First catapult launch for the X-47B

I think a real feat is going to be landing on a rolling pitching deck at night.

Y'all really still so damned sure that we won't have autonomous airliners in a decade or two?

Y'all really still so damned sure that we won't have autonomous airliners in a decade or two?

Eh, I don't see a future where there isn't at least one person in the cockpit in case the computer goes haywire.

I think a real feat is going to be landing on a rolling pitching deck at night.

I bet it does it exactly the same as during the day. As far as being able to calculate to meet the deck at the bottom of the trough and adjusting speed to meet the target, I give the plane the odds.

Last edited:
I bet it does it exactly the same as during the day.
Exactly....one thing this puppy has in its favor is that it has no clue (and could probably care less) whether it is night or day.

As far as dealing with a pitching/rolling deck, we'll just have to see how far along we have come with automation. I suspect it will do fine but will have tighter pitch and roll limitations for recovery than the manned aircraft. We shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

F/A-18's can do it already on autopilot.

David

With a real pitching deck, movlas is probably rigged, and it requires a whole lot of help from the LSOs. So a bit outside of the capabilities of the coupled ACLS if it's bad. The ACLS spermy (counter-intuitively called needles) moves around quite a lot if the ship is moving, as it is basically just aiming to get the jet in the right piece of sky by 3/4 of a mile......it needs a relatively stable ship to do this without putting the aircraft potentially in extremis from unpredictable deck movement. It does not have the capability to time power inputs to account for the sin wave movement of a pitching deck. That is what the LSOs are doing manually with the movlas lights with a pitching deck. You then fly kind of an artificial glideslope based on paddles manual movements of movlas that yields some pretty unusual transient sight pictures as the deck moves, but the goal is to fly a stabilized approach not chasing the highs and lows, and arrive at the ramp when the deck is flat. I have actually never known anyone to fly a coupled mode 1 (though obviously it has been done before), let alone into the wires with a pitching deck. In short, it is very seldom used capability, though presumably one that will be used within some limitations for the UCAS.

Last edited:
With a real pitching deck, movlas is probably rigged, and it requires a whole lot of help from the LSOs. So a bit outside of the capabilities of the coupled ACLS if it's bad. The ACLS spermy (counter-intuitively called needles) moves around quite a lot if the ship is moving, as it is basically just aiming to get the jet in the right piece of sky by 3/4 of a mile......it needs a relatively stable ship to do this without putting the aircraft potentially in extremis from unpredictable deck movement. It does not have the capability to time power inputs to account for the sin wave movement of a pitching deck. That is what the LSOs are doing manually with the movlas lights with a pitching deck. You then fly kind of an artificial glideslope based on paddles manual movements of movlas that yields some pretty unusual transient sight pictures as the deck moves, but the goal is to fly a stabilized approach not chasing the highs and lows, and arrive at the ramp when the deck is flat. I have actually never known anyone to fly a coupled mode 1 (though obviously it has been done before), let alone into the wires with a pitching deck. In short, it is very seldom used capability, though presumably one that will be used within some limitations for the UCAS.
Am I correct in the assuming the pitch and roll limits are tighter for the coupled landing?

Am I correct in the assuming the pitch and roll limits are tighter for the coupled landing?

Do you mean pitch and roll of the ship? Ill take a peek in LSO NATOPS and see......like I said, coupled landings are extremely uncommon, so it isn't something that is discussed much if at all. But given the way that an approach is flown during pitching deck conditions, and knowing how the ACLS cueing works, I'd venture a guess that it has to be.

Back