First Backcountry Destination

Bill35

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill35
Hey ya'll I am a new pilot (100hrs). I have a Cessna 182 and would like to dip my toe into some more back country flying. I am based out of Kansas and would love to take a trip this fall/winter to someplace where I can park the plane and just take off hiking and camp for several days. I don't have a ton of experience with grass strips so would prefer to stay on something paved. I know this sounds kinda boring for most of you but gotta start somewhere. I have been looking around the Arkansas area but I am open to other recommendations. Thanks!

I gotta say, my suggestion would be to stay in Kansas and spend a couple flights getting comfortable with grass before trying to do anything camping related. I airplane camp a fair bit and I think I can count on two fingers the number of times I've camped someplace with a paved runway. And both of those were overnights on my way to or from places with more interesting camping.

In any case, here's a good resource for airplane camping.

Many of the good back country flying & camping spots are in remote rugged terrain. I'd also recommend mountain flying courses (whether in person or online from a reliable source), bone up on DA computations & procedures, and hone those soft and short field skills.

Hey ya'll I am a new pilot (100hrs). I have a Cessna 182 and would like to dip my toe into some more back country flying. I am based out of Kansas and would love to take a trip this fall/winter to someplace where I can park the plane and just take off hiking and camp for several days. I don't have a ton of experience with grass strips so would prefer to stay on something paved. I know this sounds kinda boring for most of you but gotta start somewhere. I have been looking around the Arkansas area but I am open to other recommendations. Thanks!
Go up with an instructor or another pilot and practice grass fields take off and landing, try to get something that’s around 2500’ so you get some experience with something that’s short before trying it out solo.

Grass strips are pretty easy, keep it rolling, don’t get stuck, I now bring an air pump in case of a flat tire or air leaks out (happened recently to me), plan your direction of landing and takeoff (not usually based on wind but rather based on trees and slope). In the cooler months, DA isn’t as big of a deal (in the hot summer yes!), stick with lower altitudes until you get familiar with mountain flying. And of course avoid IFR / IMC / night flying until you are more comfortable.

The POA group flew up to Gaston’s recently and we flew to 17A, that’s a grass strip that people camp at and has an outdoor fireplace, pretty nice. I wouldn’t recommend taking off into the trees direction though. Read the comments on foreflight they usually have suggestions.

Also search for RAF airfields online. They are a group that cleans up grass strips and adds basic facilities, toilets, fire pits, etc. All of the ones I’ve been too have been pretty nice. The website below also has a video of 17A. Enjoy and have fun!

Back