Private, other?

I voted Student and Other -- as I have flown through on a dual XC and once into Logan (BOS) on an Angel Flight with my instructor.

Was rather fun to fly into Logan the first time in a twin beech - not sure I would want to do it all the time though, as they had us flying all over the place to sequence us in.

CLT, MEM, DTW, CLE, PHL, ATL.

Never had a problem with any of them. Was VFR at ATL - who were super accommodating. Got 5500' right over Hartsfield from the strip right next to the Speedway to McCollum-Cobb RYY. Not even a sigh from the controller when I requested. Must have been in the way that I asked, because they were as busy as....well.....Atlanta, and they vectored me right through and were very nice.

PHL practically gave me a guided tour of the city Saturday evening after Wings this year. Was IFR through the rest of them. Was Private-IA before I ever entered a B space.

I trained at an airport 5NM and an airport 12 NM from EWR. Class B endorsement was a critical part of my student pilot days.

The only bravo I have ever been in is Minneapolis. Most of the time when I depart the twin cities I will pick up a Bravo clearance depending on my direction of flight. Sometimes it's much easier to simply skirt underneath the airspace.

Most of my arrivals are done by approaching underneath the Bravo.

One of my first cross countries was to a destination in the Vegas class B. A learning adventure and fun. Ater that, conquered Phoenix. Non-event. Usually got vectors that were more efficient than the standard VFR arrivals.

As a PP student, my CFI took me through B on a transition, good for the radio experience. One or two flghts later, CFI took me back for a touch & go at the B airport. After those flights, I lost any fear about B-airspace, but also gained a new respect for the skills it takes to 'do it right'. Haven't had the need or opportunity to go through Bravo since, though.

I have flown into KMEM several times. As another has said, it's a non event as long as you hear those magic words "cleared into Bravo".

I landed a Cessna 150 at STL (Lambert) with my instructor. Tower said get in and get out, I have a 747 on a 10 mile final.

PHL during my night x/c, CFI in right seat, AOPA mentor in the back, commercial aircraft under us for a change. Very cool.

only on an IFR flight plan. Never needed to even though I fly out a field and trained on another under the Philly Bravo shelf

I was training at Blue Ash when CVG became a Class B. I've been through a bunch of 'em, including CVG, CLE, CLT, RDU, IAD/BWI/Washington, MEM, STL, DAL/DFW, HOU, PHX, LAS, MSY and a couple of others, mostly IFR, occasionally VFR. I've also been into several Chicago area airports (including MDW), but ATC carefully kept me out of the Class B.

flyingcheesehead said:
Grant, if I go to 1C5 IFR on the VOR-A off JOT, do I ever get into the B? That's the only time I've ever talked to Chicago Approach (Or should I say, the only time they've ever talked to me!) but I don't think I actually got into the airspace.

You don't go near the class B. The floor of B at 1C5 is 3600, and the FAF altitude is around 2300. Plus, all approaches to 1C5 come in from the south, and the class B only extends about 5 miles south of 1C5.

Leslie or I told our story of being cleared through the Chicago Class B while VFR here a little while ago, so I won't repeat it here.

I will mention that I got my brand new IFR ticket wet this weekend -- twice. Details in the "Checkride Saturday" thread!

Flew in/around LAX Class B as a student, hard to avoid since its about 2 miles from my home airport. regularly flew into Oakland, Las vegas, SFO, San Diego, etc as a student. Only made it to LAX after I got my license, though.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I think it was out of Honolulu, as a new private pilot.
Me too. Got my private flying in & out of HNL 90-91:yes:

I guess my main reason for posting this poll was to find out what others thought about Class B and to encourage anyone to take the step. It is a big milestone, but not really. Overall, I think the "Private" vs "Student" shows that it really isn't a big deal. As far as I'm concerned, while there were a couple of extra things I did ahead of time (I called the FSDO, then LOGAN Tower), it was no more dramatic than any Class C or Class D airspace. The real point is... for most of us, it's no big deal. So answer me this... Why did it take me 300 hours to do it?
Don't wait. If the opportunity presents itself, go do it. You'll find what is true for most things. They put their pants on the same way. Cops. CEOs. Pilots. ATC. No big deal. A true nonevent if your planning is done correctly.
I wished I'd done it a year ago!

Back