First annual

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
When is the date required for the very first annual on an aircraft? A year after delivery, a year after airworthiness certificate issue date, a year after registration date? Something else?

probably year after airworthiness Bob.

When is the date required for the very first annual on an aircraft? A year after delivery, a year after airworthiness certificate issue date, a year after registration date? Something else?
I used a year after airworthiness certificate issue date, as that was the time the airplane was signed off as being airworthy in the logs, which is essentially what an annual does.

91.409(a)(2) States that the date of the issuance of you airworthiness certificate is the starting date. After 12 months you then need to get the annual.

Annual inspections are not required.

Read the whole regulation there are alternatives.

How would you like a maintenance program that never downs your aircraft for more than 8 hours?

read

§ 91.409 Inspections.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft unless, within the preceding 12 calendar months, it has had-

(1) An annual inspection in accordance with part 43 of this chapter and has been approved for return to service by a person authorized by §43.7 of this chapter; or

snip

(d) Progressive inspection. Each registered owner or operator of an aircraft desiring to use a progressive inspection program must submit a written request to the FAA Flight Standards district office having jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant is located, and shall provide-

(1) A certificated mechanic holding an inspection authorization, a certificated airframe repair station, or the manufacturer of the aircraft to supervise or conduct the progressive inspection;

(2) A current inspection procedures manual available and readily understandable to pilot and maintenance personnel containing, in detail-

(i) An explanation of the progressive inspection, including the continuity of inspection responsibility, the making of reports, and the keeping of records and technical reference material;

(ii) An inspection schedule, specifying the intervals in hours or days when routine and detailed inspections will be performed and including instructions for exceeding an inspection interval by not more than 10 hours while en route and for changing an inspection interval because of service experience;

(iii) Sample routine and detailed inspection forms and instructions for their use; and

(iv) Sample reports and records and instructions for their use;

(3) Enough housing and equipment for necessary disassembly and proper inspection of the aircraft; and

(4) Appropriate current technical information for the aircraft.

The frequency and detail of the progressive inspection shall provide for the complete inspection of the aircraft within each 12 calendar months and be consistent with the manufacturer's recommendations, field service experience, and the kind of operation in which the aircraft is engaged. The progressive inspection schedule must ensure that the aircraft, at all times, will be airworthy and will conform to all applicable FAA aircraft specifications, type certificate data sheets, airworthiness directives, and other approved data. If the progressive inspection is discontinued, the owner or operator shall immediately notify the local FAA Flight Standards district office, in writing, of the discontinuance. After the discontinuance, the first annual inspection under §91.409(a)(1) is due within 12 calendar months after the last complete inspection of the aircraft under the progressive inspection. The 100-hour inspection under §91.409(b) is due within 100 hours after that complete inspection. A complete inspection of the aircraft, for the purpose of determining when the annual and 100-hour inspections are due, requires a detailed inspection of the aircraft and all its components in accordance with the progressive inspection. A routine inspection of the aircraft and a detailed inspection of several components is not considered to be a complete inspection.

End quote

set up the progressive inspection correctly and you have no need to tear your aircraft apart once a year. look at your aircraft maintenance manuals you'll see that there is a portion that states a schedule for service, set forth bymanufacturer, that section is 99.44/100% of the time excepted as the progressive inspection schedule.

No you don't have to have annuals.

Last edited:
Read the whole regulation there are alternatives.

How would you like a maintenance program that never downs your aircraft for more than 8 hours?

(d) Progressive inspection. Each registered owner or operator of an aircraft desiring to use a progressive inspection program must submit a written request to the FAA Flight Standards district office having jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant is located, and shall provide-
My school in Gainesville has all the newer birds set up on a progressive inspection program (sometimes inappropriately called "Phase Inspection").

They used the program designed by Cessna that has met muster by several FSDOs, including Atlanta. Even so, it was not an easy task to get it approved.

I don't know what aircraft is involved here but if there is not a program written for it, one would have to be done. Making it from scratch and not a proved program from elsewhere won't be an easy process.

set up the progressive inspection correctly and you have no need to tear your aircraft apart once a year.
No, just one piece at a time on a continuing basis. The progressive maintenance program still has to include every single item that the annual would include. Having worked at flight operations which use this method, I am quite certain that the average owner/pilot will find it a lot bigger headache than the traditional annual.
No you don't have to have annuals.
But you do -- you just spread out the work over the entire year.

No, just one piece at a time on a continuing basis. The progressive maintenance program still has to include every single item that the annual would include. Having worked at flight operations which use this method, I am quite certain that the average owner/pilot will find it a lot bigger headache than the traditional annual.
But you do -- you just spread out the work over the entire year.

Do you replace worn parts when you find them?
Do you service your aircraft IAW the manufacturers recommendations?
Do you change your oil and inspect your engine compartment ever 25/50 hous?
Do you clean your plugs every 50 hours?
Do you check the airpressure in your tires every 50 hours?
Do you do a compression check every 100 hours?

If your maintaining your aircraft the way you should, you are already doing the progressive maintenance program. all that is needed is the paper work, which takes me about 30 minutes to type up, and a phone call to FSDO.

Then the regular A&P can do the inspections sign them off, and the IA only is required to supervise the program, (see that it is being done) and you have no long period of down time.

Remember part 135 phase maintenance is a whole different set of rules, This is not what we are talking about here, Your mentioning it here is typical of the owner confusing the continous maintenance program, with a progressive inspection.

review

§65.93 Inspection authorization: Renewal.
snip
(3) Has performed or supervised and approved at least one progressive inspection in accordance with standards prescribed by the Administrator; or

and you will see why A&P-IAs like the program.

In part 91 there is no reason to postpone maintenance, or defer squaks to the annual maintence period we call an "annual" we should be taking care of the maintenance as it occurs, if you do, log it, and call it a portion of the progressive.

I should be preaching to the choir on this matter.

Last edited:
They used the program designed by Cessna that has met muster by several FSDOs, including Atlanta. Even so, it was not an easy task to get it approved..

I have 3 aircraft under this program, and I have never had any problem getting manufacturers reccomendations approved.

I don't know what aircraft is involved here but if there is not a program written for it, one would have to be done. Making it from scratch and not a proved program from elsewhere won't be an easy process.

Almost every aircraft that I have worked on (that has a maintence manual) has an inspection section, even my old 37 has one.

Every A&P-IA must use an inspection check list during the annual inspection, these sections in the maintenance manuals are more detailed an applicable than the 43-D list given. When asked, the airworthiness inspectors would rather see you using the manufacturers requirements than one you make up by deleting the non applicable items in the 43-D

So, all we do is brake it down into hourly sections as per the manufactueres manual and call each section a portion of the progressive inspection. If you need an example of this look at the Cessna 100 service manual. section 2.

When you follow the rules given in 91.409 - 3 and give FSDO what they require on the first go around, (which most won't/can't) you'll get what you want.

I will give you this thought, if an owner flys 10 hours per year it doesn't make much sence to set up a program that requires 100 flight time to complete. That is why the annual requirement was thought of rather than having all aircraft on a progressive.

But for an owner that flys 450+ hours per year it makes perfect sence.

Last edited:
Do you replace worn parts when you find them?
Do you service your aircraft IAW the manufacturers recommendations?
Do you change your oil and inspect your engine compartment ever 25/50 hous?
Do you clean your plugs every 50 hours?
Do you check the airpressure in your tires every 50 hours?
Do you do a compression check every 100 hours?

If your maintaining your aircraft the way you should, you are already doing the progressive maintenance program.
If you do all the above, you don't even come close to the requirements for a progressive inspection program for a Grumman AA-5-series aircraft per the AA-5B Maintenance Manual. You have to do a whole lot more than "service the aircraft IAW the manufacturer's recommendations" to meet those requirements, including things like pulling the nose strut torque tube assembly, pulling the inspection covers to check for spar corrosion, checking magneto timing, pulling the ailerons to check the bearings, checking the electric fuel pump filter, etc. These items are way above and beyond the manufacturer's servicing recommendations.

In addition, if you're an average owner/pilot flying 50-75 hours a year, the AA-5-series progressive inspection program will have you inspecting the various parts of the airplane less often than if you do a full annual once a year, and I'm not sure the FAA will approve a progressive inspection program under those circumstances.

If you do all the above, you don't even come close to the requirements for a progressive inspection program for a Grumman AA-5-series aircraft per the AA-5B Maintenance Manual. You have to do a whole lot more than "service the aircraft IAW the manufacturer's recommendations" to meet those requirements, including things like pulling the nose strut torque tube assembly, pulling the inspection covers to check for spar corrosion, checking magneto timing, pulling the ailerons to check the bearings, checking the electric fuel pump filter, etc. These items are way above and beyond the manufacturer's servicing recommendations.

In addition, if you're an average owner/pilot flying 50-75 hours a year, the AA-5-series progressive inspection program will have you inspecting the various parts of the airplane less often than if you do a full annual once a year, and I'm not sure the FAA will approve a progressive inspection program under those circumstances.

at 75 hours per year it wouldn't pay..

but to your other points, you would add the required maintenance to the appropriate section of the progressive. (easy do) might take a little more time to write the inspection cycle than my regular 30 minutes. but once the paper is approved the maintence is easy to do, it is all with in the A&Ps ability except the once per year IA visit, which is only a review of the logs to see the required entries.

with all that required maintenance on the grummy, add another reason I don't like them. high price for a few knots.

Back